Thinking about getting a Garmin 496. Worth It?

P51P28

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
ZD
Hey everyone. First post and very glad to be here. I currently use a Garmin 396 and a discussion came up last weekend with a co-owner about upgrading to a 496. Just wondering if its worth investing $500? Thanks for your thoughts!

EDIT: The 496 in question will be used IN ADDITION with an iPad with Foreflight.

Last edited:
Why?

I’d get a old iPhone or ipad for a fraction of that and just mount it with a charge cable and install foreflight if you want to go that route.

The features are the same, but the processor is a little faster and the screen a little sharper.

I've got one sitting at the hangar that I'll let go of for $400. I switched up to the 696.

I've got all the mounts, antennae, and an Airgizmo panel dock and angle adapter, all included in price.

The features are the same, but the processor is a little faster and the screen a little sharper.

I've got one sitting at the hangar that I'll let go of for $400. I switched up to the 696.

I've got all the mounts, antennae, and an Airgizmo panel dock and angle adapter, all included in price.

Thanks a lot for the offer! I'll definitely get back to you.

In your shoes, I would spend a bit more and get a nice used 696.

Hey everyone. First post and very glad to be here. I currently use a Garmin 396 and a discussion came up last weekend with a co-owner about upgrading to a 496. Just wondering if its worth investing $500? Thanks for your thoughts!
I used both models until about 8 years ago (when I switched to an iPad and sold it). I would not bother making the switch from 15 year old technology to 14 year old technology.

I wouldn't bother with a handheld aviation navigator in today's day and age with the connectivity one can get. An ADSB antenna of some stripe connected to your favorite iDevice can give you unparalleled situational awareness.

I used both models until about 8 years ago (when I switched to an iPad and sold it). I would not bother making the switch from 15 year old technology to 14 year old technology.

Good point.

I have a 496 in the Tiger interfaced to my GNS430W so any waypoints that are entered on the 430W also show on the 496. I also have an iPad connected to a Stratus 3i. They both have their pros and cons. On a cross country flight, I probably look at the 496 more than I look at the iPad. I have the 496 connected to the audio panel so I hear its voice alerts (obstacles, terrain, 500 ft) over my headphones.

If it wasn't connected to the 430W, I probably wouldn't use it as much.

I have a 496 in the Tiger interfaced to my GNS430W so any waypoints that are entered on the 430W also show on the 496. I also have an iPad connected to a Stratus 3i. They both have their pros and cons. On a cross country flight, I probably look at the 496 more than I look at the iPad. I have the 496 connected to the audio panel so I hear its voice alerts (obstacles, terrain, 500 ft) over my headphones.

I just like the having another degree of redundancy. The 496 seems like a good option. Simple, portable, robust, reliable. etc

The 496 also has "marine" mode, where you can load "blue charts," which is fabulous.

s-l1600.jpg

It also does auto, which is now worthless.

I’ll put in a recommendation for the Aera 660. It’s a great little unit! Fast and responsive. The screen is super bright.

a6ec1ab03a4cede98df81407d855d933.jpg

397335a205b2c8933214a42334dff07d.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The 496 has airport diagrams. The 396 does not.

This is what we have in the club plane with xm weather tied into it. Quite handy right on the yoke. Only really use it for weather though

I switched from a 496 to an iPad and cell phone with foreflight. I still use the 496 for boating. Very good unit.

I switched from a 496 to an iPad and cell phone with foreflight. I still use the 496 for boating. Very good unit.

How does the refresh rate of the 496 compare to the iPad?

I've had a 496 and a couple Aera series. Seriously, if you really want a portable, the 696 or an Aera are leaps and bounds better for not much more money. But the bigger picture is why do either?Get an iPad mini and your favorite EFB and you blow any portable sky high. Tell us, how much are you wanting to spend on this adventure?

I chose the I Pad over the 496 for a Quaker refresh’s . I was considering the 696, but went with the stratus and foreflight.

I have a 496 that I use for XM. I think XM has a better radar, but the ads-b display on the iPad has much better resolution. I don't have a good way to mount the 496, so it rarely gets used. If anyone wants to buy it and the XM hockey puck, I'm open to offers.

I have a 496 that I use for XM. I think XM has a better radar, but the ads-b display on the iPad has much better resolution. I don't have a good way to mount the 496, so it rarely gets used. If anyone wants to buy it and the XM hockey puck, I'm open to offers.

I sold my 496 a couple years ago with the Airgizmo, bare wire, box and all accessories for $350.

I've had a 496 and a couple Aera series. Seriously, if you really want a portable, the 696 or an Aera are leaps and bounds better for not much more money. But the bigger picture is why do either?Get an iPad mini and your favorite EFB and you blow any portable sky high. Tell us, how much are you wanting to spend on this adventure?

My experience is the 696 is rock solid in all conditions. The ipad doesn't mind shutting down if you leave it in the sunlight and it gets hot. I can't have that in an aircraft with a bubble canopy.

