Don’t think he will get his asking price...

denverpilot

Tied Down
Display Name

Display name:
DenverPilot
LOL. Seen on FB...

0a957d8e1c0a1f450555a53a8dd16f16.jpg

Wasn't there some legislation within the last year or so that required and funded updating and bringing LORAN back to life?

Wasn't there some legislation within the last year or so that required and funded updating and bringing LORAN back to life?
Yes but not a compatible system to the old one.

Those were great units. $500 when new. Had one in a Mooney and it worked flawlessly on the first Cayman Caravan from Key West to Grand Cayman. The pilot of the Bonanza that landed before me was complaining that his 3K M1 Northstar Loran only worked intermittently. Loran should not have been decommissioned as it was dirt cheap to maintain the few transmit stations and would have made a great back up to GPS.

I like that one alternate English translation for "Rarität" is "Curiousity" :D I think the shoe fits.

My plane had Loran at one point, but before I owned it. Soon my ADF will be going the way of the Loran.

Holy crap! I remember those. Practically useless for mountain SAR. We used USGS quad maps, a compass and a watch for most of our work.

I still have mine! It's an 8001 though... The marine version.

I just saw one on eBay for $7.95.

I personally think putting all our eggs in one fragile basket for navigation is really quite stupid. Give me $5K worth of equipment and an aircraft with a service ceiling above FL350 and I could sterilize an area about the size of Iowa for GPS. You couldn't touch loran with $5M of equipment and a 747.

Jim

I personally think putting all our eggs in one fragile basket for navigation is really quite stupid. Give me $5K worth of equipment and an aircraft with a service ceiling above FL350 and I could sterilize an area about the size of Iowa for GPS. You couldn't touch loran with $5M of equipment and a 747.

Jim

And, what, you need a dozen stations for a CONUS LORAN network compared to 900 VORs? I had Apollo LORAN systems in both my AA1A and AA5 before GPS became prevalent in aviation. Those boxes worked great! The Seneca Falls military depot housed a master station, near my home base. When you flew over the master, the geometric solution blew up for a few miles. The "cone of craziness."

Back