Wile E Coyote on the airport (with pics)

RyanShort1

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
RyanShort1
So today my photo crew got to witness a fun little minor airport drama. We often stop at Odessa Schlemeyer for fuel on a regular photo mission route. Now West Texas has all kinds of critters. I've run over a rattler with a Cardinal right there at Schlemeyer before, and I've caught (and released) Horny Toads (my Australian friend had never seen one before - very fun) and seen prairie dogs and coyotes at (relatively) neighboring airports.

It all started as we taxied out for Runway 29 - a VERY long taxi from the Wildcatter FBO (Great folks, BTW). We were getting ready to shoot some photos of a shopping center along with some other targets and were following a Cirrus on the way to 29 when a Bonanza at the north end of the field mentioned a pack of 4 coyotes on or near the runway at the approach end of 16. That's not really too big of a deal if you're taking off of 29, but still worth noting.

RED_8462.JPG

As we continued taxiing a pipeline patrol Citabria called in and the Bonanza repeated the coyote warning and then a DPS helicopter that was operating nearby heard that and called inbound to investigate. The DPS helicopter was making good radio calls and chased off the three coyotes he spotted near 16 (probably got some great FLIR practice out of that) and the Cirrus in front of us took off. We called line up and wait and the Cirrus mentioned seeing a coyote too. As we rolled down the runway - there the coyote was pretty close to the right side of the runway basically right at the 1000 foot marker and on the move so we let the Bonanza behind us that had called out the other coyotes about it. The Citabria was still inbound, and the DPS helicopter called that he'd go see if he could run him off.

Well, the Citabria beat the DPS helicopter to the area (everybody was actually being pretty safe and the radio work by all was above average) but the coyote decided that the runway was it's area and started sauntering towards the centerline right in front of the Citabria, which thankfully held off long enough to pass over it safely. That didn't even seem to scare the coyote!

RED_8457.JPG

RED_8459.JPG
RED_8464.JPG RED_8465.JPG RED_8467.JPG
Well, the cavalry whomped in and tried to scare the coyote but he said it looked didn't look like it was afraid of any evil and possibly rabid, but finally got him to move. All in all, it was kind of cool to watch.
RED_8471.JPG
RED_8478.JPG RED_8490.JPG

All in all it was a good reminder to be on the lookout for wildlife and to be aware that they may not act in their own best interests - or yours.

Had a coyote mess with me on my PPL checkride. He was hanging out on the runup pad. Didn’t move at first but an RPM increase got him sauntering back into the corn. DPE said that was a first for him on a checkride.

We had a coyote that lived on the far edge of the runway in WV. Generally stayed off the runway--not so the deer in the evening!

DPS should have used him for target practice. Coyote are always in season, and there's no limit (at least here; wild hogs, too).

I don’t see the ACME rocket skates...

Maybe the coyote was gonna test his new aero machine out.

E957980B-D0E5-4E3A-BAF3-8FFE772E662A.gif

I'm surprised they didn't try to shoot it, especially if they were concerned about it being rabid. Coyotes are normally pretty easy to scare off. Being out in the boonies we have a number of them. Normally if one gets to close to the house I just go outside and yell "**** OFF!!!" and they turn around and run.

There is a "resident" coyote near the departure end of runway 29 at 06C. He hides in the tall grass east of the runway, but comes out often to take the sun and watch the traffic this time of the year.

When I was a student pilot there was a den of foxes between the two runways. Once while waiting to take off, I saw a red fox trotting towards me carrying a rabbit. The fox came up in the shade of the wing, dropped the rabbit and layed down apparently enjoying the breeze off the fan.She was about a foot from the wheel. She stayed there until I added power to taxi out on the runway. As soon as I added power she grabbed the rabbit and continued on her way unconcerned with the activities going on around her.

Back when there was only 2 hotels in Cabo San Lucas, there was a runway downtown. We had to make low passes over the runway to get rid of the cows!

