First flight from northern VA?

Anyone interested in a POA breakfast flight to DELMARVA or PA somewhere on 15 Sept? I have a 182 reserved with no particular destination in mind and the last one was fun. Long range wx says some rain am but who knows at this point.

Heading out to the Beech Aero Club annual BACFest. On the 15th I'll be on the commercial tube flying home from Denver, otherwise I would be good to go.

Probably can't either.
Dave

Looks like this Saturday (9/7) I am going to head to Williamsburg (JGG) for an early lunch at Charly's right when they open at 11. Anybody else? Never been, but the reviews are really good.

Out west the 15th, sorry. Keep 'em coming, though! DeeLee, doing some transition training this Saturday, I'll try and talk the customer into lunch there, one of my favorites!

@catmandu great! I will be there even a bit before they open. I pretty much need to eat and be out by noon unfortunately. I have heard good things about Charly's. If you are there look for me I'll send you a pm. Allen, still want to try to meet up again maybe the next weekend... I'm trying to fly as much as possible in between kid sports stuff.

I second WillWood field at Cape May (KWWD). Decent food, decent prices. Just don't order the "chili", it's not chili. Damn dumbazz Yankees put beans in it, making it a bean stew instead.
Avoid the grumpy old waitress, she's no fun.
And btw, ask Dover approach for a lowpass. Make sure you have someone to take a good video of all the C5s and C17s sitting on the ramp! :)

Hi guys! Bookmarking this thread for when I get my ticket. Targeting my checkride for November-ish if everything goes well fingers crossed. I fly out of KHEF... Cant wait to start flying out to nearby places and meet you all!

f.

Who are you flying with out of HEF? That's where I am.

This weekend and the next aren't looking really good for me to fly due to schedule, but I'm looking for somewhere to go for breakfast or lunch on 9/28. For some reason, Hummel looks interesting - a couple of restaurants nearby. Although Cape May could be interesting, too.

If you go to Hummel, Merroir is a bit of a walk but is really nice.

Hummel (W75), at least when I was there, has three plywood panels for the glideslope. Also, when landing on 19, the corn is pretty high just before the threshold. But it's a fun airport to fly into and there's a restaurant on the field side of the road that had a good breakfast. Eckhard's restaurant, across the street is closed until 9/18...they're on vacation.

Hummel (W75), at least when I was there, has three plywood panels for the glideslope. Also, when landing on 19, the corn is pretty high just before the threshold. But it's a fun airport to fly into and there's a restaurant on the field side of the road that had a good breakfast. Eckhard's restaurant, across the street is closed until 9/18...they're on vacation.

Also, no windsock .The indicator is a Tetrahedon with christmas lights on it. Depending on when the swivel was greased last time, it may or may not indicate the correct wind direction. With the two coastlines and the trees, you can have some interesting wind experiences. Rwy is 2167ft. Plenty enough for a 172, but for someone who trained at HEF it may be an adjustment.

KGED Georgetown, DE Good restaurant on the field. Also, DE gives you the motor fuel tax back if you send in a form with the receipt (and you get a discount at the restaurant if you fill up).

Hummel (W75), at least when I was there, has three plywood panels for the glideslope

Williamsburg (JGG) was like that, too. Never had seen that before, but it wasn't an issue since I just aimed for the numbers and ended up with a pretty good landing.

Rwy is 2167ft. Plenty enough for a 172, but for someone who trained at HEF it may be an adjustment.

Yep. I'm in a 172, so the length should be just fine. Width is interesting at 45', but what better way to make sure you are on centerline, right? I'm trying to fly to different, more interesting airports to build experience going in to places that aren't 100' wide and 3000'+ long... but always ready for a go around or to just plain and simply divert if the challenge is too great, winds/crosswinds too much for my experience level (which is not much at this point..)

Basically, I'm trying to safely broaden my skills by going in to as many different traffic patterns, different airports as possible. Plus it keeps things interesting and I get a nice stamp in my Virginia Dept of Aviation passport!

Last edited:
KGED Georgetown, DE Good restaurant on the field.
Dangit, didn't know, I would have taken my buddy there when I visited Dover a few weeks ago. File in my brain for future trips to DE. :)
Thanks!

Also, DE gives you the motor fuel tax back if you send in a form with the receipt.
Hmm, did I miss a memo? I'd love to get me some tax refund. Got a link or some instructions? I filled up in DE twice. Hope I can get some cash back.

Hmm, did I miss a memo? I'd love to get me some tax refund. Got a link or some instructions? I filled up in DE twice. Hope I can get some cash back.

