Today’s upgrade plan

dmcummins

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Dmcummins
There Is just to much new stuff to decide on, and of coarse I have to keep cost down as much as I can.

I currently have a 70’s panel, narco and king. I’m currently a VFR pilot, but I’m going to attempt to get my instrument rating, I mean it this time. I started a few years ago after my ppl, then I got shingles, so that set things back, then I moved, then I started again and the wife got cancer. Thankfully she has recovered so I can start again, I’m probably doomed now.

Anyhow, today I’m thinking ps200b with a garmin 375 and g5. I’ll keep my narco 12d for a second nav and comm.

But yesterday I was convinced I wanted the ps450b, garmin 355, g5, and the tailbeacon. And keep the narco.

Then I think I should wait till I can get a sl30 or garmin 255 and ditch the narco. Why spend money on the old radio.

Then of coarse I think instead of spending 15-20k I think I’ll just keep the old stuff and fly on nice days, I’m retired and 20k can pay for a lot of motel rooms if I get stuck somewhere.

But I’m definatly wanting a new audio panel and adsb, so 375 or tailbeacon?

GTN750/GTX345/PS450b/GNC255/G3x(EIS)

Hm, I should have probably asked about the budget first.

PS-450B is probably the best audio panel available. It's uber flexible and crystal clear. Shockingly clear. Once you have Stereo bluetooth audio panel, you grit your teeth listening to much else. For me the big plus to the 450B are the context related buttons to select options. Other panels without the OLED display need multiple unlabeled button presses to access the deeper features of the audio panel. I find I access all functionality and rarely need to crack open the manual.

The other part to consider investing in panel mounted ASD-B in/out. Having both provides tremendous advantages. The GTX-345 or 375 with GPS have built in AHRS so ForeFlight will display the synthetic vision features. Lots to unpack there in terms of capability.

-David

Last edited:
What is your goal?

Looks? hard single pilot IFR? live under busy airspace and need ADSB? Need a better comm? Need Bluetooth?

I put GTN650 and 2 G5’s in my Varga. Cost as much as the plane was worth but now IFR capable. The gyros and radios were shot so it was time to go all in. I personally think the Ifly740 on my knee is better in all regards but not certified and my goal is single pilot IFR for really just the CA marine layer. Live in Tucson but fly to CA often

I put GTN650 and 2 G5’s in my Varga. Cost as much as the plane was worth but now IFR capable. The gyros and radios were shot so it was time to go all in. I personally think the Ifly740 on my knee is better in all regards but not certified and my goal is single pilot IFR for really just the CA marine layer. Live in Tucson but fly to CA often

You think your tablet is better than a GTN, yikes

uAvionix for ADS-B. Get the IFR rating with the VORs as /A. If you like IFR flying, start shopping for new toys. You may not like it and a $600 iPad is all you'll ever want or need.

It’s not cheap; but a good GPS, comm, audio panel, and panel mounted ADS-B in/out makes flying a lot more are and fun for most. Have a chat with a few aircraft brokers to get their thoughts regarding resale value of planes with/without some modern avionics. You may find a good upside if you go forward modernizing and lose value if you don’t. The ROI is the differential between the loss in value and the gain.

Market expectations have changed quite a bit in the past 5 years. A few strategic upgrades are very helpful. Yes the Tailbeacon UAT out meets the minimal ADS-B requirement for lowest cost, but there are tangible downsides.

Some investments like at GTX-345 or GNX-375 are gold standards that years from now will still pay dividends. Depends on your budget.

I would def get the GNX 375, a GNC 255 and I'd even go for a GTR 225. With that much garmin, might as well stick to another garmin audio box. Then your 6 pack is pretty good, you have a small but powerful moving map and you'll never be in doubt will a radio fail. Honestly, unless you learned on a glass cockpit, you don't need it.

uAvionix for ADS-B. Get the IFR rating with the VORs as /A. If you like IFR flying, start shopping for new toys. You may not like it and a $600 iPad is all you'll ever want or need.

This is probably the smart thing to do.

I’m not going to do anything till the end of the year or first of next year. I can get around the adsb airspace for now if need be. I’m not hangared under it.

My old narco is in the shop so I’ll see if the tech can fix it. It’s got a little noise in it and he is replacing something on one of the boards. If it works I’ll keep it as a #2 com for a while. That way I’ll have a ILS and VOR.

I’m thinking of going with a g5 due to the need of a new indicator, and my DG is a probably due for a overhaul. When I try and do a hold I’m always having to adjust it. It drifts quite a bit.

I do like the idea of the 375, but then I’ll need another com, the cheapest way would be with the ps200a. I really plan on getting rid of my audio panel even if I stay VFR.

My IA/AP will help me with most of this, but I’d have to have a shop install the 375. If I go with the tailbeacon I won’t have that cost.

The best part of panel upgrades: About 5 hours later you start the coulda woulda shoulda.
5 hours? I thought it was always that a well-regarded avionics manufacturer announces new products the day after.

Wow! For the sake of you and your family, please don’t fly approaches in IMC with an iPad unless it is absolutely last resort.

A 650 + G5s and TailBeacon is a better deal than a 375 + G5s. You replace an old NAV/COM fully and get LPV approaches. It's just a better deal for an airplane that doesn't have any GPS at all and has ancient radios. Save the second radio for ATIS and ground.

Why not a GNX-375 waas GPS / ADS-B transponder plus a GNC-255A?

Nice to have a modern Nav/comm, WAAS GPS, and full spec transponder in 2 units.

You'll need an audio panel too if you touch the radios. About the most expensive center stack component to install is an audio panel. It attaches to about everything. If you skip it now, you pay the labor to wire up an old audio panel. Kind of wasted labor.

Last edited:
Why not a GNX-375 ADS-B transponder with GPS + GNC-255A?

Nice to have a modern Nav/comm, WAAS GPS, and full spec transponder in 2 units.

I suppose one could go that route too, but then you're still looking at at least one terrible radio. Further, you don't have the non-GPS approach fully integrated into the unit, as with a GTN. I'm just saying this as if price is an issue. Personally, I'd go 650/255/375. In fact, I just did that on my Bonanza.

Personally, I'd go 650/255/375. In fact, I just did that on my Bonanza.

That would be the hot set-up, plus a new audio panel. As mentioned in my previous post, the audio panel will get rewired and might as well upgrade it too. The awesome PS-450B is like $2200.

That would be the hot set-up, plus a new audio panel. As mentioned in my previous post, the audio panel will get rewired and might as well upgrade it too. The awesome PS-450B is like $2200.

The Garmin units are pretty competitively priced as well, and integrate well. I do really think the integration of the 650 is the way to go for your primary.

My Tiger is getting dual 650s, but only because it already has a 650 and 430W and I'm getting good money for the 430W. As such, it will just get a 345.

I’d love to have a 650/255/375 with a new audio panel as well. But that’s over 20k and you still need a couple of indicators and installation. That’s just way out of my budget.

I’ll look into a 650, if I go with the tailbeacon and a used indicator, I may be able to swing that. I can’t do much till after the first of the year.

Check with your shop. Mine got me a 650 for $9100, which is $2000 under MSRP

Are you planning a switch to center-stack avionics as part of the upgrade? Have you quoted that portion yet? I'm curious what that runs nowadays on a Deb

Are you planning a switch to center-stack avionics as part of the upgrade? Have you quoted that portion yet? I'm curious what that runs nowadays on a Deb

Probably exceed the hull value of the blasted thing lol :D

I plan on leaving them on the left. I have a battery box that would be in the way on the right. I’m sure the cost would be more than I want to spend.

Back