Which tool brand is best for occasional use?

Snap, Mac or old craftsman, cheap tool are too much of a pain to justify the savings.

You can often score some good tool deals on Craigslist.
Scoring high end tools on craigslist has never worked for me. I'm just way too picky for that to work. I'm a big fan of things like comfort grip handles and sizes that are large print and easy to read. Most of what you find on Craiglist for snap-on or the like are your ancient chrome handle micro print variety that's been rode hard and put away wet and is still priced like its made of unobtainium. If I'm going to spend that much, I want what I want not what happens to be available 2nd hand.

Buying a much cheaper tool that's easier and more comfortable for me to use is just fine for me, even if I have to replace it a time or two before I'm dead.

The dumbest idea I ever saw was Tractor Supply trying to sell camouflage printed tools. I mean WTF? I have a hard enough time trying to find the wrench I just had in my hand a second ago.
But if they'd printed them pink you would have found them....

It is remarkable just how much Hazard Fraught tools have improved. In ten years or so, their sockets and ratchets have progressed from utter junk to pretty solid. Good value.

HF can be hit and miss. They still sell some things that are junk. They also sell some nice hand tools. I have a couple of sets of polished open-end wrenches (metric and SAE) that are really nice. Feel good in the hand. Accurate. They've held up well. HF is also starting to sell better lines of battery-operated hand tools. I'm fortunate because an HF retail store is local to me. That gives me the ability to go in to the store and actually look at and hold anything I am thinking of buying. I'm not sure I'd feel so warm and fuzzy about HF if I could only order via the website.

Also, Costco sells a pretty nice socket set under their Kirkland brand. I think they are a good value.

You can sometimes find some good deals at pawn shops. A friend of mine frequents pawn shops and has ended up with quality tools at a bargain price.

Back