File (almost) direct across Canada

DesertNomad

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
DesertNomad
I am flying IFR from New York to Michigan and considering filing from my departure to SYR ROC YXU destination. Will this work well or should I file airways to BUF WOZEE T608...

The former keeps me just north of the falls for a nice view.

What route am I likely to get?

I took the same route IFR last year (something like iag direct to fnt). I had no problems.

I remember that the controllers from Toronto were extra friendly that day as well

Last edited:
I took the same route IFR last year (something like iag direct to fnt). I had no problems.

I remember that the controllers from Toronto were extra friendly that day as well

Did you get a route north of the falls for a good view?

Ha. Well, I would have, except it was 1000 overcast. Lol

It looks like the Victor airway that ran from BUF through the Aylmer VOR no longer exists in Canada. I think it was V2 (?) Does anyone know what happened to it? I think it also ran between the Blue Water straits and FNT and relied on cross radials from ECK (Peck VOR, since decommissioned) to define a number of fixes, so maybe that's it, but that's just a guess.

I file direct across that area. Have gotten it. But also not near the YYZ bravo.

Why not file direct?

I file direct across that area. Have gotten it. But also not near the YYZ bravo.

YYZ Charlie.

what is NavCanadjia charging for such a flight these days? (,eh?)

They would charge the quarterly fee, which is currently $16.85 for propeller driven aircraft under 2 metric tons (aboot 4400 pounds)

YYZ Charlie.

They would charge the quarterly fee, which is currently $16.85 for propeller driven aircraft under 2 metric tons (aboot 4400 pounds)

US sectionals shows blue lines like ORD CLE CLT etc...
Hey look, more FAA inconsistencies!

US sectionals shows blue lines like ORD CLE CLT etc...
Hey look, more FAA inconsistencies!

Class C in Canada is like Class B in the US. You need clearance, Mode C and 2 way radio, and are positive control when VFR. Class B in Canada is Controlled VFR, which is VFR between 12500 and 17999'

Class C in Canada is like Class B in the US. You need clearance, Mode C and 2 way radio, and are positive control when VFR. Class B in Canada is Controlled VFR, which is VFR between 12500 and 17999'

I wasn't around for the TCA/CCA/TRSA/ARSA/ASPCA changeover to A=>G, but I thought that was to bring us in line with the rest of ICAO so there was the same standard everywhere?

I wasn't around for the TCA/CCA/TRSA/ARSA/ASPCA changeover to A=>G, but I thought that was to bring us in line with the rest of ICAO so there was the same standard everywhere?

No country goes with one specific standard. Some countries don't use Class G, some don't use D. The UK has Class A to the surface in some areas, because they have light GA. Letter classification is just a license to use a letter to describe a set of locally defined rules.

Back