Who likes to bump it?

There's a local station that plays a clip with a police siren in it as a lead-in for their news segments. I HATE that when I'm driving....such stupid...

Everyone has their vices... Some like Scotch..... Other like Cigars..... Some obsessively build AR15s..... And some fly air planes.......

Some also like to do it all...........
Yeah. Those are all on my list of hobbies. The cigar collection is a bit out of hand. I need to hide all my internet capable devices when I’m in the scotch. That seems to be s reliable opportunity for the cigar orders...

The cigar of the moment when this was posted: Arturo Fuente Don Carlos. On of my favorites. Unfortunately I’m well into the final 3rd.

So far while reading this it’s been...

(Actually I was enjoying listening so I just kept adding to this... come on over if you like it, we’ll party. Haha...)

Blues Traveler

Clapton

Sister Hazel (as a singer I have a man-crush on Drew Copeland, he’s just freaking awesome and consistent as a backup singer or lead man, and his range almost matches mine, I sing along)

Stray Cats

Steely Dan (Kid Charlemagne - Larry Carleton’s guitar solo... OMG, perfection... over the top of Bernard Purdie doing the Purdie shuffle! So tasty!), Zac Brown (underrated musician and what a band behind him... )

Harry Chapin

Marc Cohn

Dada (too bad they had such crap luck with their record label)

Bob Seger

Wild Adriatic (if you haven’t heard them, you must! Song “Trouble” recommended)

Red Wanting Blue (another must listen - “My Name is Death” recommended)

Supertramp

Fred (barbershop quartet, it’s on shuffle!)
Melodime (another many haven’t heard, worth it, met them multiple times, awesome people)

Blackberry Smoke

SR-71

Bill Mize (another holy crap guitarist)

Keb’ Mo

Fourplay (it finally shuffled some jazz in, well pop jazz anyway...)
Amy Gerhartz (awesome)

Patti Larkin (Oh, Alexa is in a solo girl rocker mood, eh ... live album recommended...)

Tom Petty (RIP)

Edward Gerhardt (more solo guitar...cool.. shuffle is fun)

Sara Haze (only have a couple of songs, but excellent singer)

Andy Frasco and the U.N. (Have met him multiple times and he’s just fracking awesome. And crazy. Love that guy.)

Air Traffic Controller (have to love the name, lead is an ex-Navy controller, met them too and hard working folks!)

Face Vocal Band (it’s a double singer household - they’re really good - their medley of Rejoice, Rejoice Emmanuel that rolls into On The Turning Away by Pink Floyd is impressively good)

Frank Sinatra

Dire Straits

Gin Blossoms

Pearl Jam

Steve Miller Band

Take Six (that singer thing again...)

Better than Ezra

The Bangles (Karen put that in there... hahaha)

Men At Work

Cream (okay, more Clapton really...)

The Bobs (singing... and funny!)

Green Day (they’ve become asses, but still some good songs)

Pink Floyd

Train

Crosby, Stills, and Nash

The Police

Phil Collins (guilty pleasure, and that singing thing)

Foo Fighters ( what pilot doesn’t have Learn To Fly in their shuffle?)

Led Zeppelin (because, of course...)

Gavin DeGraw

Third Eye Blind

Okay that’s enough... so yeah, not much bumping. Ha.

bass.png

sample.png

conditioning.png

Yeah. Those are all on my list of hobbies. The cigar collection is a bit out of hand. I need to hide all my internet capable devices when I’m in the scotch. That seems to be s reliable opportunity for the cigar orders...

The cigar of the moment when this was posted: Arturo Fuente Don Carlos. On of my favorites. Unfortunately I’m well into the final 3rd.

AF Don Carlos, Padron 2000, and CAO MX2 are my top 3. I used to buy variety and tried a lot. I’ll still buy a different single or two cigars here and there, but the above 3 are always my fav.

This is a good time to buy stock in hearing aid companies.

I don’t like to blast my music, but I appreciate audio in the car enough to spend a little money and upgrade the factory speakers, paired with a decent amp.

You are right about one thing. It is unexplainable.

For some reason, I thought you were out of your teens.