ONZ Grosse Ile Mi
sq8sx7awPF6z7LLCsz2KHLZChVe1YwpdpGTC_8xU9MO96r1jeOO2_yfupW13lDNq23Yo-WStj1JZZoJP_osWp_e7n5bxnu4J6DMdZL6pCZGPdMXTq1PNg7HU3zsxF1sBFYDhtuZwtFQ66RSIpAbEAJyBaJBiGsT70N7wbq5FRV7OazdQQncnu65z8i8xyXUhaBwO0Ez-3a9p8BNy56suU6KDzrt8L2MPAKJeGXLLY0BDaLlFJ-Yc0r-trXJQrakzvk3nUdskBVKlasElV3fsEcVhmallmgv6jHfpoVTFjDdYaWTUmhXBTBd4qNKMw33zyGzoj9YpHqbDpoquoxVbSkAuuOA4JHdG3kHmSCV5ZlvUlOA8JveYw1oUYJltNB-kgXkaUGIioN_7d1dh4kDlZnvK-MldHxv7BQCrprYhRqlRo_vF898MeLtbjSgA32LnVBOiD-IRYicWGFWagRo7YA41yJxFwpeVlRY3PARgwSWtmtANrpMAHbze-fgOnw2aj3DX1qKf9AHe-WvqBkQPC27_ThUUuhEXUt29hG09IuYtlL70WC5OJluBHmR0V5zsMdJ5g2_CRzAoPle7jNiQ7prFyyR9fD0-QrwuSc15jB48rSceksqb0ZAsLXWf90LQ3Gb3W6IEG5EkJ8lX-K-CrJjANm_jbkcNW48DyGKOB_FLWQXREHCQ6tVPjCytRkeYcmj0QKSY4QWRdtWUYw=w1350-h938-no

We have a herd of deer bout 10-12 at our untowered homedrome. Have nice fences but they got right over them. At night if one of us is coming in, one of us will run up and make two passes on the runway at night to clear the deer. There has never been a strike here but a couple of close calls. If I am coming in at night I’ll make a low pass loudly and circle to land as it freaks me out how many there can be hanging out at the vasi like it’s a club!!

Elk at Astoria, Oregon:

2594812D-E97D-4F15-8BB1-8DED0B1670E4.jpeg

About a year after this photo, a Lear 36 on a night takeoff roll hit one of them. Everyone (except the elk) got out ok, but the airplane was destroyed in the ensuing fire.

The runway hazard I saw once at Odessa Schlemeyer was tumbleweeds. Actually I didn’t even think of them as hazards until the FBO dispatched a crew with a small truck to clear them.

I wonder how much harm a tumbleweed can do. Compared to an animal, it is vastly softer and lighter, but maybe it could clog an engine or retractable gear?

'Yotes are more common than you might think, I've even seen them at Kennedy.

I only have to look out the back door to see 'em. I've only seen deer and turkey on a runway, however.

Hit a coyote during the landing roll out at my airport a couple of years ago. It strolled onto the runway as I was touching down, got to the middle and then turned and tried to outrun the Aztec right down the centreline. I ran over it with the nosewheel, missing it with both props. Not a spec on the airplane. Gear swing the next day was fine.

Hit a coyote during the landing roll out at my airport a couple of years ago. It strolled onto the runway as I was touching down, got to the middle and then turned and tried to outrun the Aztec right down the centreline. I ran over it with the nosewheel, missing it with both props. Not a spec on the airplane. Gear swing the next day was fine.
You should name your plane “Roadrunner” :D

Choot em

You should ask your airport manager about a nuisance permit.

If they thought it was rabid they really shoukd have put it down

SoCal weirdness from my youth - wild/stray dogs were eating the fabric off aircraft at Hemt-Ryan, sailplanes, I think, some years after my first solo there.

Also, when stationed at Norton AFB in San Bernardino, you could walk right up behind the ground hogs in the unpaved spaces around tarmac and taxiways - they stone deaf from the C-141s - the war was on, and opearations were constant.

Haven't seen any coyotes at OLM, but I did hit a resident bird 18 years ago when he zigged when he should have zagged. Got him with the prop. No damage to the plane (took off shortly thereafter and soloed for the first time) but it ruined that bird's day.

Another pair this year, don't even move until you are right by them. The one on the far left didn't even stand up until I passed. Bummer, I love walking the dog down this way but no more this fall.
VideoCapture_20190907-105927.jpg

Use extreme caution when those are around. Those stupid animals are enough to cause tens of thousands in damage in a New York minute.

Watched an airport ops truck with a guy wielding a shotgun trying to get a coyote once.

Le t me know if you need someone with a 22-250.

The runway hazard I saw once at Odessa Schlemeyer was tumbleweeds. Actually I didn’t even think of them as hazards until the FBO dispatched a crew with a small truck to clear them.

I wonder how much harm a tumbleweed can do. Compared to an animal, it is vastly softer and lighter, but maybe it could clog an engine or retractable gear?

In the center of those things is the stalk that all those tiny branches connect to. Wonder how big the stalk on this one is?
ngm-2013-tumbleweed-workers-cook-jenshel.jpg

Back