Accuracy of AOPA VRef

TimRF79

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Tim
As I am selling my Bellanca super Viking currently, this is is my first time selling a plane, I am getting a broad range of opinions of what the value should be.
The only equivalent of Kelly Blue Book that I know is the AOPA VRef.
Now, I am wondering how solid is that AOPA VRef in comparison what you normally get/ price your plane for?

It's a starting point but not a 100% solid gold number.

It's a starting point but not a 100% solid gold number.
This.

If you need a more better number, then hiring a live appraiser knowledgeable in Bellancas is the way to go.

OK, 2 questions (follow-up):
Get that it's not a gold-number, but how much below VRef would be normal? (like 10%, or is 30% below VRef still normal)
Where/ How do you find a live appraiser?

OK, 2 questions (follow-up):
Get that it's not a gold-number, but how much below VRef would be normal? (like 10%, or is 30% below VRef still normal)
Where/ How do you find a live appraiser?
I have had some good email conversations with Mike Simmons. He could be a good jumping off point to find the right human. https://appraiseaplane.com/user/msimmons/

Tim - BSV’s are priced all over the place. They are unique and I don’t personally think VREF works for those planes. Its not a huge fleet. There are many that haven’t sold because only a few people want to spend big $$ on a BSV’s. Others have remained unsold for a long time even at low prices because of problems like too few hours in recent years, missed annuals etc. I think in the end - with all planes- the price that works is what someone is willing to pay for it and how fast you need to part with it. Not sure VREF can value the last 2 factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got to agree with @Tommar98. It's not like Commanders where you'd turn to sun coast or Trinidad where you'd hit up tb4sale. Sum up any modern avionics, the engine value and then you've got yourself an absolute floor.

As I am selling my Bellanca super Viking currently, this is is my first time selling a plane, I am getting a broad range of opinions of what the value should be.
The only equivalent of Kelly Blue Book that I know is the AOPA VRef.
Now, I am wondering how solid is that AOPA VRef in comparison what you normally get/ price your plane for?

PM Sent... I may have some interest. I have always liked Super Vikings.

Got to agree with @Tommar98. It's not like Commanders where you'd turn to sun coast or Trinidad where you'd hit up tb4sale. Sum up any modern avionics, the engine value and then you've got yourself an absolute floor.

The irony is that they have zero listings on tb4sale, and I can find more Commanders and socatas in TAP and controller. Now if you mean the cherry, word of mouth non-negotiables then sure, the boutique angle works. For the rest though, I'd just throw a number and if the guy gets offended oh well.

Also, check in with your type club. Could be someone there has a good lead on a person or information that is mass quantities of helpfulness.

Another thing to do is to go to the various sites (or globalplanesearch.com) and see what's on the market. Sort by price, and you'll probably find a relatively obvious range of asking prices.

Another thing to do is to go to the various sites (or globalplanesearch.com) and see what's on the market. Sort by price, and you'll probably find a relatively obvious range of asking prices.

That is actually very practical advice, and something I put more stock on than these name-recognition anachronisms so-called "tools" of the last century.

Further, I'd go on and low ball these sellers and see where they're really at. The guy who scoffed at me last spring for low balling his clapped out Lance came back this summer and posted it literally for the amount I had offered 6 months before. But now I'm feeling emboldened by the upcoming recession so eff that guy, I'm going for gold here! :D

Andrew Knott does consulting (I believe) as well.

The irony is that they have zero listings on tb4sale, and I can find more Commanders and socatas in TAP and controller. Now if you mean the cherry, word of mouth non-negotiables then sure, the boutique angle works. For the rest though, I'd just throw a number and if the guy gets offended oh well.

A lot of VREF is the condition sellers like to value their planes 7 of 10 on everything even if the paint is old and seats torn. Engine and prop overhaul time is a fixed value, who did the overhaul factory or backyard all effect the price.

List at the high end, negotiate down, until you are ticked off at the number and say "No".
Your price is somewhere north of that number.
In the end it's only worth what someone will give you for it.

Here is my technique....

Find a hurricane inbound...

Place a cup on the ground.

When the storm force winds arrive, attempt to pee in the cup while standing.

What ever percentage makes it in, that is about how accurate the Vref et al sources are.

We sold my old '63 172D last year for $49,500. I just plugged all the numbers into Vref including the STEC 30 and the STC'd Avion Research upgraded panel and the valuation came in at $49,700. It's just one data point, but I'm impressed.

Since this thread isn't too old I thought I would ask the same question here. I have a Skyhawk that is about to have an overhaul completed and because of that I went to vref to make sure I had it insured adequately. I just about fell out of my chair at the value vref placed on my skyhawk, approx $15K higher than I thought it was worth. I appreciate Stan's post above, does anyone else have experience with the value of a Skyhawk and vref?

172s, 182s and 177s have gone crazy in value recently (past 2 years.) Coincidentally, basic med is just about 2yrs old. Our club has had to increase the insurance on our 182s twice, for quite a lot to hit replacement value. Heck, they're selling '69 182s for 80-90k.

I was just playing on Vref today and notice they don't have many of the modern options listed. They need to update this! IFD's are selling pretty well and not listed at all. Additionally there are no modern autopilots like the STEC 3100 or GFC's. No G5's, etc, etc. I feel like the basis is good but it's update time.

Edit: Maybe @TomHaines can help with this?

Last edited:
G5 is on there, you just have to look in a not-obvious category. It caught me the other day as well.

The post I was replying to just mentioned "vref" so that's where I looked :dunno:

Vref is only a starting point. I like to do my own comps and research the different sites. Such as trade a plane , controller, barnstormers and EBay. To name a few.

Back