MOSAIC Update

Crashnburn

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
Crashnburn
https://eaa.org/eaa/news-and-public...3cXFIem82NnJIbm9ubFwvYXlzUGs2SlFcL2N0OHdOUyJ9

MOSAIC Rulemaking Package Detailed by FAA Administrator

August 8, 2019 - In his final "Meet the Administrator" address as acting head of the FAA, Dan Elwell announced details on MOSAIC, a sweeping reform of special airworthiness certification that includes greatly anticipated reforms to the light-sport aircraft category, amateur-built aircraft, and other major benefits for the legacy general aviation fleet.

In his remarks, which took place during EAA AirVenture Oshkosh 2019, Elwell pulled the curtain back on MOSAIC, the next big thing in aircraft certification. He acknowledged the progress made in recent years with rulemaking on new standards for Part 23 aircraft and new policies to allow safety-enhancing equipment in light GA aircraft and then said those initiatives "are just warmups for MOSAIC."

Addressing light-sport aircraft, Elwell announced that LSA will have an increased weight and up to four seats so that, as he put it, "Instructors can now have some margin when flying with guys like me who like our bratwurst." He also added that electric powerplants will be permissible, which has long been a goal for EAA, along with providing for other emerging technologies.

For amateur-built aircraft, Elwell hinted at reforms that may alter the requirements for how well-proven kit planes can be constructed and flown, perhaps even without the "experimental" moniker. EAA has been clear that traditional amateur building privileges must always be held sacrosanct amid any reforms, and any new alternatives would be optional for those who wish to pursue them.

Finally, Elwell announced a very exciting prospect for the legacy fleet. For older aircraft not being used for commercial purposes, owners will be able to exchange the standard airworthiness certificate for a special airworthiness certificate — similar to certificates held by experimental aircraft. "That means the owner will be able to install lower-cost, safety-enhancing equipment — the kind that is widely available for the experimental market — without an STC or 337." Such a change would also have the potential to expand the ability to substitute for parts that are no longer available, and perhaps even the ability for owners to perform additional maintenance on their aircraft.

For this category, Elwell noted that there would likely be "tradeoffs," such as not flying for compensation or hire and not flying in Canada. EAA is working to understand this last point better, as Canada has a program for its legacy fleet that eases maintenance and equipment burdens as well.

Elwell did not announce a date for the proposed rule to be released, but promised that it would be "worth the wait." He went on to say that as always, the FAA's priority is safety, and the GA community needs to be focused on this year’s higher-than-usual accident rate. Nevertheless, his remarks were received as exciting news for the future of GA certification and aircraft ownership.

I'm a big guy; my wife isn't a miniature woman, and we don't know how to pack light, so the increase in gross weight will be welcome to us.

So does this mean one day a certificated GA plane (eg Archer, Skylane, etc) will be able to use the lower cost panel avionics that experimentals have had access too?

Now I can finally buy the 65” LED in there and remote all my electronics to the back!

“Worth the wait...” well NexGen started before I started flying so I guess this will be done around the time I’m dead. LOL.

Addressing light-sport aircraft, Elwell announced that LSA will have an increased weight and up to four seats so that, as he put it, "Instructors can now have some margin when flying with guys like me who like our bratwurst." He also added that electric powerplants will be permissible, which has long been a goal for EAA, along with providing for other emerging technologies.
Does anyone know if the weight increase/power index will apply only to new construction, or will be retroactively applied to aircraft with standard airworthiness certificates?

FAA management speaks: ". . . a tale told by an idiot, full of sound and fury, signifying nothing. . ."

Ice ages will come and go, the magnetic poles will swap several times, hundreds of thousands of hardworking GS'ers, doing mostly useless jobs, will be born, raised, work, die, return to dust. . .studies contracted, results buried and ignored, and perhaps then, someone with a strand of your DNA will be allowed to install an autopilot or radio that costs 1/2 the price of an identical experimental unit. . .

It's too early to tell.....operators are standing by....and pinheads are working the problem....but, yes, it "should" include old production built planes.

Does anyone know if the weight increase/power index will apply only to new construction, or will be retroactively applied to aircraft with standard airworthiness certificates?
Obviously no one knows. Plus, any final rule will look nothing like what is currently being proposed.
But the current definition of LSA has nothing to do with the type of airworthiness certificate. If it fits, it ships.

Obviously no one knows. Plus, any final rule will look nothing like what is currently being proposed.
But the current definition of LSA has nothing to do with the type of airworthiness certificate. If it fits, it ships.
my understanding....from water cooler talks....is that the rule would be like an LSA plus for current cert aircraft.

Back