Apollo 11

First Man was interesting. I wonder how much of the moon sequence really happened - did Armstrong leave some memento of his daughter on the moon?

Just finished “Chasing The Moon.” Excellent series if you get a chance to watch. A lot of footage I had never seen.

Just finished “Chasing The Moon.” Excellent series if you get a chance to watch. A lot of footage I had never seen.
i watched it this week. It is free on line with the PBS app. Very much worth watching.

Just watched Armstrong. Great documentary with rare footage and interesting family interviews. Particularly interesting is a brief clip in the credits of Chuck Yeager and Neil standing around a T-33 that looks like it dug into the dry lake at Edwards. A must for Apollo fans.

Not in the documentary but I see his death was possibly medical malpractice. His sons sued and got some serious cash.

Not in the documentary but I see his death was possibly medical malpractice. His sons sued and got some serious cash.

Yes, possibly malpractice with a bad decision to take him to the catheterization lab rather than the operating room.

I am not sure Neil himself would have approved of the threats to sue and the large settlement due to his fame.

Yes, possibly malpractice with a bad decision to take him to the catheterization lab rather than the operating room.

I am not sure Neil himself would have approved of the threats to sue and the large settlement due to his fame.

I agree. His wife wanted no part of a lawsuit as well. His sons also sold a bunch of his stuff while his wife donated items to Purdue.

His sons also sold a bunch of his stuff while his wife donated items to Purdue

I hate that.

Several years ago I came across an eBay add. It was everything a WWII flyer had from the military, from his draft notice to the final order releasing him from duty when the war ended, including uniforms, letters to his girlfriend/wife, ribbons, medals, wings and pictures. And much more. I really wanted to buy it all and donate it to a museum that would display everything with a note attached, the kids sold this on eBay.

Watched “First to the Moon” tonight. Another excellent Apollo documentary. This one on the Apollo 8 mission. A bit long but some great interviews and more footage I hadn’t seen before.

And much more. I really wanted to buy it all and donate it to a museum that would display everything with a note attached, the kids sold this on eBay.

You never know though. Might have been to fund treatment for an illness or an education — something the original person who served would have been proud to be able to contribute to.

Apollo 11 was one of many movie options on UA to/from Shanghai last week. I should have watched it. Oh well...

Just watched Armstrong. Great documentary with rare footage and interesting family interviews. Particularly interesting is a brief clip in the credits of Chuck Yeager and Neil standing around a T-33 that looks like it dug into the dry lake at Edwards. A must for Apollo fans.

I watched Armstrong last night on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it more that I thought I would. Let me click on the trailer and... that looks pretty good. I liked the fact that it featured the real people and not actors, with the exception of Harrison Ford, who read from material Armstrong had written. This was slightly distracting because, although Harrison Ford has a pleasing voice, it doesn't resemble Neil Armstrong's voice at all. I found the segments with his first wife, Janet, especially interesting, and was sorry to find out that she died before the movie was released. I noticed that Michael Collins participated, but Buzz Aldrin did not.

I watched Armstrong last night on Amazon Prime. I enjoyed it more that I thought I would. Let me click on the trailer and... that looks pretty good. I liked the fact that it featured the real people and not actors, with the exception of Harrison Ford, who read from material Armstrong had written. This was slightly distracting because, although Harrison Ford has a pleasing voice, it doesn't resemble Neil Armstrong's voice at all. I found the segments with his first wife, Janet, especially interesting, and was sorry to find out that she died before the movie was released. I noticed that Michael Collins participated, but Buzz Aldrin did not.

Yeah everything that I’ve read or watched on Aldrin’s relationship with Armstrong seems to indicate it was pretty cold. They got along well enough to get the mission done but I think Aldrin created internal conflict by pressing the whole, who would be first to walk on the moon issue. Seemed like Armstrong was liked universally by all the astronauts, while Aldrin, not so much.

It was interesting seeing Queen Elizabeth give her Christmas speech. There was a lot of interweb chatter about a picture in the background.

It's in the back, next to her right shoulder.

p07yxk21.jpg

Here's the photo:

queen-elizabeth-ii-with-the-apollo-11-astronauts-at-news-photo-51858225-1563814825.jpg

Back