“How much was the down payment.....”

OkieAviator

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
OkieAviator
“... when you bought this airspace.”

Heard this today on CTAF and thought it wasn’t hilarious. From what I could gather was one pilot wasn’t flying as the other thought he should. The recipient of that comment made some remark about sick of wide patterns and having to break out or something like that.

Some people like to show their superiority when flying the local pattern. If I wanted instruction I would hire a CFI.

I was the recipient of a snide comment over the CTAF at a busy untowered field last week. I don't THINK I deserved it, especially since I was the one who gave way w/ at least two miles of separation just so there WOULDN'T be any possible problems. Not 100% sure who was right, and I've been meaning to post a question/description of the occurrence, but, well, the one snide comment on frequency was enough. Not sure I need any more here... ;)

I'd be like....

Since I'm in front of you, it was free. You are number two to land and this will be at Vs + 1, so plan accordingly hot rod.......

That’s the time you want to float it half way miss the last turn off and need to back taxi to clear the runway.

Heard kinda the same pattern critiquing not too long ago (I was on the ground at the run-up area). Somebody says “you cut that too close” and another replies “and I thought you were too wide”. It took a lot of effort on my part not to add on something about fat shaming.

Not too funny at all was the jump plane that completely cut off my base leg. Came from above right in front of me diving to final. That was a BS play right there.

Heard kinda the same pattern critiquing not too long ago (I was on the ground at the run-up area). Somebody says “you cut that too close” and another replies “and I thought you were too wide”. It took a lot of effort on my part not to add on something about fat shaming.

Not too funny at all was the jump plane that completely cut off my base leg. Came from above right in front of me diving to final. That was a BS play right there.

My old airport was that way. The family that owned the airport also owned the jump service. Unfortunately their pilot thought he owned every cubic inch of airspace above it, too...

My old airport was that way. The family that owned the airport also owned the jump service. Unfortunately their pilot thought he owned every cubic inch of airspace above it, too...

I've observed that with jump operations in general. I get it - they're trying to get the plane up, jumpers out, back on the ground, and repeat as many times as possible to maximize profit. But it's not cool when they're compromising safety of other aircraft for it.

I've observed that with jump operations in general. I get it - they're trying to get the plane up, jumpers out, back on the ground, and repeat as many times as possible to maximize profit. But it's not cool when they're compromising safety of other aircraft for it.

Agree 100%. No issue with me about them trying to turn around as quickly as possible. However, when I’m established in the pattern with all the appropriate position reports, and suddenly he cuts me off from above, I have an issue.

Reactions: Ted
I can slow it up to 55 kts on final, lol.

Funny story. POA has me paranoid and ashamed at ever doing straight-in long finals. You guys suck. So I’m coming from Louisville to Indy Regional (Mt.Comfort) last month on a Pilots-n-Paws trip. It was hot, bumpy, and there was an airmet for Tstorms about half the flight, lotsa low cumulus, but easy to stay VFR. Had 5 crated dogs in the back. No copilot. 2 of the dogs were barking nonstop the whole way. Short flight, just under an hour. I’m ready to get on the ground, get myself some A/C, and relief from the poor barkers. Switch off of FF and I’m listening to CTAF. 3 guys doing T&Gs. Screw it...I call 10 mile final straight in...I’m lined up for Rwy 34 since Louisville, lol. No comments. Call 5 mile final, just to make sure they heard me. Expecting snarky comments. Was gonna call 2 mile final next. Guy gets on and asks my position. I tell him I’m 3 out, and I right away apologize for doing the long final, and let him know I’ve got a load of dogs just wanna get my axe on the ground cuz their barking is making me nuts. The guys laughs and says he hears em and says no problem. Another guy gets on and says no worries. Nice fellows, but I still felt bad...cuz of POA. Did I say you guys suck?

Funny story. POA has me paranoid and ashamed at ever doing straight-in long finals. You guys suck. So I’m coming from Louisville to Indy Regional (Mt.Comfort) last month on a Pilots-n-Paws trip. It was hot, bumpy, and there was an airmet for Tstorms about half the flight, lotsa low cumulus, but easy to stay VFR. Had 5 crated dogs in the back. No copilot. 2 of the dogs were barking nonstop the whole way. Short flight, just under an hour. I’m ready to get on the ground, get myself some A/C, and relief from the poor barkers. Switch off of FF and I’m listening to CTAF. 3 guys doing T&Gs. Screw it...I call 10 mile final straight in...I’m lined up for Rwy 34 since Louisville, lol. No comments. Call 5 mile final, just to make sure they heard me. Expecting snarky comments. Was gonna call 2 mile final next. Guy gets on and asks my position. I tell him I’m 3 out, and I right away apologize for doing the long final, and let him know I’ve got a load of dogs just wanna get my axe on the ground cuz their barking is making me nuts. The guys laughs and says he hears em and says no problem. Another guy gets on and says no worries. Nice fellows, but I still felt bad...cuz of POA. Did I say you guys suck?

Let me guess. The 3rd guy was a POA member? :D

Yeah, jump planes at towered airports are much less hoggy about things, and get rewarded. Their short approach skills often can help tower get some space for other arrivals and departures.

At untowered though - ooof

Heard on CTAF at lake Elmo last year:

Dude on the ground: red RV who just landed, you almost hit the runway lights

Cool dude in the RV: did I hit it?

Dude on the ground: you almost hit it

Cool dude in the RV: the operating word being almost.

POA has me paranoid and ashamed at ever doing straight-in long finals.

Long finals are fine, I just giggle when someone calls a 10 mile final going 70 knots. I'll announce '10 miles north, planning straight in 18, will give way to pattern traffic'. Typically only do that if I'm shooting approaches. I actually prefer flying a full pattern, gives me a nice level of comfort.

I was doing my second flight in actual IMC yesterday. Getting vectored to final, right before getting switched over to final approach tells me to "keep your speed up the whole way down". It was obvious why, as I heard him talking to a Gulfstream on a 12-mile straight-in. I was in a Cherokee 5-6 miles out at the time. So what did I do? Kept my speed up, crossed the numbers at 100 mph (12,000 foot-long, 200 foot-wide runway), landed on the left side of the runway on the perfect spot to expedite my turn off on the taxiway and clear the runway for a fellow aviator. Still managed to keep the needles pretty much centered to minimums, too.

I was doing my second flight in actual IMC yesterday. Getting vectored to final, right before getting switched over to final approach tells me to "keep your speed up the whole way down". It was obvious why, as I heard him talking to a Gulfstream on a 12-mile straight-in. I was in a Cherokee 5-6 miles out at the time. So what did I do? Kept my speed up, crossed the numbers at 100 mph (12,000 foot-long, 200 foot-wide runway), landed on the left side of the runway on the perfect spot to expedite my turn off on the taxiway and clear the runway for a fellow aviator. Still managed to keep the needles pretty much centered to minimums, too.

We make a lot of fun of long straight ins, and then that’s exactly what everyone who’s doing instrument training has to do. LOL

I'm all in favor of clever wordplay, snarkiness in general, and the awesome products of their combined powers. But not on frequency. That's just being a too-clever jerk who should have his radio taken away.

+1 to "Not Hilarious"

Back