I have been into car audio since my first car was bought; that was 12 vehicles ago. Given the huge industry of aftermarket sound, I'm not alone. When I buy a new car, I already know what I am going to put in it.

Now, should I be getting off your lawn at this point or....?

I don’t like to blast my music, but I appreciate audio in the car enough to spend a little money and upgrade the factory speakers, paired with a decent amp.

What, are you still 17? Grow up, em kay.... :skeptical:

"I recently purchased a TEAC 4100X with 3 heads, 3 motors, and a Sansui 3660, 45 watts per channel, Dolby X, DBX, hi-tech specs, 30 to 20000 hz so I can listen to adult contemporary music ...
cranked up to 3. " - The Pheromones, "Yuppie Drone"

My musical tastes run more to the 'lo-fi' end of things :D

Nauga,
and a little East Bay thrash

"I recently purchased a TEAC 4100X with 3 heads, 3 motors, and a Sansui 3660, 45 watts per channel, Dolby X, DBX, hi-tech specs, 30 to 20000 hz so I can listen to adult contemporary music ...
cranked up to 3. " - The Pheromones, "Yuppie Drone"

My musical tastes run more to the 'lo-fi' end of things :D

Nauga,
and a little East Bay thrash

You don't need power to sound good. You need copious amounts to make it LOUD!

Buddy has a set up in his house using tubes and some mylar looking speakers of sorts. It's awesome. Upwards of $10k. He claims it is best listen with classical music. He refused to let me listen to anything else on it....

I have been into car audio since my first car was bought; that was 12 vehicles ago. Given the huge industry of aftermarket sound, I'm not alone. When I buy a new car, I already know what I am going to put in it.

Now, should I be getting off your lawn at this point or....?
Nah. You can camp out on my lawn if you want to. Just be sure to play some Vietnam era music and as long as my windows don't rattle, I'm good.

I always feel bad for the guys that have to make themselves into public spectacles. I got enough love and attention from my father so I can listen to my music without having to force everyone else to hear it, too. ;)

You can lump harley drivers into this category too. And the guys that drive giant diesel bro-dozers with whistle tip exhausts.

I always feel bad for the guys that have to make themselves into public spectacles. I got enough love and attention from my father so I can listen to my music without having to force everyone else to hear it, too. ;)

You can lump harley drivers into this category too. And the guys that drive giant diesel bro-dozers with whistle tip exhausts.

This coming from pilots, is rich. LOL.

Well, sounds like you just rounded me out into a trifecta..... Yes on all three. I also like to make noise with guns I have built, also ride KTMs off road, dump 1 kilowatt of RF into the sky when the skip is good and stink up the neighborhood with BBQ smoke. Thats BBQ, not a grill I might add.

I do a pretty fair amount of road cycling. We live in a very rural area with lots of great roads for riding. The absolute *WORST* vehicles that pass me are big motorcycles with the “can you hear me now, Dad?” straight pipes. The physically hurt my ears when they blast by, and always have to crank the throttle to show me that their hulking mass of blubber is being propelled down the road by a big V-twin.

Ford and Lexus put really good stereos in my vehicles so I have no need for aftermarket gear. The aforementioned deck lid rattling thump is just annoying to me. Nate and I would be compatible as far as musical tastes go - for the most part....Frank Sinatra? Really?

Well, sounds like you just rounded me out into a trifecta..... Yes on all three. I also like to make noise with guns I have built, also ride KTMs off road, dump 1 kilowatt of RF into the sky when the skip is good and stink up the neighborhood with BBQ smoke. Thats BBQ, not a grill I might add.

Generally guns are one volume, unless you decide to put a silencer on them. Can't think of too many mods to make them louder. RF generally isn't able to be heard without actively trying, ie you have a receiver. BBQ smoke? Everyone loves BBQ smoke. But when people take a blowtorch to their harley exhausts, and put whistle tips on their bro dozers, that is just someone that is begging for attention. Lack of attention from their parents when they were kids? Maybe. Who knows why people become narcissists. I just don't understand why people want to degrade other peoples quality of life just for their own attention. But I guess that is the definition of a narcissist.

