How do you find where the training areas are?

Kyrpto

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
Kyrpto
They don't seem to appear on sectionals. Can I find them in the Chart Supplements?

No, but you can ask some locals what they use. Maybe call the FBO or a flight school. There aren’t officially designated areas, just areas that people use.

You don’t have to use theirs.

Two ways.

1) ask the guys you're renting from
2) listen for ATITAPA

But really, some areas, like So Cal have designated areas on the charts where lots of training activity is happening, and Freqs to be on,

What part of the rock are you on?

Two ways.

1) ask the guys you're renting from
2) listen for ATITAPA

But really, some areas, like So Cal have designated areas on the charts where lots of training activity is happening, and Freqs to be on,

What part of the rock are you on?
Norwood Boston.

When flying straight and level if you see and 172 or a Cherokee going round and round in circles for no parent reason, then suddenly descending and then climbing , you have entered a practice area, get the heck out

Ask the stuck up ATP instructors, they'll let you know how the cookie crumbles.

On my last checkride i went to a practice area i had never been to...the atp guys kept calling this "box" and that "box", of course none of it charted. Then they would "hand the box" over to the next person. Well, the dpe told me to do a maneuver, i did my clearing turns and saw them a couple miles out and few thousand below and did my maneuver. "Hey jim, was that you in the piper outside the box? That plane almost hit me." Dpe rolls his eyes.

In some busier areas formal training blocks do exist. Local flight schools have been helpful to me in the past. If I don’t know the local tribal knowledge I treat it like a trip to the bathroom in the woods and just find a place I deem suitable and go for it.

On my last checkride i went to a practice area i had never been to...the atp guys kept calling this "box" and that "box", of course none of it charted. Then they would "hand the box" over to the next person. Well, the dpe told me to do a maneuver, i did my clearing turns and saw them a couple miles out and few thousand below and did my maneuver. "Hey jim, was that you in the piper outside the box? That plane almost hit me." Dpe rolls his eyes.

Gotta love the future regional pilots lol

A lot of it is local knowledge
Yeah, none of our practice areas are charted. Local ATC knows where they are, but people from out of state wouldn’t have a clue.

That’s funny.

In some busier areas formal training blocks do exist. Local flight schools have been helpful to me in the past. If I don’t know the local tribal knowledge I treat it like a trip to the bathroom in the woods and just find a place I deem suitable and go for it.

Yeah, i get it. My point is, you don't own the airspace regardless of what arbitrary rules your flight school has set up. Nor should you be a drama queen about having to change heading 5 degrees for a maneveuring plane. JMO of course.

I appreciate my airport's practice area, everyone uses see and avoid, communicates and works together. None of the "this is my sandbox, dont come in it."

Yeah, i get it. My point is, you don't own the airspace regardless of what arbitrary rules your flight school has set up. Nor should you be a drama queen about having to change heading 5 degrees for a maneveuring plane. JMO of course.

I appreciate my airport's practice area, everyone uses see and avoid, communicates and works together. None of the "this is my sandbox, dont come in it."
I understood all that... that’s why it was funny...

They don't seem to appear on sectionals. Can I find them in the Chart Supplements?

There are some on Sectionals and some in Chart Supplements. There aren’t any in the Northeast Supplement that I saw. You find them in Section 3 Notices under Special Notices.

Ask around, find out where they are, then go somewhere else, especially on nice VFR weekends.

A controller once described a practice area to me as resembling the Battle of Britain on his scope.

Ask around, find out where they are, then go somewhere else, especially on nice VFR weekends.

A controller once described a practice area to me as resembling the Battle of Britain on his scope.

Those are the types that tend get Notes on the Charts and Notices in the Chart Supplement. But I'm sure there are many busy ones that don't. Blood being spilled is what leads to them getting charted

Last edited:
Ask around for the area your interested in ,at Norwood you have two flight schools you can ask.

Yeah, none of our practice areas are charted. Local ATC knows where they are, but people from out of state wouldn’t have a clue.
this is a problem....specially with airspace constraints and TFRs...it can create pinch points or bottle necks in my area.

But, with ADS-B in you can kinda see what's going on. Caution, the training planes don't always have in....so they may not "see" you.

Back