Ercoupe crash at Ak-Chin (A39) near Casa Grande, AZ 9/10/19

PeterNSteinmetz

Ejection Handle Pulled
Display Name

Display name:
PeterNSteinmetz
Wow. Looks like the Ercoupe they used for training. Initial reports are 2 occupants, both in hospital and alive.

5d77d1dbc70ab.image.jpg

https://www.azfamily.com/video/raw-...deo_886c21c2-0dc5-5fb4-a6e7-a195e583c040.html

Now reported as shortly after takeoff and with instructor and student on board.

To me, after another look at the pictures, it appears the plane hit may have the roof first then punched out the wall as if it was heading away from the runway.

They got *really* lucky with the attitude they hit that building at. It's a fast build steel structure I think, look at the video and you can see they came straight down between the rafters/joists. A foot or two forward or back and they would have hit very solid steel framing. Instead they hit the cladding; if I remember correctly (my father in law has a building like that) there is little or no structure between the metal studs, and they are spaced about 10 feet apart.

They got *really* lucky with the attitude they hit that building at. It's a fast build steel structure I think, look at the video and you can see they came straight down between the rafters/joists. A foot or two forward or back and they would have hit very solid steel framing. Instead they hit the cladding; if I remember correctly (my father in law has a building like that) there is little or no structure between the metal studs, and they are spaced about 10 feet apart.

Yes, very fortunate! I was thinking if it were a concrete tilt-up or something, the outcome might've been very different.

Back