Ford and Lexus put really good stereos in my vehicles so I have no need for aftermarket gear. The aforementioned deck lid rattling thump is just annoying to me. Nate and I would be compatible as far as musical tastes go - for the most part....Frank Sinatra? Really?
Frank Sinatra..the Chairman of the Board...yes, really. Anyone who Miles Davis said he learned phrasing from is worthy of my time and respect. Nate's list was actually not bad... :) I was relieved.

Generally guns are one volume, unless you decide to put a silencer on them. Can't think of too many mods to make them louder. RF generally isn't able to be heard without actively trying, ie you have a receiver. BBQ smoke? Everyone loves BBQ smoke. But when people take a blowtorch to their harley exhausts, and put whistle tips on their bro dozers, that is just someone that is begging for attention. Lack of attention from their parents when they were kids? Maybe. Who knows why people become narcissists. I just don't understand why people want to degrade other peoples quality of life just for their own attention. But I guess that is the definition of a narcissist.

Never heard of or seen a silencer. Did you mean a suppressor?

I do.

MB Quart 6.5s in the doors pushed by a JL 300/4V3 and a JL 1000/1 Slash pushing 10W6s in a JL box. Just smoked a sub and not sure why. Not the first time, not the last. $600 pentalty box infraction.

I have a set of Eclipse Alum DVC 12s in the box to play with, but gaawdddam these W6s pound. Who else is represent-in'?

Not sure that I can take you seriously about “being an SQ guy” when managing to blow out subs or needing a dual sub-system in a space the size of any vehicle. I love quality audio, and have upgraded a few cars in the past . . . My first car (‘88 300ZX) had a single 12” Polk running 500w rms to it. It was beyond overkill and it snapped the rear view mirror off as well.

The second 300ZX we did more tastefully (stock Bose garbage) with Infinity components all around and a single 10” on a 5ch amp.

There are improvements to be made for what I’ll refer to as “roundness of sound”, but they don’t require multiple large subwoofers in anything smaller than a school bus. Quality component speakers and a single 10” sub with moderate amp power (75Wx4)(300wx1) can fill a car with balanced audio for minimal investment.

Honestly, my ‘08 F-150 with the Audiophile sound package has about the best factory sub I’ve ever had in a vehicle. The door speakers are nothing to write home about, but it’s better than 95% of the other factory systems out there. Only the expensive brands with B&O, Focal, etc do a better job from the factory, but those don’t usually show up in anything below Jaguar price levels, lol.

I had a Phoenix Gold 2125 pushing two Kicker 15"s in a huge box in the back of my '93 Exploder, nice crossover and EQ setup (don't remember what it was) and an Alpine amp driving four 6X9 three ways in the doors. Open the rear window and every party was my truck running the sound. We could launch a crushed beer can over 10 feet off of the roof when it was really cranking (the roof would vibrate visibly +/- 1.5" easily) Pulled it all out when I sold it and never put it into anything else. Just stock bose sound in the truck these days, plenty good. But we would throb around the neighborhood at least once at the end of the night.... good times.

Reminds me that it is probably better that we live on opposite sides of the country.

This coming from pilots, is rich. LOL.

Why? I fly in a very remote area, very few people know we own an airplane, and I don’t buzz anyone or fly low or do anything to make myself stand out from other aircraft or pilots. I could see your point if I flew around like an idiot, treetop level over houses, full throttle with no mufflers and causing a disturbance. Intentionally drawing attention to yourself by driving along “bumping” your preferred version of noise pollution outside your hoopty is far from a guy putting around the sky following regs. If I put a “look at me, Nate” smoke system in my airplane, you would have a point. Otherwise, go relax with Kenny G and Yanni. :)

Why? I fly in a very remote area, very few people know we own an airplane, and I don’t buzz anyone or fly low or do anything to make myself stand out from other aircraft or pilots. I could see your point if I flew around like an idiot, treetop level over houses, full throttle with no mufflers and causing a disturbance. Intentionally drawing attention to yourself by driving along “bumping” your preferred version of noise pollution outside your hoopty is far from a guy putting around the sky following regs. If I put a “look at me, Nate” smoke system in my airplane, you would have a point. Otherwise, go relax with Kenny G and Yanni. :)

I’m definitely not the one who needs to relax here. LOL.

