(Car) Tire Review: Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady

RJM62

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Geek on the Hill
This is a preliminary PIREP because we haven't had any snow yet. We don't usually get snow in September. October, yes, but not September. Usually.

I use dedicated studded winter tires during the coldest months of the year when ice is a factor, but that's really the only time you should use them. In other weather, they actually reduce traction. Ice isn't usually a consideration until late November and stops being a consideration around mid March, but we do occasionally have light to moderate snow as early as late September and as late as May. I decided that I wanted some extra safety during those months.

Another person in my life also wanted the tires to have the 3PMSF symbol, which basically means that they meet or exceed the minimum standards for severe winter weather and can be used as winter tires where and when required by law (such as in most of Canada in the winter, I'm told).

I'm still not sure how sold I am on the 3PMSF symbol because I'm not sure how well it's enforced, if at all. But there are very few all-season tires that have it, so I guess it means more than the meaningless "M & S" that practically every tire made seems to have nowadays.

After six months of research (seriously), I decided that the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady seemed to be the tire I wanted, based on both consumer reviews and professional testing. It's been around long enough to have some real-world results and reviews, and it seems to rank well in the categories I care about.

The next step was finding the best price, which turned out to be buying them from Goodyear and having them shipped to a local shop for mounting and balancing. That deal came with a $225.00 rebate if I agreed to accept Goodyear's credit card, making it the lowest overall price. (Amazingly, I've already received the rebate card, barely two weeks after buying the tires.)

Here are my initial impressions.

Overall Feel

As one would expect from a tire optimized more toward cold weather, these tires have a more "grippy" feel to them than a summer-optimized tire would. They ride very much like a winter tire would on dry pavement. That's fine with me, but it might bother some drivers.

Traction

No snow yet, but traction in dry-weather, wet-weather, and mud have all been excellent. I noticed no hydroplaning at all when driving through puddles at any speed. That's actually a tough thing to pull off on a tire that's winter-optimized. I'm impressed.

Cornering

Much better than expected. I've found that winter-optimized tires sometime have a tendency to slide laterally in hard cornering maneuvers, probably because the tread is optimized for starting and stopping in snow. These tires didn't slide out at all.

Noise

Probably the noisiest all-season tire I've driven on. The noise is a combination of a hum and a rumble, with a bit of a whoosh thrown in for harmony. It doesn't bother me in the least, but it might bother some people. If tire noise makes you crazy, then this probably isn't the tire for you.

Fuel Economy

It's too soon to say for sure, but my indicated MPG readings are almost 2 MPG lower than the tires that these replaced. However, those tires were worn, so the reading was high.

These tires are also heavier than the ones they replaced, so there's more unsprung weight; and their tread is more aggressive and the rubber optimized for winter, so there is more rolling resistance.

Based on calculated MPG, but after only two tanks of gas, I'm guessing that the MPG loss will be in the 1 MPG to 1.2 MPG range. That's an acceptable trade if they do well in the snow, which I expect they will based on reviews and closed-track tests.

Appearance

For those who care about such things, we have pictures:

1.jpg
2.jpg
Goodyear Credit Card Experience

I applied for and received the Goodyear credit card to get the higher rebate. Because I have my credit reports frozen and have fraud alerts on my files, I had to call Citibank to verify my identity. Then they had to call me back on the number listed in the fraud report. Then they asked me some questions about things like car loans and old addresses and phone numbers.

All in all, it was painless, and I'm actually glad they were cautious. Once the agent was certain that I was indeed me, he gave me my card number and a temporary security code over the phone so I could make the purchase online.

Typical of "store cards," there is a six-month interest-free period, after which the deferred interest calculated from day one kicks in at Shylock rates. So if you decide to go this route to get the extra rebate bucks, make sure to pay off the tires within six months.

Goodyear.com Purchase and Local Installation Experience

The purchase experience was uneventful, and the local installation was excellent. The appointment was kept on-time, the installer had the tires and all the paperwork, no money changed hands other than the tip, and the work was done well. There were no problems with the balancing at any speed, including a trip to Philadelphia this past weekend during which... Let's just say I kept up with traffic on the PA Turnpike.

Rebate Experience

As mentioned earlier, I've already received the rebate. Thorough instructions were included in the purchase confirmation email, which basically consisted of filling out a brief form and uploading a PDF of the email. Very painless, and much faster than I'd anticipated.