The FBO at KGED gives you the form when you fill up. I don't know why they charge motor tax on aircraft fuel in the first place, but at least they give it back. Good idea to collect your DE receipts for a year and send them in with one application.

https://www.dmv.de.gov/services/TransServ/MFSF/GasRefund/index.shtml

§ 5120. Refunds of motor fuel taxes.

• The Secretary of Transportation shall refund out of the General Fund of this State the tax paid on gasoline upon receipt of written authorization from the Department of Transportation so to do, which written authorization shall be given under the following conditions:
      1. Gasoline used by any person for the purpose of operating stationary gas engines, tractors, motorboats, airplanes or aircrafts, or any other purpose except in motor vehicles licensed, or subject to being licensed, for operation upon any of the public highways of the State.

Think I am going to try Hummel (W75) tomorrow morning. Weather looks good to try a shorter field.

Anybody want to meet? Also, any recommendations on field or close by (walking distance) for breakfast? I should be there around 9 or 9:30.

Thanks! I'm only in for breakfast, though. That place looks amazing for lunch/dinner, so next time when I have time for lunch I will check it out.

I called the FBO and he said that I could just taxi off by 1, make a left and park in the grass next to a place called Pilot House Inn. Anybody want to meet up for breakfast over there? Looks like a fun place to fly in to.

You can also park in the grass on the north side of the taxiway near the fuel pumps. Achtung! Das warbird operation ist nicht fur parking.

That’s good to know!! I think I can translate that German...

Great flight to Hummel! Short runway, but I guess everything is relative in a 172 (so not really that short). Ate at the Pilot House Inn. Good breakfast buffet and great folks. I really need to try Merrior.. the folks at the restaurant said it is good and the view is good from the outdoor seating area.

And yes... Das Warbird was there and I didn't park near it! Going to definetely go back here for lunch at Merrior one day maybe soon. They have a fly-in (Wings, Wheels and Keels) next weekend. But I think I may be headed back to Ocean City for the day Saturday (sept 28).

To resurrect and old thread, tomorrow is a day off for many of us tomorrow, the winds of today are supposed to be back down to pleasant.

Anyone want to do a Mid-Atlantic breakfast get together? Wide open as to where as I have a plane reserved and no particular agenda (other than getting an approach in someplace)

Cambridge?
Ocean City?
other?

I should be available. 3 Tango Charlie really needs to get the oil pumping.

So OC Is out since it's your home field :D I'm coming out of Gaithersburg (KGAI) with the 182RG so decent speed available.

So OC Is out since it's your home field :D I'm coming out of Gaithersburg (KGAI) with the 182RG so decent speed available.

How about Cape May? I called and the restaurant is open tomorrow.

How about 0930 TOT?

Last edited:
Checking with the home office... never been to Cape May. And I haven’t done a just-for-fun flight in a month since I have been doing all IR training under foggles recently. Would be nice to see outside again.

All depends on the fam schedule, though.

Just let me know what time to meet at Cape May.

....I haven’t done a just-for-fun flight in a month since I have been doing all IR training under foggles recently. Would be nice to see outside again.

BTDT, it’s nice to take a break.

Checking with the home office... never been to Cape May. And I haven’t done a just-for-fun flight in a month since I have been doing all IR training under foggles recently. Would be nice to see outside again.

Oh yea. I remember what a relief it was to just go fly again. I posted over in Beechtalk too so maybe we'll have a few folks.

Welp, I'm out. Just checked the booking sheet and somebody has the plane at noon tomorrow. Ugh. I need my own plane.... Anybody know of a nice four seat in good shape for sale in the HEF area?

Also, please keep me in mind for future meet up attempts. I had a great time meeting some of you way back in August at Cambridge.

.... Anybody know of a nice four seat in good shape for sale in the HEF area?

Just so happens I can't make tomorrow as I am picking up a nice Arrow from the paint shop and returning it to Tipton. It is for sale, PM me for pre-advertising pricing and details. :D

I’ll check back tonight to see who is attending. I had a nice post maintenance flight today and getting back in sync with our Commander.
49E5B92A-E1F3-42FF-BD3E-108771A9B5C1.jpeg

Pugs, if this goes, I would be interested in sharing cost with you.

This is amusing timing, there was a recent cringeworthy thread on reddit where a newbie wanted to pay pro-rata for a ride in NoVA (and drew a whole bunch of armchair lawyers hooting at him for ... I guess holding out in reverse? is that holding in?). I imagine some of you are redditors too, you might want to connect and invite him along. :D It was in r/flying and was something like "can I pay half of a $100 hamburger"

I expect after the hullabaloo, the dude is out getting a boat license instead. But maybe he can be salvaged.

Edit: found it https://www.reddit.com/r/flying/comments/eqbgo8/can_i_subsidize_your_100_hamburger/

Back