Fatal Crash near Henderson, NV

Looks like a door popped open on takeoff and distracted the pilot. Should've just gone around and landed.

Looks like a door popped open on takeoff and distracted the pilot. Should've just gone around and landed.
Is that the latest? Last thing I read was said to be a mechanic issue and tried to turn back.

Is that the latest? Last thing I read was said to be a mechanic issue and tried to turn back.

From News10.com:

“Audio obtained via FlightAware.com indicates that a door came open on the plane before it crashed. That information has not been confirmed.”

From News10.com:

“Audio obtained via FlightAware.com indicates that a door came open on the plane before it crashed. That information has not been confirmed.”
Roger. That is unfortunate...

From News10.com:

If true, that is a real pity and unnecessary crash.

Five people in a Sierra and enough fuel to fly to San Diego?

We'll see what the investigation reveals about their takeoff performance.

Four on board, fifth was Good Samaritan on the ground helping them and was hurt.

But your point is still valid.

A Sierra owner once told me that the back row is for a box of Kleenex only.

4 adults, full fuel, 80F, 2000 foot field elevation is pushing a Sierra, IMHO. An open door should be a non event. Slip the plane and close the door.

Prayers for family and friends

Last edited:
Could it have been a stall spin, caused by the open door distraction?

A Sierra owner once told me that the back row is for a box of Kleenex only.

I expect that owner was referring to the #5 & 6 "jump" seats that could be ordered as an option from Beech.
Certainly the four standard seats in the Sierra are plenty roomy - you're far less cramped than a Bonanza. And from 1971 on there were two passenger doors on every Sierra.

I expect that owner was referring to the #5 & 6 "jump" seats that could be ordered as an option from Beech.
Certainly the four standard seats in the Sierra are plenty roomy - you're far less cramped than a Bonanza. And from 1971 on there were two passenger doors on every Sierra.
I took the post to mean performance limited not space limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: AGL
More than 40 years ago, we had a door pop open on a Cherokee when I was first taking lessons. The instructor yelled across (no headsets!), "Hey, it happens all the time, very hard to close in flight", so we did so on a stop-n-go (didn't even try in the air.) When I was first flying Cessnas, the instructor told me to open the door, and he opened his, and we happily steered the plane with the doors (and high-wing Cessna doors are relatively easy to close in flight.)
Unless a door departs the aircraft, or protrudes so far into the airstream as to cause a safety-of-flight issue, I certainly see no great emergency. Yet it happens year after year (especially in Bonanzas, or at least I remember it that way.)

I had the air stair drop open on rotation in a Chieftain once. The plane made a big yaw to the left. My first thought was...''what just hit me.??''

A lot of dust blowing round in the wind, a lot more louder inside, but I just kept it flying and fell into the pattern to land. A thorough inspection by the mechanic and then back in the air.

There were no passengers on board but I was at MGW with supplies for the village store.

Back