All in all, I'm happy with the tires and the entire purchase and installation experience. I also think they'll do well in the light-to-moderate snow for which I chose them, and probably won't get us killed even if we should encounter heavier snow. They have that winter-tire "feel" to them. I think they'll be fine. I'll report again after the first snow.

Rich

I got a set of Nokian WR G3 SUV tires for my little pickup a couple months ago. They're also severe snow rated, but mostly I care about wet traction seeing as we get 70+ inches of rain per year and 0-1 inches of snow. They seem better than the original OEM Mud and Snow tires for the bit of rain we've had so far but that makes sense seeing as rain is neither mud nor snow. We'll see how they do going forward once we get to actual winter.

This is a preliminary PIREP because we haven't had any snow yet. We don't usually get snow in September. October, yes, but not September. Usually.

I use dedicated studded winter tires during the coldest months of the year when ice is a factor, but that's really the only time you should use them. In other weather, they actually reduce traction. Ice isn't usually a consideration until late November and stops being a consideration around mid March, but we do occasionally have light to moderate snow as early as late September and as late as May. I decided that I wanted some extra safety during those months.

Another person in my life also wanted the tires to have the 3PMSF symbol, which basically means that they meet or exceed the minimum standards for severe winter weather and can be used as winter tires where and when required by law (such as in most of Canada in the winter, I'm told).

I'm still not sure how sold I am on the 3PMSF symbol because I'm not sure how well it's enforced, if at all. But there are very few all-season tires that have it, so I guess it means more than the meaningless "M & S" that practically every tire made seems to have nowadays.

After six months of research (seriously), I decided that the Goodyear Assurance WeatherReady seemed to be the tire I wanted, based on both consumer reviews and professional testing. It's been around long enough to have some real-world results and reviews, and it seems to rank well in the categories I care about.

The next step was finding the best price, which turned out to be buying them from Goodyear and having them shipped to a local shop for mounting and balancing. That deal came with a $225.00 rebate if I agreed to accept Goodyear's credit card, making it the lowest overall price. (Amazingly, I've already received the rebate card, barely two weeks after buying the tires.)

Here are my initial impressions.

Overall Feel

As one would expect from a tire optimized more toward cold weather, these tires have a more "grippy" feel to them than a summer-optimized tire would. They ride very much like a winter tire would on dry pavement. That's fine with me, but it might bother some drivers.

Traction

No snow yet, but traction in dry-weather, wet-weather, and mud have all been excellent. I noticed no hydroplaning at all when driving through puddles at any speed. That's actually a tough thing to pull off on a tire that's winter-optimized. I'm impressed.

Cornering

Much better than expected. I've found that winter-optimized tires sometime have a tendency to slide laterally in hard cornering maneuvers, probably because the tread is optimized for starting and stopping in snow. These tires didn't slide out at all.

Noise

Probably the noisiest all-season tire I've driven on. The noise is a combination of a hum and a rumble, with a bit of a whoosh thrown in for harmony. It doesn't bother me in the least, but it might bother some people. If tire noise makes you crazy, then this probably isn't the tire for you.

Fuel Economy

It's too soon to say for sure, but my indicated MPG readings are almost 2 MPG lower than the tires that these replaced. However, those tires were worn, so the reading was high.

These tires are also heavier than the ones they replaced, so there's more unsprung weight; and their tread is more aggressive and the rubber optimized for winter, so there is more rolling resistance.

Based on calculated MPG, but after only two tanks of gas, I'm guessing that the MPG loss will be in the 1 MPG to 1.2 MPG range. That's an acceptable trade if they do well in the snow, which I expect they will based on reviews and closed-track tests.

Appearance

For those who care about such things, we have pictures:

View attachment 77730
View attachment 77731
Goodyear Credit Card Experience

I applied for and received the Goodyear credit card to get the higher rebate. Because I have my credit reports frozen and have fraud alerts on my files, I had to call Citibank to verify my identity. Then they had to call me back on the number listed in the fraud report. Then they asked me some questions about things like car loans and old addresses and phone numbers.

All in all, it was painless, and I'm actually glad they were cautious. Once the agent was certain that I was indeed me, he gave me my card number and a temporary security code over the phone so I could make the purchase online.

Typical of "store cards," there is a six-month interest-free period, after which the deferred interest calculated from day one kicks in at Shylock rates. So if you decide to go this route to get the extra rebate bucks, make sure to pay off the tires within six months.

