New spin video from Microsoft's new flight simulator!

Umm. Whether or not the flight model is correct I don’t know but is sure looked like a spin to me.

Hard to tell without knowing the airspeed. It looks like it's accelerating toward the ground to me.

Rich

I've seen that view. And the "bump" at the end of the recovery looked realistic to me.

Man things have certainly improved since I was very active in the FS world back with FS9. I remember I thought my rig was hot **** because it had a 64bit processor AND a 10,000RPM raptor drive. I had a ton of mods running but it still looked like crap to what stock is now it seems.

It looked pretty much like I remember it from my early flight training.

When I did spins in a 150, I noticed that it spun pretty smooth with the prop but would ‘bump’ up when spinning the other way. It might not have really happened but it seemed like it would bump up as the wings came level on each rotation.

I don’t remember what the limit was, but I also remember having to complete three spins and recover on the same heading that I was flying before starting the maneuver. It all had to happen within a specified amount of altitude loss. That was required prior to being signed off to solo.

In my case, the training was intended to keep me from spinning, not so much to be able to recover from the spin. I think it was good training, and that it’s kept me from two accidental spins when pilots I was flying with got distracted on their turn from base to final. In both cases I felt the plane starting to go and took action before it was too late. In both cases the pilot thanked me and said that they’d almost killed us.

Rich, I'm guessing you've never spun.

Only in a Cub. And the first time, when it looked like that and my airspeed was increasing, the CFI said it was a steep spiral, not a spin. The second and subsequent times, according to the CFI, were spins because they were characterized by the wings being in a stall the entire way down, and the airspeed not increasing.

The video looks more like the first one to me.

Rich

In all honesty, the only difference I noticed was that in what the CFI called a steep spiral, my indicated airspeed kept increasing. Other than that, the experience seemed pretty much the same to me.

Rich

Looks more like a steep spiral to me.

Nah, that’s about what they look like in a Skyhawk. Fun, but incredibly slow to wind up.

Would be interesting to see how good their model is by adding pro-spin aileron.

Man things have certainly improved since I was very active in the FS world....
B*tch, please.....:)
IFR_vicscreen.jpg

Ron Wanttaja

We just went over steep spirals for my CFI training and the rotation in that video looks a bit more extreme. I have spin training a week today so I'll contrast and compare then.

It may have ended as a steep spiral, but a steep spiral isn't going to snap you inverted like what happens in the beginning of the clip.

Very cool how the compass seems to exhibit the correct errors so smoothly, too.

...I may just have to dust off the old CH FlightSim Yoke and build a new rig for this!
The question about this flight sim is always going to be, is it going to require a $5,000 rig to run, or will it be something we can't get maximum utility out of for another ten years? It looks great, but I have what is probably now a $1,500 computer that runs P3D like a dream. If it's going to cost twice that for a computer that will run this, no thanks.

The question about this flight sim is always going to be, is it going to require a $5,000 rig to run, or will it be something we can't get maximum utility out of for another ten years? It looks great, but I have what is probably now a $1,500 computer that runs P3D like a dream. If it's going to cost twice that for a computer that will run this, no thanks.

The rumor is that it will not require a super expensive computer to run but will require a good internet connection and a credit card to pay the subscription fee.

I swear some of these simulations are faked. Back in 2007 I spent about $3,000 building my own computer with the sole purpose of running FSX maxed out. I had all top-of-the-line AMD, Nvidia, etc that you could basically get at the time.. (within reason, remember NewEgg?).. even then the frame rate would often glitch and stutter and every now and then the whole system would freeze or DirectX would crash or something

It would also be nice if this would work with an Oculus..

The rumor is that it will not require a super expensive computer to run but will require a good internet connection and a credit card to pay the subscription fee.
Ah, so it's going to be web-based? Wonder what the subscription fee is going to be.

are they taking a page out of EA's book and will charge for every landing at an airport?

I swear some of these simulations are faked. Back in 2007 I spent about $3,000 building my own computer with the sole purpose of running FSX maxed out. I had all top-of-the-line AMD, Nvidia, etc that you could basically get at the time.. (within reason, remember NewEgg?).. even then the frame rate would often glitch and stutter and every now and then the whole system would freeze or DirectX would crash or something

That's exactly what I mean! Are we going to have to spend an arm and a leg to get it to run? In my opinion, "FSX" aka P3D is basically now at a stage where you can run it well at a reasonable cost. And that program was released what, 14 years ago?

