Can plane avionics be upgraded?

Kyrpto

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Kyrpto
Can a Cessna 172 steam gauge get upgraded to a G1000?

Last edited:
End the pain quickly.

Sure! you can buy a 172 today, and throw the same amount of money at it tomorrow and it will be G1000. IF, and only if, there is G1000 STC for the exact plane you purchased.

Now, you can go G500 with fewer restrictions, but no fewer costs.

172 Flippin' isn't on TV because it doesn't exist.

End the pain quickly.

Sure! you can buy a 172 today, and throw the same amount of money at it tomorrow and it will be G1000. IF, and only if, there is G1000 STC for the exact plane you purchased.

Now, you can go G500 with fewer restrictions, but no fewer costs.

172 Flippin' isn't on TV because it doesn't exist.
So basically yes but not worth it?

Worth? What's that mean?

That's a beauty is in the eye of the beholder question.

And you can edit the title of your thread to get it right. It's in thread tools.

Worth? What's that mean?

That's a beauty is in the eye of the beholder question.

And you can edit the title of your thread to get it right. It's in thread tools.
Personally do you think it's worth it?

Install two G5s and that will be appropriate to eliminate the vacuum system on a 172.
Anything else is overkill for a training airplane.

I put a few cross country hours on a 2011 G1000 equipped Cessna 182T, and I thought that was over the top for that model of plane.

Politely... @Kyrpto

Are you asking about throwing 50K into a 50K plane in this thread while asking in another how to find the training area?

Get real.

Politely... @Kyrpto

Are you asking about throwing 50K into a 50K plane in this thread while asking in another how to find the training area?

Get real.
Not sure how that's related but what's wrong with asking about something hypothetical?

And since I always love relating this one:

Kid tells his Dad he doesn't understand Potential vs Realistic

Dad says, Go ask your mom if she'd sleep with Billy Dee Williams for $5,000

Kid comes back and mom said "Hell ya"

Dad says go ask your sister if she'd sleep with Brad Pitt for $5,000.

Kid comes back and sister said "Hell ya"

Dad says, "what did you learn?"

Kid says, "Potentially we're sitting on $10k, but realistically we're livin' with a couple of ho's"

Are you always this ****ed off?

So basically yes but not worth it?
What he’s saying is... No matter how much lipstick and make-up you apply, the airplane is still going to be a 172.

No, it really wouldn’t be worth it.

Why, better options than a g1000

skyview

The question is is it worth it to you. That’s what you have to answer, we can’t answer for you. I learned in a 172SP with G1000 and GFC 700 AP, it’s awesome, likely costs a fortune. I never get the logic of you can put in a G1000 if you own a Bo .... but that’s just me. If you want it, go for it, you only live once. Do it for you not for resale value or what others will pay for it and you will be happy. I myself spend a ton of money on avionics on my archer, which is another training category plane, I do it for me to enjoy and don’t give two poops about what other think or say.

To be fair, I’ve also never heard of a steam panel 172 being ‘upgraded’ to a G1000. There’s a lot more involved than just ripping out some dials and installing screens.

Also how is a G1000 a upgrade over steam?

With some experience it’s really all the same.

I don’t think OP is aware of the many different options in the market right now. OP spend some time on the avionics and upgrade section, you will get a fair idea on what you could do. There are a ton of option, sky view, G3X, aspen ... there is no end

I don’t think OP is aware of the many different options in the market right now. OP spend some time on the avionics and upgrade section, you will get a fair idea on what you could do. There are a ton of option, sky view, G3X, aspen ... there is no end
Will do.

Also how is a G1000 a upgrade over steam?

With some experience it’s really all the same.

Don’t think so. Well yeah, you can fly in the same sky with all steam, but other than that, G1000 is no better than steam gauge is quite a stretch

Don’t think so. Well yeah, you can fly in the same sky with all steam, but other than that, G1000 is no better than steam gauge is quite a stretch

It’s all the same data, that’s like saying this clock

s-l1000.jpg

Has much more data than this one

DSC_0728watered_1024x1024.jpg

It’s all the same data, that’s like saying this clock

s-l1000.jpg

Has much more data than this one

DSC_0728watered_1024x1024.jpg
Which one works best when your vac pump takes a dump? What's easier/cheaper to backup or create redundancy...electric or vac? Which can display engine diagnostics, traffic, weather...blah blah.

I fly a six pack, have never flown glass, and have no burning desire to do so... I like the trad/retro look/feel of my gauges and it's easy to tell trends at a glance, Not saying glass is necessarily better... but it is, without a doubt, different.

Thing is glass doesn’t do that much more.
I’ve flown both, but really it’s all the same data, and if you have the rare skill of a little situational awareness it’s all the same.

