Can plane avionics be upgraded?

But does this clock

iOS-Screenshot-20140228-231649-02.png

have more data than this one?

DSC_0728watered_1024x1024.jpg

No. The iThingy is clearly in the wrong time zone, and the analog clock shows portions of a minute whereas the Chinese-manufactured spy device only gives update# every 60 seconds. Damn, the tech actually isn’t as good. Now what will we do?

I am a pretty low-time pilot, but I have found the steam/6 pack, GNS430W, GDL-88 work well. That, along with flightstream 210 sending all the data to my iPad (I use garmin, but foreflight works too) is good enough for me. But again, I'm a low time, vfr pilot flying somebody else's plane. Even if (when) I purchase my own, I don't think going nuts on avionics will be a huge priority if I can get this same setup for a fraction of the cost.

As mentioned , no G1000 retrofit. Until recently, the only unique thing the G1000 had was the GFC700 autopilot. Now that the GFC600 is available that has changed somewhat* . You could buy a mint 172 and spend $65,000 on a G500 + GFC600 and get similar capabilities with newer electronics than the G1000. You would probably have a greater useful load to boot. Just understand that you will be mocked mercilessly on the internet if you tried to sell it for the 150k you would have into it.
Pilots are cheap and even a modern GPS in a trainer plane doesn't get you a good payback in terms of sales value. It's easy to 'over improve' aircraft aviionics wise.

* Would have to check the model list , the 172 may be limited to the GFC500.

Soooo. Channeling @Deelee up thread, let’s say you were looking at simple easier to afford planes. Like this C150.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/83926615/1966-cessna-150

What are the smart ways to get a reliable com radio and ADS B compliant with an intercom?

I’ve seen some slim flip/flop digital radios.

This would be a fun plane. I’m thinking I could use an iPad for GPS navigation? How do you make this usable and not ugly so my daughter might fly with me?

Soooo. Channeling @Deelee up thread, let’s say you were looking at simple easier to afford planes. Like this C150.

https://www.controller.com/listings/aircraft/for-sale/83926615/1966-cessna-150

What are the smart ways to get a reliable com radio and ADS B compliant with an intercom?

I’ve seen some slim flip/flop digital radios.

This would be a fun plane. I’m thinking I could use an iPad for GPS navigation? How do you make this usable and not ugly so my daughter might fly with me?

Depends what exactly you want. If you're going to be VFR-only, then just a GTX-345 transponder would do the trick. The Icom A220 radio (?) that's already in it allows you to monitor a second channel (guard, ATIS, etc) so there' really no need for a new radio. It says it has an intercom built in already, but if it's old/junky I would find whatever replacement PS Engineering makes for it, hopefully a simple slide-in...

The 345 gets you compliant and gives you all the traffic and weather you want on your iPad, and the rest is fine for a VFR only bird. That's also the nicest 150 I've seen in a long time, and it's not over-done with a high price tag like some are.

Back