Goodyear.com Purchase and Local Installation Experience

The purchase experience was uneventful, and the local installation was excellent. The appointment was kept on-time, the installer had the tires and all the paperwork, no money changed hands other than the tip, and the work was done well. There were no problems with the balancing at any speed, including a trip to Philadelphia this past weekend during which... Let's just say I kept up with traffic on the PA Turnpike.

Rebate Experience

As mentioned earlier, I've already received the rebate. Thorough instructions were included in the purchase confirmation email, which basically consisted of filling out a brief form and uploading a PDF of the email. Very painless, and much faster than I'd anticipated.

All in all, I'm happy with the tires and the entire purchase and installation experience. I also think they'll do well in the light-to-moderate snow for which I chose them, and probably won't get us killed even if we should encounter heavier snow. They have that winter-tire "feel" to them. I think they'll be fine. I'll report again after the first snow.

Rich

I had their all season snow rated ones up north, some type of soy based rubber that didn’t get hard in extreme cold. GREAT tire and that’s from a guys who’s a spirited driver.

I got a set of Nokian WR G3 SUV tires for my little pickup a couple months ago. They're also severe snow rated, but mostly I care about wet traction seeing as we get 70+ inches of rain per year and 0-1 inches of snow. They seem better than the original OEM Mud and Snow tires for the bit of rain we've had so far but that makes sense seeing as rain is neither mud nor snow. We'll see how they do going forward once we get to actual winter.

That one also got great reviews, but wasn't available in the size I needed.

Rich

I had their all season snow rated ones up north, some type of soy based rubber that didn’t get hard in extreme cold. GREAT tire and that’s from a guys who’s a spirited driver.

Compliant compounds are the key to cold weather traction, combined with good siping patterns and adequate lug spacing. Beyond that, pound the throttle and get 'er sideways! Winter driving is FUN!!! The deeper the snow, the faster I go!

Compliant compounds are the key to cold weather traction, combined with good siping patterns and adequate lug spacing. Beyond that, pound the throttle and get 'er sideways! Winter driving is FUN!!! The deeper the snow, the faster I go!
Personally I don't mind snow at all. Usually good traction and not a big deal to drive on. Now, when it packs down and becomes ice or melts during the day and re-freezes and becomes ice, those I like a little less. Also the drivers who heard on the news there was ice on the roads and the roads are now clear and dry and 40F and they're still driving 25MPH like their car will magically fly off the road.

I'm in need of new tires on the F-150 as well, but I'm holding off until November or so. I've got just about 50K miles out of the Nitto Terra Grapplers and I've been pretty happy with them. It's my second set, but the first set was LT-rated, and this current set is Passenger since I really didn't need the higher payload rating, which made them significantly lighter. Not the most fuel efficient tires ever, but decent for A/T tires and not particularly noisy either. I have been contemplating just going with an all-season truck tire or less-aggressive A/T tire since my truck has over 150K and I'm pretty certain it'll be the last set of tires I put on it, so I don't really want to drop $1K on tires if I can do it for $800.

Good luck on Goodyears. I never had any good ones.

Don't get me wrong, they make Good 18 wheeler tires, airplane tires and super speedway race tires, but when it comes to car and light truck tires I have had nothing but Bad luck with Goodyears.

I have to get new winter tires for my BMW. Tires are spensive in Germany. :(

Good luck on Goodyears. I never had any good ones.

Don't get me wrong, they make Good 18 wheeler tires, airplane tires and super speedway race tires, but when it comes to car and light truck tires I have had nothing but Bad luck with Goodyears.

I don't recall ever having problems with Goodyear (nor any tire, off the top of my head). But then again, I've been preferring General for a long time, so maybe I had some issues with Goodyear decades ago. I really don't remember. It could just be that I got a good deal on Generals at some point or they were on a car I bought, and I liked them enough to keep buying them.

That particular Goodyear tire, however, has gotten universally good write-ups.

Firestone just came out with a similar tire that's also 3PMSF-labeled, but it's a first-year tire and has no history nor meaningful testing.

Rich

I don't recall ever having problems with Goodyear (nor any tire, off the top of my head). But then again, I've been preferring General for a long time, so maybe I had some issues with Goodyear decades ago. I really don't remember. It could just be that I got a good deal on Generals at some point or they were on a car I bought, and I liked them enough to keep buying them.

That particular Goodyear tire, however, has gotten universally good write-ups.