Glass has some benefits over steam, and steam over glass. Point is it’s not the difference some make it out to be.

Last I heard, Garmin specifically did not offer the G1000 as a retrofit and would only sell it when delivered in a new 172.

The answer to the title of the thread is Yes. The answer to the original post is No. Can’t upgrade specifically to G1000. Nor would you want to spend that kind of money. I think it’s 6 figure level. Best you can do from Garmin is G500, I believe. Still lots of money. You’d be better off buying G1000 172.

There are other glass options for steam C172s, as others said. Whether it’s worth it is up to you

If
He could've just said that without the personal attacks.
Sorry your feelings were hurt. We here at POA strive for tolerance and inclusivity. Because we here at POA care. Isn’t that right people? But we do prefer questions with some thought.

I don't believe there is an STC to install G1000 into pre-G1000 172. Even if there was it would be so expensive no one would do it. That's originally a G500 market which has turned into G500TXi/G5/Aspen/Dynon markets.

I'd rather have a Dynon with the complete autopilot IMHO.

I’ve flown both, but really it’s all the same data, and if you have the rare skill of a little situational awareness it’s all the same.

Glass has some benefits over steam, and steam over glass. Point is it’s not the difference some make it out to be.
Steam has no benefit over glass that I can see, as you can configure most displays to look like a six pack, but a steam gauge isn't so hot at synthetic vision, for example.

Steam has no benefit over glass that I can see, as you can configure most displays to look like a six pack, but a steam gauge isn't so hot at synthetic vision, for example.

It already looks like a six pack, airspeed on the left tape, AI and HSI middle, VSI and alt on the right tape, and everything has synthetic vision of you know where you are.

Big benefit would be all the $$$ you save and can put into the gas tanks, also glass does mess up from time to time and can be pretty expensive to fix compared to a more or less mx free altimeter or getting a AI overhauled.

Again, I like glass, I fly it a good bit at work and have a glass HSI and soon to be AI in my plane, I just kinda shake my head when someone says glass is waaay better than steam.

Sell your 172 and buy a g1000 172?

Realistically: G3X dual, GNX 375, GNC 255, GTR 225, GFC 500.

Add in engine monitoring option and you have:
- synth vision
- no vacuum system
- full glass panel
- awesome AP
- a big fat bill for $55-65k

No, Garmin will not sell nor is there really any way to upgrade a plane to G1000. There are other Garmin glass panel retrofits (G500,G600,G3X) as well as solutions form Aspen and Avidyne.

If able, put whatever you like in your airplane...its your airplane so it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I will never put anything like a G1000 in my Cherokee because its like putting a $5 shine on a $2 shoe.

No. The only retrofits available for G1000s are in turboprops and jets... And a G1000 retrofit on the King Air series costs north of $350,000. Only an idiot would blow $350K in avionics on a 172 (or even any other piston single), hence the lack of retrofit STCs.

You can take a steam gauge 172 and put a glass panel in it, though... Garmin G3X Touch for example, or G500 TXi.

Which one works best when your vac pump takes a dump? What's easier/cheaper to backup or create redundancy...electric or vac? Which can display engine diagnostics, traffic, weather...blah blah.

I fly a six pack, have never flown glass, and have no burning desire to do so... I like the trad/retro look/feel of my gauges and it's easy to tell trends at a glance, Not saying glass is necessarily better... but it is, without a doubt, different.

The glass definitely works better when the vac pump takes a dump, because it isn't vac-powered. The level of redundancy is also much better in glass: The G1000 has a reversionary mode, plus anything that has it also has backup instruments of some variety.

If you think that, you don't really know how to use the glass.

No. The only retrofits available for G1000s are in turboprops and jets... And a G1000 retrofit on the King Air series costs north of $350,000. Only an idiot would blow $350K in avionics on a 172 (or even any other piston single), hence the lack of retrofit STCs.

You can take a steam gauge 172 and put a glass panel in it, though... Garmin G3X Touch for example, or G500 TXi.

The glass definitely works better when the vac pump takes a dump, because it isn't vac-powered. The level of redundancy is also much better in glass: The G1000 has a reversionary mode, plus anything that has it also has backup instruments of some variety.

If you think that, you don't really know how to use the glass.

I do, I just also know how to work a steam panel and 530

Pal of mine installed an 0360 and a pair of G5's, along with the 530 and the good autopilot and Odin knows what else. My guess is he could have bought two more nice Skyhawks for what he's got in the aircraft. But it's his aircraft, I don't think he'll ever sell it (perhaps if he can't fly it anymore, but even then I have doubts). And whatever he spent, it is a pittance compared to what a new Skyhawk costs. So good for him.

Back