AOPA closing forums

cruiserandmax

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
cruiserandmax
I've been on the AOPA forums for 20+ years and they have just announced they will be closing them for good in October. It's sad to see them go, but I look forward to being here now, starting from zero... Hello!

I’d wager as time goes on more open forums will close and it’ll lean much more towards highly moderated corporate sponsored ones. VERY large push these days away from open platforms

I've been on the AOPA forums for 20+ years and they have just announced they will be closing them for good in October. It's sad to see them go, but I look forward to being here now, starting from zero... Hello!
Is that some sort of record? Or is that a glitch? You joined in 2012 and you're just making your first post? Anyway, welcome to POA!

Not much bang for the buck with AOPA

Their forums were the main motivation for me to keep renewing. I do appreciate the political action in support of GA side of them, but now without the forums I will happily write to my congress reps myself, cancel my membership, and apply that extra $80/year to avgas!

Met my better half on the AOPA forums back in 1999. Was chatting with someone the other day about how Pete and I met. I think I kinda let her speechless when she says "What was it about him that that you liked?" My answer: "He owned two airplanes." hahaha

I sent an email to AOPA three days ago and told them to not renew my membership. Maybe I shoulda hung on another 2 years and gotten my 30 year pin. :)

Irony, because (as discussed elsewhere) PoA’s genesis was the impending shutdown of AOPA’s forum MK. 1 (aka, the “Yellow Board”).

Rest assured, PoA is here for the long haul.

Fun fact: the Pilots of America forum is owned and operated by Pilots of America Forum, inc., a not-for-profit corporation. No one will ever ad-saturate and monetize PoA!

Met my better half on the AOPA forums back in 1999. Was chatting with someone the other day about how Pete and I met. I think I kinda let her speechless when she says "What was it about him that that you liked?" My answer: "He owned two airplanes." hahaha

I sent an email to AOPA three days ago and told them to not renew my membership. Maybe I shoulda hung on another 2 years and gotten my 30 year pin. :)

Did you make him send photos of the planes first.

The AOPA forum was mostly crashes and arcana. The occasional news story. Still kinda dumb of AOPA to kill it off. Then again, just about every Nonprofit I've ever taken a close look at has had dysfunctional leadership, so I'm hardly surprised.

You can see that the AOPA forums mirrors the problems with AOPA in general. Contrast this with the EAA.

The EAA forums were initiated by one of their own staff after the horrendous Oshkosh365 abortion (almost as bad as hangar.aopa.org). In addition to being a nicely run forum, it has picked up actual EAA staff members who readily participate in an official capacity. In 27+ years of AOPA membership, I can tell you with one little exception, I've never got any sort of personal communication from AOPA when expressing concerns. At EAA I knew many of the board members. When I wrote the president, I got a response (perhaps done by an assistant, but a personal response rather than the form letter the AOPA presidents flunkies send out). The same letter to the division presidents actually netted me phone calls from all of them.

I don't think AOPA has much in touch with their membership. Don't see it.

Not surprised to see AOPA closing the forums. I started out here when this board was initiated in response to their closing them once before. I quit AOPA a few years ago after having been a member since 1979. Their focus just wasn't on the kind of flying I do. Then when they did all this hype about getting us drivers license medicals and then they did an about face and got onboard with Basic Med which required you to have a medical in the last 10 yrs, that was the icing on the cake. That by design left out those of us who starting flying under SP rules when they first came out. Did I mention they're expensive? I'll stick with EAA, who I consider to have real value.

Is that the Red Board that got closed? If so, good riddance.

Irony, because (as discussed elsewhere) PoA’s genesis was the impending shutdown of AOPA’s forum MK. 1 (aka, the “Yellow Board”).

Rest assured, PoA is here for the long haul.

Fun fact: the Pilots of America forum is owned and operated by Pilots of America Forum, inc., a not-for-profit corporation. No one will ever ad-saturate and monetize PoA!
Speaking of money, I've been having trouble finding the link to donate to PoA.

Speaking of money, I've been having trouble finding the link to donate to PoA.

They only open up donations at specific times. I don’t think there’s a mechanism to donate outside of then.

Welcome to PoA!

I lived in San Francisco for 47 years, but moved up to Sonoma County in February to get away from the noise and traffic. I still get down to the city frequently to visit friends.

I'm sorry to see the AOPA forums go, but I spend a lot more time on PoA than I did on the AOPA forums anyway.

Back