Taking the impossible and making it possible

Is this really a thing now? Doesn't everybody still have to do that (pretty much) to get your PP certificate?
In any case... good for you!

Way outside my personal risk assessment matrix but hey it’s your life. Too many things can go wrong with paper. Just not worth the risk.

Did you have a backup plan in case this paper thing that you speak of got sucked out the window? Got ink from your fountain pen spilled on to it? Caught on fire?

Around here the VORs are either down for service or being decommisioned. I tried to navigate with one this past Friday and it was out of service. Had to use my eyes and look outside for some familiar landmarks, like rivers, mountains, and a few friendly clouds that were shaped like arrows guiding me home.

889247E7-F838-42EC-98A6-D54E3F40D8E7.jpeg
What is this VOR that you speak of? ;-P

Must be a new fangled thing- I looked at all my instruments and can’t find one of these amazing gadgets...

I like launching and flying water tower to water tower for fun of it sometimes... cuz hey isn’t that what an underpowered rag winged tail dragger was made for?

But I will say the iPad mini and magenta lines darned awful convenient too

As I look out the window of my airplane, I see these big long, irregularly shaped bodies of water below me and there seems to be similar looking blue shapes on the sectional labeled "Seneca," "Cayuga," "Canandaigua," etc... so far, as long as I keep them sort of oriented the same way, I seem to be able to find my way to and from home...

In all seriousness, I can still remember the fear I felt flying through the Adirondaks on one of my first solo cross countries (if not my first.. actually, I think it was) in the pre-EFB/GPS days, going by paper, pilotage, dead reckoning, and VOR. I was scared out of my mind for a little while...everything looked the same... then realized just how awesome VORs really are. I'll miss them.

I thought this involved a turn, at low altitude...

I flew a few colored NDB routes up in Alaska years ago, just so I could say I did it.

How many folks here (besides me) can say they busted the IFR checkride due to failing the NDB approach.??

I flew a few colored NDB routes up in Alaska years ago, just so I could say I did it.

How many folks here (besides me) can say they busted the IFR checkride due to failing the NDB approach.??

Can't say that, but I did get 'punished' for effin one up during training. CFI told me write 50 times "thou shalt not descend below the minimum descent altitude until thoust has the airport in sight." He was kidding of course but I did it and showed it to him the next day when I showed up for our next flight.

Can't say that, but I did get 'punished' for effin one up during training. CFI told me write 50 times "thou shalt not descend below the minimum descent altitude until thoust has the airport in sight." He was kidding of course but I did it and showed it to him the next day when I showed up for our next flight.

What about contact approaches? :D

I remember the good ol' days when all you has was a KLN89 GPS (orange line) or Garmin 430, no WAAS. LOL And paper to!

That’s some hazardous attitude FAA speaks of

This evening I flew 100+ miles without a magenta line or EFB. Just old school VOR nav with a paper sectional and I didn’t even get lost!

What do I win? :stirpot:

Did you know where you were when you got to wherever you went?

Great Rod Machado quote: "Student pilots don't get lost, they just change their minds about where they want to go!"

Did you know where you were when you got to wherever you went?
No I don’t think I landed at the right place. It didn’t have nearly as many scantily clad women as advertised.

Back