Time for tailwheel

benyflyguy

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
benyflyguy
I was thinking of going to get my tailwheel sign off. Have heard it’s fun and challenging. Currently fly a 182 and am IFR rated. Since earning that rating earlier this year-I still work and continue to read and learn but am looking for a bit more fun of a challenge. There is a field about 30 min drive that has a husky that is uses for tailwheel sign offs.
Thought it might be fun to do.
What’s the average time it takes to get this??

I was thinking of going to get my tailwheel sign off. Have heard it’s fun and challenging. Currently fly a 182 and am IFR rated. Since earning that rating earlier this year-I still work and continue to read and learn but am looking for a bit more fun of a challenge. There is a field about 30 min drive that has a husky that is uses for tailwheel sign offs.
Thought it might be fun to do.
What’s the average time it takes to get this??

Depends on you and the CFI, lots just train and ink, few train to the point they’d actually let you solo the plane.

For a place with legit training that’ll let you solo after, I’d say figure however long it took you to first solo.

Depends on you and the CFI, lots just train and ink, few train to the point they’d actually let you solo the plane.

For a place with legit training that’ll let you solo after, I’d say figure however long it took you to first solo.
I would want to get signed off the fly theirs. So goal Would to be proficient. I assume it would take a fair amount of time. I imagine it’s a lot of pattern work. So figure lots of short lessons.

I would want to get signed off the fly theirs. So goal Would to be proficient. I assume it would take a fair amount of time. I imagine it’s a lot of pattern work. So figure lots of short lessons.
As @James331 said, just be sure ahead of time that you’re able to rent solo upon completion of the sign-off.

I was going to get my endorsement, but when I found out the 8KCAB was dual only without becoming a buy-in partner, I decided against it, because I wouldn’t have anything to fly.

Regardless of how long it takes for you to get the endorsement and a solo sign-off for a plane, just do it. I agree with the guesstimate above about the endorsement taking about as long as your first solo endorsement did. Of course, I cheated by first soloing in a taildragger. I doubt you will find a pilot anywhere who regretted getting his tailwheel endorsement.

Three, four or maybe five flights and you'll either have it figured out or need remedial training on basics. :rolleyes:

A Husky would be a great first tailwheel plane because of the visibility and being a tandem. You'll be able to jump in a Cub with no worries after that...

Three, four or maybe five flights and you'll either have it figured out or need remedial training on basics. :rolleyes:

A Husky would be a great first tailwheel plane because of the visibility and being a tandem. You'll be able to jump in a Cub with no worries after that...

Doubt it.

I mean I know most here soloed in like 1hr of flight time and got every checkride done at FAA min times and have never made a mistake lol

Doubt it.

I mean I know most here soloed in like 1hr of flight time and got every checkride done at FAA min times and have never made a mistake lol

Oh yeah, I forgot to multiply by the suckage factor. What is it now? 1.8 to 1?

Lol, yeah after learning from the ground up in tailwheel, teaching a ton of tailwheel, I always see that dude at the airport cafe who soloed after his first flight, usually the same dude that got some gazillion point deer hunting but doesn’t have a photo or rack to show, also tends to be the same old timer who groundloops and forgets where he parked at Denny’s.

To each their own

But real world, figure however long it took you to do your first solo, normally that’s a good estimate

Doubt it.

Lol. I almost hit a plane on my first flight. Didn’t know you used the feet to steer on the ground. Just turned the yoke. Funny now. Not so then. Sooo I’m thinking on the longer side of things!!!

I’m in the same boat as you. I typically fly a 182 and picked up the IR not too long ago. The CFI said I was proficient in our club champ after about 8 hours but I need to get one more lesson in to get to 10 hours for insurance before solo.

I think 10 hours is a pretty good estimate for to use going in.

Back