What TV doesn't portray reality?

saracelica

Pattern Altitude
Display Name

Display name:
saracelica
Watching suits. (My new favorite show) one of the characters had 72 hours to report to White collar prison.

Does that really happen? Thought you go yo court and get taken away.

Furthermore, apparently you can work on that show, be divorced, and then in your second marriage you can marry a prince and become royalty. That’s another reality.

*Edited to add that I’ve never seen the show. Not even a second of it. And that, ladies and gentlemen, is another reality.

Was hoping not to discuss the show itself. Just was referencing where I heard it.

Suits was one of those shows that plays on the TV in the mornings at the gym with no volume. Without the benefit of audio, you wouldn't have a single clue as to what these people do for a living. Other than a fat guy with an anger management problem, all they do is wear suits, walk around indoors, and talk. That's it. They could be CPA's, investment brokers, corporate executives, insurance underwriters... I guess they are attorneys based on Google.

NCIS, all three series. Somewhat entertaining, but complete total BS. Having grown up in a Navy environment, my recollection of the real NCIS was that they wore either suits or uniforms, didn't carry guns, and rarely ventured off base.

I actually prefer to watch the true crime documentaries. Some of the true stories are so crazy you would find them hard to believe if they were fictional.

Happens even with blue-collar prisons. Often depends on the court. I've seen court where they allow people a short time to get their affairs in order before checking in. I've seen others where they lock you up immediately.

The first season or Suits was a bit entertaining, but then they just got lazy, kept he same formula for each episode and changed the circumstances/players involved. It got really predictable so I lost interest. The also have the most awkward writers who try to insert the swear word “godda*n” in the strangest places. It’s like having that childhood friend who was trying to curse to sound cool, but couldn’t quite string together an appropriate selection, lol.

Thinking about it, think it’s one part ego one part control, and add a dash of lazy.

I mean these studios have the money to hire a consultant or even find a intern, some have them, just their default is their version of reality is better, even when real life would be better. This doesn’t just apply to suits, I’m talking all sorts of TV shows and even the news media these days.

It’s really odd IMO

Pretty common with the feds. Often defendants are on an ankle monitor from their pre-trial release and the day they have to present to BOP depends on appeals deadlines. It's not restricted by length of sentence or violent/non-violent either.

Janes331, they could hire a consultant but they choose to dwell in ignorance especially when it comes to aviation. The press is even worse!

The better 7/8's (wife) was a medical and business reporter for more than 30 years. She holds a private with instrument rating. When there was an aviation story one of her colleagues would call with questions. When Jeanie would reach out to other reporters, offering to explain things, they were never interested. Their reasons were: no one cares about whether the facts are correct, deadline pressure trumps all other concerns so the hell with getting it right just get it out first, or no one really understands this stuff so why make any effort. Witness the constant stupidity of:
1-CB radio procedures

2-Lack of consistency as to what type of airplane is being flown. Exterior shot of say B-737 followed by cockpit shot of something with 4 PCLs

3-If GA is part of the script we're all a bunch of yahoos and the cause of something bad.

4-All ATC is the control tower! Gee what about clearance delivery, ground, tower, approach/departure, and enroute? Nah it's all just THE TOWER.

5-Most visuals of radar and other displays or instruments are laughably bad to are you kidding me. A cockpit shot of a rope start steam gauge airplane then a cockpit shot of supposedly the same airplane but all glass.

Yeah I could totally pick Star Wars apart completely. There is no way a Wookie could obtain a medical to serve as a required crew member.

Watching suits. (My new favorite show) one of the characters had 72 hours to report to White collar prison.

Does that really happen? Thought you go yo court and get taken away.
A friend of mine got a DUI several years ago. He needed to serve 1 day. Daylight savings was like 2 months away so he picked that day and only had to do 23hrs :)

A friend of mine got a DUI several years ago. He needed to serve 1 day. Daylight savings was like 2 months away so he picked that day and only had to do 23hrs :)

Not to derail the thread, but this is why our system is so messed up today...rather than "lock him up" for a day...make those type of sentences serve 100 hours of community service somehow like picking up trash or something else that adds value to society as a whole.

...darn right I am in favor of slave labor as a consequence to repay your debt to society!

But yeah, not all sentences are verdict to immediate jail cell. Those are the non violent ones that should have alternate sentences IMO.

Shawn, DUI/DWI is treated as a joke in CO! Every week there is a story about someone with numerous prior convictions injuring or killing people only to receive probation. Although there was a recent case where some miscreant multiple offender was sentenced to 20 years...no doubt will be overturned on appeal or with the numerous shennanigans built into the court system he'll maybe serve 90 days.

I lost two friends to drunk drivers. The first killed himself and two other people because he was driving drunk The second was taking his hugely pregnant with their 2nd child wife to the doc. Fortunately, they caught the sob who was so drunk he told the cops he thought he hit a dog. DUI/DWI is one of the few things for which there is NO acceptable excuse. But what if my buddy gets hurt and I'm the only one who can drive even though I'm drunk? Too bad but why were both of you drinking?

Our system of jurisprudence is a farce. It has 0 to do with fairness or justice. As a friend described his divorce, Santa Claus is alive and well in courtroom XXX! Look at the tenants of our system. It places greater value on concepts such as is something routine and customary than is it fair. Remember, it wasn't all that long ago when it was reasonable and customary to treat minorities, women, and children as chattel to be bought, sold, or treated however the head of house deemed appropriate.

Consider too the laudable but sometimes it backfires principle of accused rights. What happened to the idea of protecting the innocent victim? Oh, you get crucified because we have to protect the accused.

Just my opinion based on my few encounters (divorce and having to sue 2 people who rear ended me) with the system

I certainly did not mean to imply DUIs should get community service...I have zero tolerance for those idiots and should be a lifetime suspension of drivers license IMO...was speaking in more general terms about the absurd sentencing structure that exist today for non violent offenders and alternate sentencing options that add value to society vs just "lock them up" which is another drain on said society.

Janes331, they could hire a consultant but they choose to dwell in ignorance especially when it comes to aviation. The press is even worse!

I've had quite enough of the experts! Everyone knows a small plane crashes because they didn't file a flight plan! :eek::D You don't need to be an expert to know that!

I've had quite enough of the experts! Everyone knows a small plane crashes because they didn't file a flight plan! :eek::D You don't need to be an expert to know that!

How silly of me, of course that's it plus they were not talking to the tower...doh!:eek:

What TV show portrays reality?

Jersey Shore. Pretty good representation of where I grew up. People don’t believe me until they spend time in central Jersey. The show really isn’t much of an exaggeration.

Jersey Shore. Pretty good representation of where I grew up. People don’t believe me until they spend time in central Jersey. The show really isn’t much of an exaggeration.

Explains a lot about why that type of television has become so pervasive. I have some really good friends (former college roommates) who spent a good portion of their childhood in the Buffalo, NY and NJ areas. They loved getting autographs from celebrities and seeing popular figures out and about. I honestly couldn't understand why anyone would waste their time getting someone's autograph or being starstruck. I could be eating dinner next to a major movie star and wouldn't likely notice, or care to talk with them if I did notice them. Different priorities/upbringing I suppose.

Back