Seat Belts & Harnesses

We had a Neurologist in my local community who always wore a motorcycle helmet driving his car. Didn’t much care what anyone thought of it.
I couldn't stand to do that personally, and still don't wear a helmet when I bicycle (stupid, I know...probably a combination of the "we never had'em as kids, jumped over cars and rivers, and survived just fine" and "not a fan of being told what to do by the nanny state" hazardous attitudes), but I admire the guy's attitude. Do what you think is best and right, and don't worry about what how others perceive you. Good for him.

About 2 years ago I was pedaling up a rather steep hill and missed a shift into “granny gear”. I couldn’t unclip in time and toppled to the right in slow motion, helmeted head first into a guardrail. I saw stars and was a bit befuddled for about 20 minutes. Without the helmet I’m pretty sure the mild concussion would have been a lot worse, not to mention the possible bruises and/or lacerations.

In any case, after about 60 years of mostly helmeted riding it was the first time I benefited from it. Still, I think it made all the prior helmet wearing worth it.

The reels really win on a cost benefit for the tech

Not a reel fan. I like being able to cinch tight in rough air. Reels allow me to rise in the seat and flop side to side unchecked. Hooker makes electric locking reels but that still doesn't allow me to tighten them up as much as manual harnesses. To each their own, but that's my take on it.

Not a reel fan. I like being able to cinch tight in rough air. Reels allow me to rise in the seat and flop side to side unchecked. Hooker makes electric locking reels but that still doesn't allow me to tighten them up as much as manual harnesses. To each their own, but that's my take on it.

For sure, think the type depends too, for aerobatic I get the manual, but for floats and backcountry with manual flaps and cowl flaps and all, you ether have a static harness too loose on takeoff and landing to reach, or it’s tight for a crash but you can’t reach.

When I was in the club I strongly advocated going to 4 point inertia reel in both planes. It didn't happen. Why spend money on safety when we could stupid door guards instead.

But now, I always fly with hookers and 5 points.

hookers.JPG

Having a canopy cuts down on your options for shoulder harnesses. That RV6 seat is a case in point (same problem we have with the Navion). It's not a good design to have the shoulder harnesses back attach point below the wearer's shoulders. Better than nothing, but not optimal. The other problem is the stock belts are attached to the seat and the seat mounts have been shown to give way in accidents.

When I was in the club I strongly advocated going to 4 point inertia reel in both planes. It didn't happen. Why spend money on safety when we could stupid door guards instead.

But now, I always fly with hookers and 5 points.

View attachment 77809

Is that a office chair?

Is there any work to suggest that rear seat pax in an accident are beneficiaries of shoulder harnesses? I have 3 point inertia reels on the front seats (basically auto seatbelts) but only lap belts for the rear pax. I’ve been considering converting these to 3 point or some form of shoulder harness but the back seat flips down and I’m not actually sure where to attach to.

Either seat you're going to flail forward with just a lap belt. Your rear seat passengers are going to get walloped on the backs of the front seats.

Is there any work to suggest that rear seat pax in an accident are beneficiaries of shoulder harnesses? I have 3 point inertia reels on the front seats (basically auto seatbelts) but only lap belts for the rear pax. I’ve been considering converting these to 3 point or some form of shoulder harness but the back seat flips down and I’m not actually sure where to attach to.
Look in the parts catalog for your airplane. If there are OEM attach points, there'll be belts shown for them and the approximate location of the attachments.

Back