Firestone just came out with a similar tire that's also 3PMSF-labeled, but it's a first-year tire and has no history nor meaningful testing.

Rich

I know most guys who tow trailers swear by the Goodyear Marathons for trailer tires. I've been running them on my boat and utility trailers for 3 years with no issues, and held held air really well.

I've been buying Coopers, seem to do well

I have always had good luck with Coopers from small cars to 1 ton truck tires.

However when my truck needed tires I went with Michelin. A little more expensive but so far after 2 years the wear is good and the ride has been as good as a 3/4 ton can get with virtually no road noise. Same with the Michelins on the Subaru, except the little cracker box car will always have road noise.

I have definitely had some Firestone’s go wonky, with the tread shifting sideways on the carcas. But I suspect I may have exceeded their speed rating more than once. Something about Texas speed limits.

I had a set of Goodyear Assurance All-Season, which are definitely different from the WeatherReady model.

They were hard, rode harsh and wore unevenly. Keeping them balanced was a chore. I took them off after only 25,000 miles and got a nice set of Nittos.

The AllSeasons look like truck tires, so I'm sure they are more substantial and designed to hold up better. They look like the winter tires required in Germany.

I was a Goodyear Assurance All Season guy for a long time. Then I got Michelins, just to try something different. We've only had a couple of heavy snows since I got them (Michelin Defenders) and they worked out pretty well, noisy though.

I've been buying Coopers, seem to do well

They're probably the most popular brand around here, partially because they treat their dealers well and partially because they're said to be good tires. I haven't used them, but I don't know anyone who has any complaints about them.

Rich

And the rebate is now spent. Sort of. I renewed my Costco membership, went on a grocery run to Sam' Club, and put the balance of $17.72 on Amazon. The key to rebate cards is spending them quickly before they expire.

Rich

I've got a set of Goodyears on the car (bought from tire rack). Two seasons, so far so good. But the car is primarily commuter, so limited highway driving.

I've got a set of Goodyears on the car (bought from tire rack). Two seasons, so far so good. But the car is primarily commuter, so limited highway driving.

This particular tire has exceeded my expectations so far. I really have no complaints at all. The noise might bother some people, but it doesn't bother me. They're not crazy noisy, but they sound more like a snow tire than your averaging touring tire.

I can legally put the studded winter tires on now if I wanted (yesterday was actually the first day), but the idea of buying a 3PMSF tire was to reduce the time the studded tires are installed to those months when ice is a consideration. Ice is really the only times when studs provide an advantage. In every other condition, they actually reduce traction (in addition to eating up the roads and being crazy noisy).

If these Assurance WeatherReady tires perform in the snow like others have said they do, I'll be a happy camper.

Rich

I got some Michelin AS3+ recently and to compare to those soy rubber Goodyears

The AS3+ is a more performance tire all season, for sure, but in HEAVY snow (this why it has the mountain peak snow flake logo thing) the Goodyear IS BETTER, also the good year is a bit cheaper.

Less expensive and better in really bad conditions, like when you say all season you REALLY GET SEASONS: Goodyear

Want max performance but don’t need heavy snow, like a moderate climate where you have a winter but no one dies from getting stranded overnight in January, or have very wide low profile tires: AS3+

I got some Michelin AS3+ recently and to compare to those soy rubber Goodyears

The AS3+ is a more performance tire all season, for sure, but in HEAVY snow (this why it has the mountain peak snow flake logo thing) the Goodyear IS BETTER, also the good year is a bit cheaper.

Less expensive and better in really bad conditions, like when you say all season you REALLY GET SEASONS: Goodyear

Want max performance but don’t need heavy snow, like a moderate climate where you have a winter but no one dies from getting stranded overnight in January, or have very wide low profile tires: AS3+

Tires are one of the very few purchases for which I don't give much thought to price during the selection process. Once I make a selection, I look for the best deal; but I don't make the selection based on price. I researched this tire purchase for six months, analyzing all the data I could find about literally every 3PMSF tire sold in North America. The Goodyears came out on top.

I also have to admit that I was wrong about my skepticism regarding 3PMSF, which originally was my girlfriend's idea. Apparently, unlike the "M&S" that every tire in the world has stamped on it, 3PMSF actually means something.

Another thing I don't skimp on is motor oil. It just doesn't make sense to buy ****ty engine oil just to save a few dollars a year. I also enjoy tribology, so it works out well.

