Medical requirement for glider add-on to SEL

Vf6cruiser

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Vf6cruiser
Lapsed class 3 over 10 years so no basic med....just talked to glider CFI and he is under the impression that a glider rating would add on to my power license and some sort of medical blessing would be required before a glider rating. What says the collective........

Lapsed class 3 over 10 years so no basic med....just talked to glider CFI and he is under the impression that a glider rating would add on to my power license and some sort of medical blessing would be required before a glider rating. What says the collective........
Agree with @Clip4 ... also, for Basic Med you only need a valid medical since July 2006... it's not a rolling 10 year look back.

No medical is required for gliders. In addition unlike with sport pilot you can fly even if you failed your last medical.

No medical was what I thought also thanks for replies.....

Agree with @Clip4 ... also, for Basic Med you only need a valid medical since July 2006... it's not a rolling 10 year look back.

And that’s based on the expiration date, not the exam date, so your last flight physical could have been in 2002 or 2004 depending on your age back then.

You will need a current flight review in an aircraft that you are currently rated in before you can solo the glider.

And that’s based on the expiration date, not the exam date, so your last flight physical could have been in 2002 or 2004 depending on your age back then.
July 1 2003 is the earliest theoretical date for a medical that is useable for BasicMed.

You will need a current flight review in an aircraft that you are currently rated in before you can solo the glider.
Why? If I only wanted to fly a glider, for example, I could solo it when my instructor signed off. Why should the fact that I have ASEL rating matter?

Why? If I only wanted to fly a glider, for example, I could solo it when my instructor signed off. Why should the fact that I have ASEL rating matter?
Because since you already have an ASEL rating you do not get an endorsement to solo like a student pilot does, you get an endorsement to act as PIC in an additional category/class. To act as PIC you must have a current flight review. The FAA lawyers put it in this interpretation: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_or.../2015/Beard - (2015) Legal Interpretation.pdf

Because since you already have an ASEL rating you do not get an endorsement to solo like a student pilot does, you get an endorsement to act as PIC in an additional category/class. To act as PIC you must have a current flight review. The FAA lawyers put it in this interpretation: https://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/agc/practice_areas/regulations/interpretations/Data/interps/2015/Beard - (2015) Legal Interpretation.pdf

Would the glider training including dual satisfy the BFR requirement?

Would the glider training including dual satisfy the BFR requirement?
No because a Flight Review is required to be done in an aircraft that the pilot is already rated in.

I interpret FAR Section 61.56 differently.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/14/61.56
You are correct, if he was still current then when he passed his glider checkride it would reset the clock for his flight review. But he needs to be current to solo and he has to solo before he can take the checkride. The first sentence you quoted says that it has to be done in the period specified in (c), i.e. since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command.

You are correct, if he was still current then when he passed his glider checkride it would reset the clock for his flight review. But he needs to be current to solo and he has to solo before he can take the checkride. The first sentence you quoted says that it has to be done in the period specified in (c), i.e. since the beginning of the 24th calendar month before the month in which that pilot acts as pilot in command.
I thought I deleted it because I didn't think that (my) reply was correct, after reviewing it. :dunno:

I believe, though, that a new rating qualifies for WINGS credit, and completing a WINGS phase counts as a BFR.
A successful checkride for a new rating obviates the need for a flight review. No need for Wings subterfuge.

Wheels said:
. But he needs to be current to solo and he has to solo before he can take the checkride.
There's no "currency" requirement to solo. He does need a flight review to be PIC, including solo. While it's not a strict requirement, he needs to be able to meet the requirements to be PIC while taking a checkride. The FAA strongly discourages examiners from being the PIC during rides.

So it sounds like a BFR is needed and then get the glider done........not too bad

July 1 2003 is the earliest theoretical date for a medical that is useable for BasicMed.
IIRC the act was passed into law July 15, 2016 . Back then no third class was good for 5 years....so the date of issuance ahs to be on or after July 1, 2004.....

IIRC the act was passed into law July 15, 2016 . Back then no third class was good for 5 years....so the date of issuance ahs to be on or after July 1, 2004.....
Not five years, but three year duration came into existance somewhere in the late 90's. I remember I got exactly one 3-year medical duration before I turned 40 in December 1999.

Wait... are you sure? I believe back then for under 40, the 3rd class was good for 36 months... so July 1, 2003 might be correct?

Wait... are you sure? I believe back then for under 40, the 3rd class was good for 36 months... so July 1, 2003 might be correct?

The rules in effect 2004 until 2008 were for only 36 months for 3rd class under 40 years old.

Nope...

Third class medicals for airmen under 40 were good for 36 months, thus a medical issued 7/1/2003 would expire 7/31/2006, thus qualifying for BasicMed since the airmen had a valid medical on 7/15/2006.

I don’t recall 3rds ever being good for 3 years. During this period however, Student pilot carts issued by AMEs were good for 3 years. There was a whole lotta confusion about that....

I don’t recall 3rds ever being good for 3 years. During this period however, Student pilot carts issued by AMEs were good for 3 years. There was a whole lotta confusion about that....

In 1997, this was how 61.23 read:

(3) A third-class medical certificate for operations requiring a recreational pilot certificate, a private pilot certificate, a flight instructor certificate (when acting as pilot in command or a required crewmember in operations other than glider or balloon), or a student pilot certificate issued— (i) Before September 16, 1996, expires at the end of the 24th month after the month of the date of examination shown on the certificate; or (ii) On or after September 16, 1996, expires at the end of: (A) The 36th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has not reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of examination; or (B) The 24th month after the month of the date of the examination shown on the certificate if the person has reached his or her 40th birthday on or before the date of examination.

So it appears the regulation changed September 16, 1996. Three years for those under 40 until it was upped again to five years in 2016.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back