Where to start?

sam oliver

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
sokspilot
Hi all,

I am a senior in college studying communications. I know I want to learn to become a pilot and hopefully fly for an airline someday. Have been doing some research on flight schools and am contemplating the best way to do it. I want to avoid ATP or any school that just wants my $$, looking for quality instructors and open to 'zero-to-hero' programs as well. Don't think buying an airplane is an option however. Going to have to take out a mighty loan to do this thing but I am motivated and eager to get started.

My question for you all is how would you recommend getting started and what should I look for in local flight schools? Is it better to take it one step at a time (PPL, Commercial, Instrument, etc..) or just try to knock it out with a zero-to-hero program and get my seniority numbers as soon as I can?

Thanks in advance.

Find an AME and make sure you can pass a First Class medical. This is the #1 thing you must do. If you can not, there's no point in looking into the rest.
Then I'd find a Part 141 school. (A lot of Community Colleges have them.) When you're finished, continue on with a second degree so you can support yourself if/when there's ever a down turn in aviation. Also, start stopping by the airport FBO. You never know who you might meet or be able to get a ride from. Good luck!!!

Have you taken in intro flight? That should be one of the first steps. Second would be to make sure you can pass a first class medical.

You might want to look into flying clubs that have a Cfi member.

Agree with @lancie00 to get your first class medical first. That just rules out any unfortunate issues

Does your school offer a flight program ? Sadly, with the new ATP rules you might be better off at a big school to get to your multi atp quicker. Either way it takes finding a school, finding the cash to learn to fly, and finding the cash to get to your CFI so you can start flying for free. It’s a bit expensive getting that far but many do it.

For what it is worth, I did my Flight Instructor ratings at ATP Jacksonville and actually found it to be a great program. I went there for their chief, Walt someone or other who I understand has since retired or died.

They all want your money, some are just more up-front about it than others. I didn't see any of the usual shady dealings during my time with ATP.

$0.02. I'm not affiliated with them. I do have a well-honed spidey sense for aviation BS. They seem low on the BS-o-meter to me.

Strategic level -
1) Your first goal is to learn to love Mac-n-Cheese and Raman noodles. This is a route that doesn't pay well at first, but will make up for it later.
2) After than, you'll want to get to 250 flight hours + private, Instruments, commercial and Flight Instructor ratings.
3a) Then teach as a Flight Instructor for 1-2 years to build time to 1500 hours so you're hirable as an Air Transport Pilot, which is what the airlines need you at to hire you.
3b) Alternately you can try to go to work for certain charter or cargo operations that fly airplanes, but those are harder jobs to get.
4) somewhere on the route to 1500 hours, you'll want to get a Multi-Engine rating and accumulate at least a few hours on that.

First tactical task is to look at the questions on the First Class medical. If you have any yes/explain answer, do a consult with a Aviation Medical Examiner prior to submitting for an exam. Then look for your private ground school and an instructor to fly with.

As others have said, take care of the medical and an intro flight. And I would be a proponent of joining a club if possible, one with multiple aircraft (because planes go down for mx all the time) and with available CFIs and CFIIs. My club has an initial buy in, the planes are about $70-80 wet, and the CFIs average around $30/hr. So max $120 for plane, fuel and instructor per hour. Assuming 60 hours for private that’s about $7000 maybe $8000 tops. Not including buy in and monthly fee. Easily half that of a flight school. But probably a bit slower. Of course finding a good club isn’t easy and you would need to research your options there. Anyways just a thought for you! Several of our club CFIs have gone on to the airlines in the last year or so.

Strategic level -
1) Your first goal is to learn to love Mac-n-Cheese and Raman noodles. This is a route that doesn't pay well at first, but will make up for it later.
2) After than, you'll want to get to 250 flight hours + private, Instruments, commercial and Flight Instructor ratings.
3a) Then teach as a Flight Instructor for 1-2 years to build time to 1500 hours so you're hirable as an Air Transport Pilot, which is what the airlines need you at to hire you.
3b) Alternately you can try to go to work for certain charter or cargo operations that fly airplanes, but those are harder jobs to get.
4) somewhere on the route to 1500 hours, you'll want to get a Multi-Engine rating and accumulate at least a few hours on that.

First tactical task is to look at the questions on the First Class medical. If you have any yes/explain answer, do a consult with a Aviation Medical Examiner prior to submitting for an exam. Then look for your private ground school and an instructor to fly with.

This has to be the best description of the process from zero to airline I've seen. Should be a sticky!

Back