Only in a Cub. And the first time, when it looked like that and my airspeed was increasing, the CFI said it was a steep spiral, not a spin. The second and subsequent times, according to the CFI, were spins because they were characterized by the wings being in a stall the entire way down, and the airspeed not increasing.

The video looks more like the first one to me.

Rich
And how long ago was this?

Kinda interesting, a lot more realistic looking. Might be a good use case for one of the VR headsets.

I've played with the current X version and I wasn't really blown away. I think the lack of any sensation of motion, engine vibration, or wind noise makes it just not that realistic to me.

Semi-related, I got in on the pre-order for a flight yoke for running FSX or X11 on my home computer (nothing fancy, just a Dell XPS so no uber-high frame rates). Honeycomb Aeronautical has a new Alpha flight control yoke that should ship to me this month or early next month and was only $220. I figured it was worth trying versus buying a tired Saitek or Logitech yoke. I'm still going to have to figure out rudder pedals/throttle quadrant until Honeycomb finishes development on the Bravo throttle quadrant in Q1-2020.

hqdefault.jpg

Ahh I see where you failed. The whole “within reason” part.

Never seen a flight sim that didn’t need the absolute top of the line to be anywhere close to smooth. And buy next year’s top of the line, and the next; Keep going. LOL.

It’s easy to get up to the cost of an actual aircraft.

Semi-related, I got in on the pre-order for a flight yoke for running FSX or X11 on my home computer (nothing fancy, just a Dell XPS so no uber-high frame rates). Honeycomb Aeronautical has a new Alpha flight control yoke that should ship to me this month or early next month and was only $220. I figured it was worth trying versus buying a tired Saitek or Logitech yoke. I'm still going to have to figure out rudder pedals/throttle quadrant until Honeycomb finishes development on the Bravo throttle quadrant in Q1-2020.

hqdefault.jpg

Nice! Now if you swap out the yoke for a broomstick and place the throttle on the floor, you can use it for trike training.

Rich

Ahh I see where you failed. The whole “within reason” part.

Never seen a flight sim that didn’t need the absolute top of the line to be anywhere close to smooth. And buy next year’s top of the line, and the next; Keep going. LOL.

It’s easy to get up to the cost of an actual aircraft.
I get that is partially tongue in cheek.. but, I mean... to spend $3K on a computer you build yourself, especially back in 2007, is venturing on the absurd

I forget what AMD I had in it but for a GPU I had the nVidia GeForce 8800 GTS (which was brand spanking new at the time). The motherboard was SLI capable.. however a friend at the time indicated doubt that with something like MSFS I'd actually get better performance out of running parallel graphics cards. I suspect my issue was that I was running it on Windows Vista Home Premium which only allowed a max ram of 16GB.. I also had Crysis at the time https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crysis_(video_game) which was noted to be a good benchmarking video game.. and I had no issues running that.. the graphics in the game where downright nuts

In general Microsoft's development architecture always seemed sloppy to me.. as a tangential example Tableau will plow through MILLIONS of rows of data in seconds, joining multiple sources, with complex formulae, Excel on the other hand starts gagging on itself if you attempt to do any kind of vLookup that references more than 50 or so lookup values or a table array greater than 1,000 or so rows. Yes, I know they're different, but my point is Microsoft dev work just seems sloppy

Either way, FSX it ran okay.. but for what was basically top of the line equipment (back then) FSX framerate would slow and get glitchy when I had all the graphics maxed out, if you were landing into the sunset on a harborfront airport near a city (say San Diego!), that was asking it do *a lot*. xPlane (which I also had at the time, I believe V8?) was butter smooth with those setting maxed all the way

Granted... I never got the obsession with xPlane.. its graphics never felt as real, the sounds are crap, and for an outfit heralded for their flight dynamic realism the Microsoft flight dynamics always seemed closer to "the real thing"

hqdefault.jpg
Cool! I wish these things came with ForceFeedback. I had the Microsoft Sidewinder force feedback joystick for a while. Fundamentally I hated using it because A.) the planes I was flying at the time were yoke planes, not stick, and B, we all know that PIC flies with this left hand, and having a right handed joystick drove me NUTS!

But! What I did absolutely love about the forcefeedback was how real it was. I had some third party PA28 series aircraft downloaded and under 20 knots or so IAS the joystick gave no feedback at all... it would totally flop over, just like the real thing. As you picked up airspeed it would give feedback.. elevator input would get very 'muffled' during stalls, etc. I was amazed at how good the feedback was. The two yokes I had had springs that were too stiff and just took away from the realism of it

But again, I digress!

Back