Rich

Tires are one of the very few purchases for which I don't give much thought to price during the selection process. Once I make a selection, I look for the best deal; but I don't make the selection based on price. I researched this tire purchase for six months, analyzing all the data I could find about literally every 3PMSF tire sold in North America. The Goodyears came out on top.

I also have to admit that I was wrong about my skepticism regarding 3PMSF, which originally was my girlfriend's idea. Apparently, unlike the "M&S" that every tire in the world has stamped on it, 3PMSF actually means something.

Another thing I don't skimp on is motor oil. It just doesn't make sense to buy ****ty engine oil just to save a few dollars a year. I also enjoy tribology, so it works out well.

Rich

I agree 100%, price wasn’t really a factor especially with how few miles I drive combined with what I expect out of my cars.

That said unlike the federal reserve I can’t just print money, so I do take note of what things do cost, and the Goodyear surprised me in how low it’s priced for the quality, and for a serious 3 seasons, like winter with a capital W, but also a great dry street tire it’s crazy cheap IMO, only draw back was it isn’t sized for performance cars.

I’d also highly recommend tire rack, free shipping, low price and you get a bunch of extra roadside protection too

If these Assurance WeatherReady tires perform in the snow like others have said they do, I'll be a happy camper.

Rich

I will be too, I bought a set of these for my daughter's car just about exactly the same time you bought yours. I'm in Atlanta, she's in central Pennsylvania and a switchover to winter only tires is not convenient. Being a college student who lives on campus, she always has the option of not driving it the weather gets severe, so on snow tire only days she can just stay put.

I will be too, I bought a set of these for my daughter's car just about exactly the same time you bought yours. I'm in Atlanta, she's in central Pennsylvania and a switchover to winter only tires is not convenient. Being a college student who lives on campus, she always has the option of not driving it the weather gets severe, so on snow tire only days she can just stay put.

Biggest thing you could do for her, and she’d have fun too, send her to a winter road ralley course.

Living in a very snow covered college town, you could put tires made from the hide of god himself and many of the college inexperienced drivers would still end up getting pulled out of the ditch.

Odd side note thing is here the cops WILL write tickets for something/anything if they are called out, think they’ve also searched some of the cars too, sadly public high schools don’t really prep these kids for real life lol.

I agree 100%, price wasn’t really a factor especially with how few miles I drive combined with what I expect out of my cars.

That said unlike the federal reserve I can’t just print money, so I do take note of what things do cost, and the Goodyear surprised me in how low it’s priced for the quality, and for a serious 3 seasons, like winter with a capital W, but also a great dry street tire it’s crazy cheap IMO, only draw back was it isn’t sized for performance cars.

I’d also highly recommend tire rack, free shipping, low price and you get a bunch of extra roadside protection too

I usually use Tire Rack, Discount Tire Direct, or Sam's Club. Tire Rack and Sam's Club both include the road hazard warranty. Discount Tire Direct charges $15.00 / tire more for it.

This time, I bought direct from Goodyear to get the $225.00 rebate for accepting their credit card. I don't recall offhand whether they include a road hazard warranty. It's not hugely important where I live now; but when I lived in Pothole City, it was. But I need to check now.

Sam's Club does a surprisingly good job with tires and batteries. I guess when a mechanic only has to know how to do two things, it's easier to train them to do those two things well.

Rich

Biggest thing you could do for her, and she’d have fun too, send her to a winter road ralley course.

Living in a very snow covered college town, you could put tires made from the hide of god himself and many of the college inexperienced drivers would still end up getting pulled out of the ditch.

Odd side note thing is here the cops WILL write tickets for something/anything if they are called out, think they’ve also searched some of the cars too, sadly public high schools don’t really prep these kids for real life lol.

Also, I suggest you advise her to practice driving without brakes. It's very similar to the gradually-controlled, anticipatory driving style that works best in snow (and saves gas, too). Braking in snow is treacherous, and braking in a turn in the snow can be fatal. Learning to feel and use the car's inertia is the single best thing someone new to driving in snow can do.

As for the tires, they've exceeded my expectations so far, and they get extremely good reviews in snow. I have high hopes.

Rich

Tip? For installing tires? I've never done such a thing. Must be an east coast thing.

The only Firestone tires I've ever bought were some Steel Radial 500s, about 44 years ago. Never again. They weren't round. I hope they do better now, but I won't give them the chance. I hold grudges for a long time on some things.

