Best/easiest Way To Peel Boiled Eggs

Would you share the recipe?

I would if I could, but I really don't use a recipe. I salute some onions, garlic, celery, and ginger along with whatever peppers I have on hand. When they're done to my satisfaction I deglaze with bourbon, and add tomatoes. it would be way better with fresh, but I haven't got any, so I use stuff out of a can, usually diced. I boil the liquid from the cans in another pot to make a syrup, which is added back to the salsa. I add vinegar or lime juice, miso if it needs salt, barley malt if it needs sweetened, bourbon if it needs zip, cilantro always, and sully cumin, oregano, basil, and any other herbs and spices I have on hand that sound good. Once I'm happy with the mixture I process it in the blender until smooth, and can it in half pint jars in a building water canner for 15 minutes. So far its kept in my basement for four months. If I recall correctly this batch has 4 serrano peppers, a couple jalapeños, and a couple habaneros to boot. You have to be very careful wit the latter, they can make your salsa bitter.

How long do you pickle them for?

Eggs stay in brine a minimum of three days, possibly more depending on the strength of the brine. You can poke holes in them with a toothpick or fork to speed things up (after they're peeled, of course).

Sounds good Michael! Will have to try to put something together

Sounds good Michael! Will have to try to put something together

Yeah, sorry about the lack of specifics. I just don't seem to do that, I just keep adding stuff until it tastes right. Still, salsa is actually really easy to make. I do the caning thing because I like making big batches. But tomatoes, some kind of salt, vinegar, sweetener, and lots of spicy stuff, the fresher the better.

You can use lots of different ingredients to substitute. For example, fruit or fruit juice makes a very good sweetener, and you see things like mango or peach salsa all the time. Any kind of citrus will substitute for vinegar. Fresh tomatoes are way better than the stuff I use, but they are seasonal and have there own issues. All kinds things you can throw in addition, like corn, black olives, anchovies, fruit bats, orangutans, breakfast cereals...

Have to say, there is something really satisfying about perfectly peeling an egg.

egs.jpg

Have to say, there is something really satisfying about perfectly peeling an egg.
True! I especially like it when a large section comes off intact.

By the way, when I get a difficult one, I find that I get better results if I close my eyes while peeling.

My neighbor makes great deviled eggs,never asked how they got to the finished stage. Why would you peel them ,when you can buy them pre peeled.

Put eggs in pan, add tap cold water, cover and heat until they begin to boil.

Immediately take off burner and let sit in that hot water for 16-18 minutes, depending how many you are boiling.

After 16-18 minutes drain water, add cold tap water to cool them down for about 2 minutes. Then peel. 90% easily peeled but usually 100%. It works. I eat boiled eggs 3-4 times a week.

So, now that it down, wife makes me boil AND peel eggs for her deviled eggs. They gooood!

Last edited:
Why are brown eggs more difficult than white? I usually buy organic brown eggs and haven’t noticed any real difference.

Has more to do with some subtle differences in production methodology than anything to do with the eggs. Generally we hard cook medium sized or small large eggs and brown birds tend to produce fewer of these sizes. The commercial brown bird strains also tend to be less feed efficient and thus their eggs are more expensive to produce, and with no internal differences it doesn’t make sense to use brown eggs to hard cook.

P.s. I wouldn’t spend money on organic eggs.

ok...my method? Get the water boiling first. Use a large utensil to gently put the eggs in the boiling water ( I use a ladle which will hold 2 at a time....) Boil for 10 minutes... While boiling, fill a large bowl with Ice. At the end of the ten minutes pour out the water and add the ice over the eggs, then add water until eggs are covered. Let it sit there for about 5-10 minutes... peel each egg while holding it under cold water allowing the water to get between the egg and the shell as you go (I find it helps to release the shell). If the eggs are really fresh, try to grab the thin membrane under the shell and use it to tear the shell off...

I usually crack it open with a spoon and take it out like you would take out the pit of an avocoado
I take the pit out of an avocado by striking it with the blade of a kitchen knife (hacking, not stabbing) such that the pit sticks to the blade. I don't think that would work with an egg

My hard boiled eggs have been difficult to peel lately, despite doing the pierce-the-shell trick, so I did an experiment tonight- tried cooking them in a silicone ice cube tray. Seems promising, though they stuck a little, so I'll need to spray the tray with oil next time. Further research is required.

I have actually gotten pretty good at it this year, as I have been eating a lot of hard boiled eggs for breakfast. The ladies know how to do it. I figured it out. I copied them. Game on, bishes.

But the boiled and peeled one (18) at Costco

My hard boiled eggs have been difficult to peel lately, despite doing the pierce-the-shell trick, so I did an experiment tonight- tried cooking them in a silicone ice cube tray. Seems promising, though they stuck a little, so I'll need to spray the tray with oil next time. Further research is required.
You cooked it like this?

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone would want to eat something that looks and feels like a huge eyeball and tastes and smells like a solid, mealy fart. Hard boiled eggs are the ONLY food I don't like. Eating one requires a tankload of salt and several beers for me.

Rectilinear eggs. Very nice, great success.IMG_1445.JPG

I only like the whites with a dash of cayenne pepper. My wife only likes the yolks- with salt. Delish.

Put the eggs in cold water. Then turn on the stove, cook normally. For some reason dropping the eggs into already boiling water makes them hard to peel. -Skip

Back