AOPA forums closing.....

PaulS

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
PaulS
I say BS for the reason.....

From the AOPA forum:

*** AOPA Forums Closure Notice *** Attention all forum users: During our 2019 cyber security audit, it was determined that this user forum is no longer safe from cyber security vulnerabilities. After considerable research and discussion, it has been determined that the AOPA Forums capabilities have been supplanted by the AOPA Hangar and other social media platforms. As such, AOPA has decided, in the best interest of our member's cyber safety, to shutdown these user forums permanently on October 14, 2019. We hope that you will utilize AOPA?s other platforms to continue the conversations. Please visit the AOPA Hangar at https://hangar.aopa.org and AOPA's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AOPApilots/

Deja vu all over again! Isn't it one of AOPA's previous forum shutdowns the reason for PoA's existence?

Yep. That's how I remember it. I thought they were already shut down circa 2005.

Just saw that and came to post!

Wonder if "poadeleted20" will show up back here...

The AOPA forum site is near dead after they moved a lot of subscribers to the new clumsy Hangar site.

Not sure how the new site is more secure. I clicked on the link and I can see the messages, and if I click on the member I can see member info, even though I'm not logged in.

I couldn't do that on the old AOPA forum.

I say BS for the reason.....

From the AOPA forum:

*** AOPA Forums Closure Notice *** Attention all forum users: During our 2019 cyber security audit, it was determined that this user forum is no longer safe from cyber security vulnerabilities. After considerable research and discussion, it has been determined that the AOPA Forums capabilities have been supplanted by the AOPA Hangar and other social media platforms. As such, AOPA has decided, in the best interest of our member's cyber safety, to shutdown these user forums permanently on October 14, 2019. We hope that you will utilize AOPA?s other platforms to continue the conversations. Please visit the AOPA Hangar at https://hangar.aopa.org and AOPA's Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/AOPApilots/
How do you know this message wasn't a hack on AOPA's forum? ~~~

Well, it's no wonder they got hacked. They are running a version of the forum software from 2009. vB3 hasn't been supported with security updates for years. Even vB4 (which was what POA was running prior to the XenForo upgrade) was better supported but vb5 has been out for over three years now as well.

This is sort of like saying you're getting rid of your PCs because Windows 7 has security flaws.

The stupid thing is I offered to help them upgrade. Their sole modification to the forum (other than basic styling) was to put in the cookie check to see if you have an active AOPA membership from their main page. Trivial to move over. I even told them it would be trivial to make tapatalk work in their scheme back when lots of people were asking for it. I never even got the dignity of a "no thanks" response.

Jesse on the other hand spent several hours relaying to me how he accomplished the XF upgrade to this site (since I was making a similar jump on another site).

When the forums go, so will my AOPA membership. They have been less and less valuable to me as time goes on.

What are some examples of how the security vulnerabilities can affect users?

The hangar site needs a little work. Hopefully they will progress to a better site.

Probably not.

What I suggest is for those of us not happy with this move to drop a line to whichever editor at AOPA is overseeing this and voice our displeasure.

Holy ****bags, a ScottM sighting.

I was wondering what flight bag I should get?

Does anyone have a good idea about which headset is the best?

Lastly, what airplane should I buy?

Surely there should be some sort of consensus by now.

You forgot:

I'm thinking of buying a plane and leasing it back to a flight school. I'm thinking I could come out ahead. Is this a good idea?

Back