I've had good results with Goodyear, at least on our Jeeps. Now, the joke on some Jeep boards a couple decades ago was that the "GSA" on Goodyear Wrangler GSAs (the stock tire on my 1999 Wrangler) stood for "Get Stuck Anywhere". Worked fine for me. The open differentials in the Wrangler were (are) more of a problem.

Goodyear Vector tires came standard on our 1986 Dodge 3/4 ton van. Big mistake on Dodge's part. Got about 25,000 miles and they had to be replaced. I don't remember what came on our 1981 Buick Skylark, but I ultimately replaced them with a set of Michelin tires that I thought would never wear out. Got something like 80,000 miles out of that set. I've had great luck with Michelin over the years.

Thanks for the review. I'm starting to look for new tires for our 2013 Ford Escape. It will be the third set, but given that the car has over 105,000 miles on the clock, I'm not complaining.

Tip? For installing tires? I've never done such a thing. Must be an east coast thing.

I was born and raised in New York City. We're notoriously generous tippers. Where I live now, not so much. But old habits die hard.

The only Firestone tires I've ever bought were some Steel Radial 500s, about 44 years ago. Never again. They weren't round. I hope they do better now, but I won't give them the chance. I hold grudges for a long time on some things.

I've had good results with Goodyear, at least on our Jeeps. Now, the joke on some Jeep boards a couple decades ago was that the "GSA" on Goodyear Wrangler GSAs (the stock tire on my 1999 Wrangler) stood for "Get Stuck Anywhere". Worked fine for me. The open differentials in the Wrangler were (are) more of a problem.

Goodyear Vector tires came standard on our 1986 Dodge 3/4 ton van. Big mistake on Dodge's part. Got about 25,000 miles and they had to be replaced. I don't remember what came on our 1981 Buick Skylark, but I ultimately replaced them with a set of Michelin tires that I thought would never wear out. Got something like 80,000 miles out of that set. I've had great luck with Michelin over the years.

Thanks for the review. I'm starting to look for new tires for our 2013 Ford Escape. It will be the third set, but given that the car has over 105,000 miles on the clock, I'm not complaining.

I've never had a horrible experience with any tires. Even the Kumho Solus tires that came with the car weren't horrid in the summer. In cold weather, however, even on dry pavement, they lost a lot of their grip. I never even tried them in actual snow. I would switch to the winter tires the first time the word "snow" was mentioned in a forecast, even if it was flurries.

I used to use Generals just out of habit; but because I bought my current car in October of 2016, I couldn't find the Altimax Arctic winter tires I'd used in the past. I bought Hankook Winter IPike RS W419 studdeds instead, and they've held up amazingly well. They're the first winter tire I've ever used that I'll get a fourth season out of. At this rate they'll age out before they wear out.

As I mentioned earlier, I like studded tires when ice is a factor, but I don't like them too much any other time. The reason they're desirable here is because I live in a watershed where most of the roads get sand instead of salt, making ice a big problem here during the coldest months.

I have high hopes these Goodyears will do well enough in the snow to allow me to install the studded tires later and take them off earlier. All the reviews suggest that they will.

Rich

I was born and raised in New York City. We're notoriously generous tippers. Where I live now, not so much. But old habits die hard.

I've never had a horrible experience with any tires. Even the Kumho Solus tires that came with the car weren't horrid in the summer. In cold weather, however, even on dry pavement, they lost a lot of their grip. I never even tried them in actual snow. I would switch to the winter tires the first time the word "snow" was mentioned in a forecast, even if it was flurries.

I used to use Generals just out of habit; but because I bought my current car in October of 2016, I couldn't find the Altimax Arctic winter tires I'd used in the past. I bought Hankook Winter IPike RS W419 studdeds instead, and they've held up amazingly well. They're the first winter tire I've ever used that I'll get a fourth season out of. At this rate they'll age out before they wear out.

As I mentioned earlier, I like studded tires when ice is a factor, but I don't like them too much any other time. The reason they're desirable here is because I live in a watershed where most of the roads get sand instead of salt, making ice a big problem here during the coldest months.

I have high hopes these Goodyears will do well enough in the snow to allow me to install the studded tires later and take them off earlier. All the reviews suggest that they will.

Rich

I rocked them through a full winter up north and they did great.

Love my BFG Comp 2 A/S's. I can break them loose really easily, but I don't think you could with your typical daily driver

Back