If “bump it” means that annoying bass vibration that can be heard for a mile, it should be outlawed.

Just the other day I was behind someone with that crap and they were texting at a red light. It turned green and everyone was laying on their horn. The idiot never heard a thing and sat through the entire green. Moron.

I do.

MB Quart 6.5s in the doors pushed by a JL 300/4V3 and a JL 1000/1 Slash pushing 10W6s in a JL box. Just smoked a sub and not sure why. Not the first time, not the last. $600 pentalty box infraction.

I have a set of Eclipse Alum DVC 12s in the box to play with, but gaawdddam these W6s pound. Who else is represent-in'?

I have always had nice system's in my vehicles...
My old Suburban had 4 Focal Flax 6.5 components with a JL HD 600/4
and 2 P3 15's with a JL HD 1200/1
It had a JL w7 13.5 but it finally gave out...

My VW Golf Sportwagon TDI had the factory Fender system that actually sounded pretty great for factory.
I added a JL 12" W7 and a JL RD 1000/1 amp. I like it.

My son just started driving and we slammed his 2013 crew cab Silverado and put 24's on it.
He has been saving and just bought all his system, we need to install it.
He got 4 8" Sundown subs with a Hyfonics Brutus amp that makes 1800 watts at 2 ohm to push them
Got 4 6.5 Focal Auditor components and a Hyfonics 4 channel amp.
I am about half deaf and I keep putting systems in my vehicles :)
My wife ask if I will still be beating down the block when I am 70. LOL!
My comment was "I probably won't be alive at 70"

I did upgraded stereo in my 1st three cars, but haven't since then.

Car #1: Sony AM/FM/cassette (pre-CD days) pre amp head unit, Sony 12 band line level EQ, Boston Acoustics separates in all four corners driven by an ADS 4x40 power plate, and a 2x50 Apline amp driving passive bazooka tubes.

Car #2: Tossed the Sony head unit for an Alpine 7390 HLTAC cassette unit that also controlled the Alpine CD changer in the trunk. Tossed the Sony EQ for a real cross over network, can't remember the brand. Kept the BA separates, ADS power plate, but tossed the Alpine amp and bazooka tubes. In it's place I did a JBL 1500GTi 15" sub in a properly made ported box in the trunk. It was fed by a Rockford Fostgate 2x100 bridged mono. This system sounded damned nice!

Car #3: Same as car #2 except the BA separates were tossed for MBQuart drop ins designed to fit in the OEM locations. Car looked totally stock but for the Alpine head unit. This one also sounded damned good.

Caveat: My systems were never designed to "bump." At the time I had a good friend in the sound reinforcement business, stadiums, hockey arenas, other large theaters. He had some good pink noise generation and measurement equipment, and we put the mike at the drivers right ear and tuned each of these systems flat. They sounded fabulous on all types of music, classical to rap. Loud, clean, balanced was the goal.

Now I'm an olde phart, and most higher option factory car audio systems suit me well.

Last edited:
Well, you got me beat... my **** looks like swap meet gear compared to yours. That W7 absolutely pounds. The JLs can take it all.

I have always had nice system's in my vehicles...
My old Suburban had 4 Focal Flax 6.5 components with a JL HD 600/4
and 2 P3 15's with a JL HD 1200/1
It had a JL w7 13.5 but it finally gave out...

My VW Golf Sportwagon TDI had the factory Fender system that actually sounded pretty great for factory.
I added a JL 12" W7 and a JL RD 1000/1 amp. I like it.

My son just started driving and we slammed his 2013 crew cab Silverado and put 24's on it.
He has been saving and just bought all his system, we need to install it.
He got 4 8" Sundown subs with a Hyfonics Brutus amp that makes 1800 watts at 2 ohm to push them
Got 4 6.5 Focal Auditor components and a Hyfonics 4 channel amp.
I am about half deaf and I keep putting systems in my vehicles :)
My wife ask if I will still be beating down the block when I am 70. LOL!
My comment was "I probably won't be alive at 70"

Back