Does anyone know anything about this plane?

Kody

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Kody
A while back, in 2015 if I recall correctly, I was reading some articles and ads about a new twin engine amphibious utility plane, but I've since forgotten the name and manufacturer and have been unable to find anything online about it at all. No pictures, no articles, no videos.
So now I'm at a complete loss, unless anyone here knows anything about it. I'll try to describe it to the best of my ability, so please bear with me.
It was a light utility aircraft originally designed in Russia, and a US manufacturer had (then) recently acquired the rights to produce it. It was a twin piston engine, high wing, twin boom, twin rudder design with fixed tricycle landing gear. The engines were mounted in a standard "pull" configuration on the wings outboard of the fuselage, and the twin tail booms extended aft from the rear of the left and right engine housings to the respective vertical stabilizers, and a single horizontal stabilizer bridged the gap between the verts. The fuselage had a shape similar to a helicopter, with a large, broad windscreen and a rather blunt-looking nose cone. The cabin was sizable for a light aircraft, and could be configured for at least six passengers, for cargo, or for other roles such as air ambulance. The aft of the fuselage terminated in a large hatch, and the horizontal stabilizer was elevated to allow for quick and easy access to the cabin.
The landing gear featured hardpoints for attachment of pontoons or skis, which could be rotated outboard on a longitudinal axis and raised such that the wheels extended below them, and the aircraft could be landed on tarmac. I remember watching a demonstration video in which the aircraft landed on a lake, then taxied to a shallow beach, raised its pontoons, and continued to taxi onto land.
As I recall, the major selling points were the versatility in bush flying roles, STOL capabilities, high payload capacity and inherent stability.
Overall, the aircraft had a look similar to the Cessna Skymaster, but was much smaller overall with "shoulder" mounted engines instead of the Cessna's centralized push/pull configuration.
Is there anyone who knows anything about this plane, or who knows how and where I might find information about it? I apologize that I can't even give a manufacturer name to narrow it down.
Thanks,
Kody

I like it. I don’t know where I would put it or use it, but I like it.

Last edited:
Twin engine v tail seaplane. Sweet! I love my v tail bonanza.

It looks like a sharp looking design. They list 800 feet water and land take off which seems optimistic. 600lbs useful load with full fuel isn’t bad on paper. Drinks avgas or MoGas with the Rotax motors. I didn’t see how large the cargo space is. It’s hard to gage, but how is this different from the Icon for the target buyer? I really do wonder how the channeled v tail design works with Vmc.

Different from an Icon? In almost every way possible. Much bigger, twin engines, constant speed props, four seats, a useful load that's actually useful (630 Kg, not lbs), faster... and I'm guessing a whole lot more money too.

The fuselage had a shape similar to a helicopter, with a large, broad windscreen and a rather blunt-looking nose cone.

I know it's not a single engine/single boom but it reminds me of the Seabird Seeker:

6CCI6REVVAMXHV5UHFD7QY3ITE.jpg

What about the Lockwood Aircam? It's also a good option with US support.

Wasn't the Seabear, it used pontoons and fixed LG. Wasn't a V tail, it had a twin tail boom with two verts/rudders connected by a single horizontal stab (think P-38). The fuselage hung from the center of the wing. Pretty simple design, actually, with a lot of baked-in redundancy. I want one real bad, but can't find anything about it for the life of me.

The forward fuselage legit looks like this
helicopter-buying-guide-airbus%3Famp

Ah poop, can't post an image yet, sorry. Think Airbus H-125 helicopter, that's how the fwd fuselage looks

Neat plane, wondering how you tie up to a dock with the pontoons.

That's the one I meant to post, yes. Pardon the lack of clarity on that.

Well, three days of searching and I finally found it! I have to apologize, though: I must have gotten the design confused with the Skymaster. It's a twin rudder, but doesn't actually sport a twin boom design; just a really high empennage.
Alright, I'm sure you're all really curious now. The aircraft in question is the Discovery 201.
Here's a link:
http://www.discovery-aviation.com/discovery-201/multimedia/
Thank you all for your interest and input, and again I apologize for the inadvertent misdirection.
Kody

Retractable floats. That's interesting.

I like how the Seabear looks better. Just saying.
Can't say I blame you, and I have to agree to a certain extent. I can't shake the notion, though, that the 201 is likely to cost a whole lot less, and it's easy to imagine that I might even be able to afford one someday. Just maybe.

Back