“Bargain” $1,000 phone?

iOS 13 is coming out next week and won't support it. Scroll down for the list of supported devices.

https://www.apple.com/ios/ios-13/
Not only do the older phones such as the 6 and 6S not support IoS13, they also do not support a lot of the new bands that operators have been deploying. IOW you may have lousy service because you are using a device too old to use the new radio channels that are covering your area.

Not only do the older phones such as the 6 and 6S not support IoS13, they also do not support a lot of the new bands that operators have been deploying. IOW you may have lousy service because you are using a device too old to use the new radio channels that are covering your area.
It's a work phone. When I move back to the States (next year??) it will be going away. Maybe I should put iOS 12 on. Ha! (just kidding...I am on 12)

6s, 6s+ and SE are supported. 6 and 6+ are not.

Basically all phones and iPod with an A9 chip or newer.

Funny thing, though: they splintered off iPad into a separate OS variant and it still supports the A8 chip.

they also do not support a lot of the new bands that operators have been deploying. IOW you may have lousy service because you are using a device too old to use the new radio channels that are covering your area.

This is the major reason I am finally upgrading from my 6.

Mine is so old I doubt it would be worth anything as a trade it. I think I'll unport it and use it on those rare occasions I travel internationally.

Last edited:

Ahh you think carriers add new bands in rural areas, I see. LOL. :)

Kinda kidding, but kinda not. There aren’t any upgrades going on out here...

I could use anything that does the initial roll out bands of LTE and still have the same single carrier coverage from Verizon and zip from the other carriers as I have today.

Of course part of that is from living across the FCC licensing line where real carriers end and Viaero picks up. LOL. Their slow ass LTE and weak backhaul deployments are impressive in a “How are you that far behind?” sort of way. Hahaha. Poor little company.

Yay rural carriers and that rural access fee y’all pay every month. :) I think they suckle from that teat, even. Haven’t checked lately.

I’m all for Verizon “densifying” out here. A microcell on every house should do it. No idea where they’d get the backhaul for any of it. Hahahaha.

A picture is worth a thousand words they say. Here’s the history on my Speedtest app.

You can see the wireless ISP speeds the day before a new Motorola Canopy subscriber unit, the speed on Verizon outdoors even, and then the minor speed increase on the new Canopy unit.

The new Canopy tested at 40 Mb/sec without the rate limiting but they won’t sell it to me yet. I tried like an hour after the upgrade. Ha. I suspect they’re so oversubscribed they don’t want to disappoint anyone. I’d pay the 50 rate for “best effort” at 40. They don’t want the extra $120 a year from me I guess. ;)

dd1c4c7b1dc0822a9b5586c66dc527c3.jpg

6s, 6s+ and SE are supported. 6 and 6+ are not.

Basically all phones and iPod with an A9 chip or newer.

Funny thing, though: they splintered off iPad into a separate OS variant and it still supports the A8 chip.

Gee, how much processing power does it take to run those extra emojis and transparent windows?

It takes a fair bit of processing power to learn and analyze your movements and behaviors. There's a reason they call them "smart" phones.
But all that analysis is in the cloud(tm) nowdays, how else would they sell your information to advertising companies. Much like how difficult it is to find a non-build-it-yourself home automation system that doesn't assume always-on internet.

But all that analysis is in the cloud(tm) nowdays, how else would they sell your information to advertising companies. Much like how difficult it is to find a non-build-it-yourself home automation system that doesn't assume always-on internet.
Not all. It helps to reduce some of the uploaded bandwidth, especially with data rates being asymmetrical.

Samsung used to have that but they killed it.

Honest answer here: The Pro versions of many manufacturer’s products only available to professional installers — will do this.

At least according to the installers trolling the various automation sites. Makers like Lutron and Leviton have systems destined to be installed by pros that you can’t buy in the open market easily.

Not cheap.

“The cloud” was such great marketing, I mean saying someone else’s computer, or google corporate servers just doesn’t have that happy puffy image

I want a phone with quality voice sound. I’m still waiting.

The bandwidth of the phone system is only 4 kHz, so unless we complete change the entire phone system, you'll never have the audio quality of sitting right there with someone when using it. It's possible to have great quality with third-party apps, but not really with a "phone", not even a landline.

More than that, the concept of “putting all my eggs in one basket” is ludicrous. Far too many people put their entire lives in one device. Lose it, you’re toast. You’ve lost contact lists, photos, music, etc. Really now, how often do you think the unwashed masses back up the phone?

I believe that automatic backups to iCloud are now the default on the iPhone. Before iCloud, automatic backups to your computer via WiFi. Apple may be a big company, but they ain't dumb and they know that every user that has a problem with their phone where they lose everything is going to blame it on them. So, they made it easier to back up than to not back up, so that those users could replace their phone and still have all their stuff.

