Transponder (new Private Pilot)

Scott Scott King

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Scott
I currently own a 74 Piper Warrior and just installed a wingtip ADS-B. Now our original King KT78 is on the blink. What is our best most affordable option? Thanks for the info.

‘Wingtip ADS-B’ as in a Skybeacon?

Cheapest is probably a KT-76 which is a slide-in replacement for the KT-78. If you have a KT-78, you can upgrade to a KT-76 with no wiring changes.

I currently own a 74 Piper Warrior and just installed a wingtip ADS-B. Now our original King KT78 is on the blink. What is our best most affordable option? Thanks for the info.
Man, I am sorry to hear that. Your situation is exactly why I elected to spend a few hundred more bucks on a Stratus ESG over the uAvionix adsb-out solutions...wasn't willing to gamble on the long term health of my Narco AT150. I'm certainly no expert, but I'd guess your cheapest solution would be to try and find another working KT78 to slide in, and hope you get some more time out of it. Or... sell the SkyBeacon for 2/3 what you paid for it, buy a Stratus ESG from Jim at a great price, find a reasonable, helpful, informed A&P, spend a few hours installing it yourself w/ his/her help and signoff, and you're good to go without losing a ton of money. I looked at it like satisfying the adsb mandate, and getting a free new transponder in the process. Couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
I expect quite a number of beacon users will see their transponder suffer this fate. Unless you have a newer transponder like a 327, the beacon may very well prove to be false economy as time unfolds.

I kept my operational transponders from both my planes when I upgraded to ADS-B transponders. I have a KT78 and a Narco, number I can’t remember. I have spread the word around the airport that they will be gifts to those whose transponder fails. Maybe there is someone on your field with one on the shelf to give away to someone in need. Ask around.

Last edited:
I expect quite a number of beacon users will see their transponder suffer this fate. Unless you have a newer transponder like a 327, the beacon may very well prove to be false economy as time unfolds.

Absolutely.

Besides having to leave nav lights on all the time and keep replacing bulbs, unless everything is LED.

Ditto...as everyone has been replacing their KT 76 and KT 78 transponders to comply with ADSB 2020 rule, there are plenty of them on the used market going cheap.

Send it to transponderrepair.com

I'd go used or repair. That's my plan if my Narco AT150 goes on the blink. A quick search on KT-76 finds one for $650.

I think @Domenick might have went a bit too quick on that search..Just look at ebay, they tend to run between $100 and $250 since there is a glut out there (try to get one that gives a guarantee). I know, I had pulled my KT76 out last year. When I saw the asking prices for them I gave it to one of my neighbors as a back up which he wound up needing a few months back.

These old transponders will decay at an increasing rate. Some of the internal parts are perishable with time and others from use. eg. Electrolytic capacitors and the output tube.

Similar for radios, though many of the tube models have already gone Tango Uniform.

Yes, there will be an ever increasing supply of ancient radios & transponders for low prices, though this pool will evaporate with age. I imagine an increasing amount of pilots will opt for the new and highly reliable.

We will probably get a few posts about "Back in the day these old avionics were overbuilt and highly reliable". True, and so were American cars with 3x thicker steel. IMO, were much closer to the absolute end life of these old units than some desire.

Last edited:
I have a KT78 that was just pulled out last month. Everything worked without issue. Is due for 2 year. No idea what it's worth, let me know if interested.

I would get a used Garmin GTX327. I got mine off ebay with an 8130 for $350. Very easy to install and rock solid reliable.

If you've already got the Skybeacon, I agree with getting a Garmin GTX327. I had to do that to replace a Narco AT50 that wouldn't pass validation testing. In the long run I could have spent not much more and got one of the transponder ADSB solutions from Garmin or Stratus, but the GTX327 are relatively cheap to find used and modern solid state/digital.

While there are definitely better/newer transponders out there that would be "nice" to have, they will be more expensive and have a large install cost also. You can buy 3 KT76 or 78 and keep two on a shelf as back up for less money.

While there are definitely better/newer transponders out there that would be "nice" to have, they will be more expensive and have a large install cost also. You can buy 3 KT76 or 78 and keep two on a shelf as back up for less money.

It more than newer better transponder. It’s a new generation of capability. The GTX-345 is 240 watt transmitter with ADS-B dual band In/single band out, with built in AHRS and Bluetooth to drive an iPad. The GNX-375 is the same except also includes an IFR capable WAAS GPS and full color touch screen.

Lots to consider. At some point we’re throwing good money to the past.

He did mention affordable, the Garmins will be 5 to 10K depending on where installed. Not sure $200 (about a tank of gas) qualifies for throwing "good" money away for a working transponder that slides right in and doesn't need to be on an installation waiting list during this busy period prior to 2020 compliance. He's also already got ADSB out. It's just taking advantage of a current glut in the market. If that gets him a couple of years maybe there will be a new gee whiz device at that point that's better and cheaper. Several months back no one saw the 345 and 375 coming. But it's still good to give the OP various ideas and options. Not sure what else is in his panel.

Take it all out and go without. Stay away from "rules" airspace.

Works for me...

Take it all out and go without. Stay away from "rules" airspace.

Works for me...
Some of us have destinations or are based in ADSB required areas. Or like to fly on days with clouds. Or...

Back