I wouldn't bother with a handheld aviation navigator in today's day and age with the connectivity one can get. An ADSB antenna of some stripe connected to your favorite iDevice can give you unparalleled situational awareness.

I still prefer having a panel mounted, ship powered, handheld device for redundancy if I'm doing any real IFR. Nearly every airplane I fly seriously has one.

I still prefer having a panel mounted, ship powered, handheld device for redundancy if I'm doing any real IFR. Nearly every airplane I fly seriously has one.

My thoughts as well. Nothing wrong with having a backup. The only disadvantage I see in having a 496 or any other Garmin portable are the subscription fees. Oh well. Better safe than sorry.

I love my 496. It sits nicely at the top of the stack and does more than my gnc300xl. 20190910_123606.jpg

After reading the original post I was convinced this was a 10 year old necro-thread.

I just can't see the use of a mono use item like a 496 that needs all sorts of cords and wires to work. My iPad mini just shows up and works. You can a do a lot more with that $500 on an iPad than you can with a 14 year old navigator.

We’re talking about an independently powered handheld device for VFR flight. No handheld is legal for IFR, never has been. My iPad gets ship’s power anyway. A usb converter slides in the 9 volt outlet and a lightening chord goes into the iPad.

I think wiring a handheld into you ship and placing it on the panel is the height of stupidity. Handheld technology changes quickly. Why lock yourself into old technology? I didn’t even look at aircraft with this kind of arrangement when I was shopping.

Made an edit to the original post. Added: "The 496 in question will be used IN ADDITION with an iPad with Foreflight". The 496 will be used as a backup and or primary.

Sorry for the confusion.

Well... if you want a 496, mine might be for sale. I bought an Aera 660 (which I highly recommend) and just need to insert it into the panel. When I do, my 496 and the AirGizmo mount will be for sale.

My phone serves as my backup, since it is the second device on the Foreflight subscription.

Well... if you want a 496, mine might be for sale. I bought an Aera 660 (which I highly recommend) and just need to insert it into the panel. When I do, my 496 and the AirGizmo mount will be for sale.

How often do you have to pay for Garmin database updates on the Aera 660?

How often do you have to pay for Garmin database updates on the Aera 660?

If you have a Garmin 430, 650, etc, I would recommend getting the Onepak, it gives all the databases for a year plus database updates for the Aera, plus upgrade your GP to premium level...they start around $650.
If I’m not flying IFR, then I will let it lapse till I do.

Tom

If you have a Garmin 430, 650, etc, I would recommend getting the Onepak, it gives all the databases for a year plus database updates for the Aera, plus upgrade your GP to premium level...they start around $650.
If I’m not flying IFR, then I will let it lapse till I do.

Tom

Thanks Tom. The Aera 660 looks pretty nice. This will replace a 396 we currently have. It looks like you pay just $150 for a year of updates? How many times approx does Garmin update their databases during the year?

After reading the original post I was convinced this was a 10 year old necro-thread.

I just can't see the use of a mono use item like a 496 that needs all sorts of cords and wires to work. My iPad mini just shows up and works. You can a do a lot more with that $500 on an iPad than you can with a 14 year old navigator.

Glad yours hasn’t quit yet, but the iPad is a general consumer device, and yes, they just work until they don’t.

I have an iPad and an old crusty 296 and they make a nice matched set.

Basic navigation in the yoke with the 296, and the fancy weather and traffic on the iPad.

And when I forget to shield the iPad from the sun and it shuts down, or it locks up and needs a reboot, the 296 is still going. Software updates are few and far between (and yes, the 296 is still supported.)

I just don’t trust a consumer device as a sole primary navigation device. 2 sources, 2 different operating systems on electronics for me.

Sometimes it’s good to be doing less and being reliable, not more.

Glad yours hasn’t quit yet, but the iPad is a general consumer device, and yes, they just work until they don’t.

Basic navigation in the yoke with the 296, and the fancy weather and traffic on the iPad.

And when I forget to shield the iPad from the sun and it shuts down, or it locks up and needs a reboot, the 296 is still going. Software updates are few and far between (and yes, the 296 is still supported.)

I just don’t trust a consumer device as a sole primary navigation device. 2 sources, 2 different operating systems on electronics for me.

I totally agree. The exact reason I want an additional device. :thumbsup:

Thanks Tom. The Aera 660 looks pretty nice. This will replace a 396 we currently have. It looks like you pay just $150 for a year of updates? How many times approx does Garmin update their databases during the year?

$150 + free GP premium upgrade.

The navigation database is every 56 days, just like the panel mounted gps boxes.

GP with premium upgrade is better for IFR than the Aera. I use the Aera as a poor mans MFD.

Tom

A portable Garmin navigator is still a consumer device, and yes, they work until they don't. That's pretty much true of any electronic device. I've flown about 2000 hours behind 396s and 496s. I've had two crap out on me in flight, so nothing is perfect.

I agree that overheating can be an issue. I also keep a backup iPhone (and prior generation iPad) ready to go as well.

Back