It's funny that an iPhone is still called a phone. The phone is the least used feature of the device. That's like calling an Apple Watch a watch.

I use my Apple Watch as a watch a whole lot more often than I use my iPhone as a phone.

By FAR, the best cameras are in Google Pixel phones. AND.............you don't have to deal with ianything!!

Yeah, you just have to deal with some creeper at Google looking at your pics. :p

Actually, Google is looking at your pics and analyzing them in an effort to sell you more crap.

The bandwidth of the phone system is only 4 kHz, so unless we complete change the entire phone system, you'll never have the audio quality of sitting right there with someone when using it. It's possible to have great quality with third-party apps, but not really with a "phone", not even a landline.

And digital phone systems are way lower than that. We didn’t create MOS because analog sounded bad. Digital compression used in early LTE was awful, and I assume that’s what she’s talking about. But anything modern will be doing so called “HD” audio on network and won’t be only 4 KHz.

So her argument is digital sounds like crap, and it does — without jumping to the so-called “HD” CODEC on LTE networks. Once you jump to that, it’s better than POTS.

But... it does degrade poorly in bad coverage areas, whether HD or not.

But the assertion that the phone network is only 4 KHz is also significantly busted with the majority of users on cell phones nowadays. It’s a penalty to call a POTS line now. And businesses can use the same or actually better CODECs also called (stupidly) “HD” on a modern SIP based desk phone and throughout their infrastructure but often can’t get upstream carriers to do anything higher.

Just due to the way it’s digitized at the first phone, it’ll generally still sound better than an analog phone on the same circuit however. Especially since most back end systems include noise suppression, DSP based echo cancellation, and proper outbound and inbound levels compared to analog.

The days of being able to say the phone network is all 0-3000 Hz is long gone, though.

If @murphey buys the right phone and calls the right people she’ll hear it. If not, or a carrier with poor coverage, YMMV.

Even out here in no man’s land with a max of 5Mb/sec on Verzion, every call to a Verizon user or any of the carriers that VZ peers with at the SIP level, will be an HD call. Waaaaaay better than POTS. As long as the RF side is solid LTE, even if ungodly slow.

I believe that automatic backups to iCloud are now the default on the iPhone. Before iCloud, automatic backups to your computer via WiFi. Apple may be a big company, but they ain't dumb and they know that every user that has a problem with their phone where they lose everything is going to blame it on them. So, they made it easier to back up than to not back up, so that those users could replace their phone and still have all their stuff.

ICloud backup still doesn’t do a complete backup to this day. Only an encrypted local iTunes backup restores everything to the OS.

I use my Apple Watch as a watch a whole lot more often than I use my iPhone as a phone.

Smartphones are really pocket computers with phones attached. That doesn’t mean in any way, no matter what the use model, that the phone portion has to suck. Not for $1000. And doing the phone correctly isn’t that difficult, Qualcomm is doing all the heavy lifting for everyone anyway.

Yeah, you just have to deal with some creeper at Google looking at your pics. :p

Actually, Google is looking at your pics and analyzing them in an effort to sell you more crap.

Who says you have to store pics in either company’s cloud. Heck there’s competing clouds and even local storage.

iOS won’t be helpful in this regard, you’ll have to launch an app in their non-split screen multitasking OS to allow the app to do its file copy thing, unlike every other computer on the planet, but it’s even doable inside their crippled OS. LOL. You can even run Google’s own photos app on iOS in crippled upload mode if you like.

Android you can just schedule the backup to the local NAS with a scheduler or do whatever you like. Lots of options. In the true background.

The built in stuff is pretty much for tech morons. Which of course, abound.

I believe that automatic backups to iCloud are now the default on the iPhone.

Contacts and Calendar are automatically synced between devices via the cloud. I backup my home computer’s files weekly to avoid loss.

Photos are saved to the cloud via Photos, and further backed up via Flickr and Google Photos. Between the 3 I feel pretty safe there.

And all my music is now streamed, so no need for backup there.

And the entire phone contents are backed up regularly via WiFi.

Worrying about loss of data if a phone is lost or destroyed is a thing of the past, at least for me.

ICloud backup still doesn’t do a complete backup to this day. Only an encrypted local iTunes backup restores everything to the OS.

Why would you back up the OS? If it's screwed up, you're likely in for a trip to the Genius Bar anyway.

Why would you back up the OS? If it's screwed up, you're likely in for a trip to the Genius Bar anyway.

Not the OS. Data the OS uses (passwords, WiFi
Settings, pretty much everything in settings) is not backed up in an iCloud backup.

Well documented on Apple’s website.

Not the OS. Data the OS uses (passwords, WiFi
Settings, pretty much everything in settings) is not backed up in an iCloud backup.

Well documented on Apple’s website.
However, they are stored in an iTunes backup. Weird, eh?

Back