Stratus/Stratux question

This is a wild guess, but I think I read that the newest build of Stratux reconfigured the wifi address to 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.10.1 as previously. Does the "stratux" wifi network show up on your tab/phone? If so, try both of those ip addresses in your browser and see if one works. Assuming you see the steady red/blinking green/momentarily running fan indications on your stratux/Pi board upon startup, yes?

This is a wild guess, but I think I read that the newest build of Stratux reconfigured the wifi address to 192.168.1.1 instead of 192.168.10.1 as previously. Does the "stratux" wifi network show up on your tab/phone? If so, try both of those ip addresses in your browser and see if one works. Assuming you see the steady red/blinking green/momentarily running fan indications on your stratux/Pi board upon startup, yes?
v 1.5b2 stratux page comes up on 192.168.10.1
lots of 1090 signals, zero UAT signals

WingX sees 1090 traffic, no UAT which makes sense, since I’m sitting in the living room.
FF sees same, which again makes sense.
Whoops, WingX lost traffic. Now it’s back.

Takes much longer to acquire traffic than v1.2

Still don’t like how warm the Nooelec SDRs get. Because they’re outside the RPi case at the end of a 1meter USB cable, there’s no additional fan for cooling.

(yes, I have 2 ipads to make the testing and dignosis easier)

OK.. time for two more stupid guesses, both probably wrong, but what the heck. I had issues with a new one I built as a thank you for my A&P, and the problem was a faulty Pi 3b+ board. I sent it back and ordered the regular Pi3b and all was well. I think the b+ has higher speed networking and faster wifi protocols built in, but takes a bit more power. Was running stratux 1.4 on mine w/out any issues, and tried swapping the card w/ v1.5b2 into my old stratux build and it worked fine; my v1.4 card wouldn't work on the new build either. Same AHRS and GPYes chips.. only difference between the builds was I used the newer low power SDR in the new one. Both builds had internal GPS and radios.. only things external were the two screw on flexible antennae and power supply battery.

Guesses..
1. What Pi are you using? Doesn't make sense if it runs v1.2 fine and partially runs v1.5b2, but who knows. Have you tried v1.4r4?
2. Is your power supply up to the task? 2.5A... or less?

Next question....orientation of the antenna...horizontal or vertical?

Antennas do need to be vertical (home made remote mount in pics)..I have my Stratux remote mounted also and powered through cig lighter.
IMG_6515.JPG IMG_6516.JPG IMG_6517.JPG

Having experience with both stratus and. Stratux, I fully expect that you could throw it in the hat rack or almost anywhere and it would work fine if powered.

It would be very easy to prove or disprove my statement by just throwing it in and fly.

I’m having problems with the AHRS part of my Stratux. Everything works fine, except the synthetic vision won’t stay calibrated. I’ve calibrated it through the settings and it shows straight and level, but then once I load ForeFlight and it looks like I’m in a diving spiral. Bad AHRS chip? Any other ideas?

I’m having problems with the AHRS part of my Stratux. Everything works fine, except the synthetic vision won’t stay calibrated. I’ve calibrated it through the settings and it shows straight and level, but then once I load ForeFlight and it looks like I’m in a diving spiral. Bad AHRS chip? Any other ideas?

If you open the Stratux wifi interface page, 192.68.10.1, and have gone through both the orientation setup, wherein you point the part of the the Stratux that would normally face the front of the airplane towards the sky then click on that button, followed by the calibrate straight and level procedure, and it looks fine on the Stratux page, the the fault lies not with the AHRS chip. My guess is that you have skipped the orientation calibration procedure, and have only calibrated the straight and level portion. If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll post screen shots....or read the Stratux docs more carefully if you haven't already.

Having experience with both stratus and. Stratux, I fully expect that you could throw it in the hat rack or almost anywhere and it would work fine if powered.

It would be very easy to prove or disprove my statement by just throwing it in and fly.

I inadvertently tested your theory a few weeks ago. While I was flying a short xc (51.5nm.... can't get much shorter), the suction cup mount I use to keep it in a rear window decided that it hated turbulence and dumped the Stratux on the floor in the back seat area. My AHRS warning started screeching, but never lost GPS or adsb for the remainder of the trip. No remote antennae... just the two standard screw-on short ones.

If you open the Stratux wifi interface page, 192.68.10.1, and have gone through both the orientation setup, wherein you point the part of the the Stratux that would normally face the front of the airplane towards the sky then click on that button, followed by the calibrate straight and level procedure, and it looks fine on the Stratux page, the the fault lies not with the AHRS chip. My guess is that you have skipped the orientation calibration procedure, and have only calibrated the straight and level portion. If that doesn't make sense, let me know and I'll post screen shots....or read the Stratux docs more carefully if you haven't already.
You might be right. I only did one step. I’ll have to try that method next time in the plane. Thanks

I power my Stratux through the lighter outlet. Extension cable to the baggage area. I place the Stratux on top of my combination step-stool and chock/oil/funnel container (just a 5 gallon bucket with lid), under the rear window. Some of that foam tool drawer padding and it stays put.

I suppose I could run a cigar lighter outlet from my rear mounted battery to the hat shelf and do away with the extension cable. But that might run afoul of some reg, so I left it as is permanently.
Be careful powering Stratux from outside will destroy the SD card. Tried two different adapter and after few hours of usage it wipe it clean.

Be careful powering Stratux from outside will destroy the SD card. Tried two different adapter and after few hours of usage it wipe it clean.

Another wild guess/possible piece of the puzzle. The Stratux based on a Pi3 requires a 2.5a power supply, and many of the el cheapo 12v-to-usb adapters are only rated to suppy 1a. Remember, the power supply must power not only the Pi3 board itself, but the two radios, GPS, and AHRS modules (if installed), so as Pi devices go, the Stratux is pretty power-hungry...and why it also needs the internal fan... which also draws power. In my car, I've used some of those in a pinch to charge a tablet or battery, but the adapter gets VERY hot and doesn't work well. Would not use one of those in a plane. Check your adapters and make sure they supply enough current for the Stratux.

You might be right. I only did one step. I’ll have to try that method next time in the plane. Thanks

Glad to help. Let me know if it works out, or if you need more specifics. Maybe, since it's all portable anyway, try out the process at home first. I always fire up everything on my bench, then outside after building a new unit, do the calibrations with various orientation setups, then "fly" the Stratux around a bit to make sure the horizon display reacts as it should. Helps to make airplane noises while you do it.

Last edited:
Glad to help. Let me know if it works out, or if you need more specifics. Maybe, since it's all portable anyway, try out the process at home first. I always fire up everything on my bench, then outside after building a new unit, do the calibrations with various orientation setups, then "fly" the Stratux around a bit to make sure the horizon display reacts as it should. Helps to make airplane noises while you do it.
I'm gonna be honest, I did "fly" around my living room when I first got it and then stuck it to my window to see if I could pick up anything. My wife is used to my antics and just shook her head...

I keep mine on the glare shield, when it starts to get to hot I move it between the seats.

Be careful with Stratux on the glare shield. A friend of mine left his on the glare shield on his PA28 and the white Stratux case melted...the unit still worked, but I had to pry out the pi3. Side glass is better, IMO.
I suppose it was one of those 3-D printed cases? The plastic for those often has a low melting point. Depends on the plastic used. I stuffed everything into a $0.99 pencil case from WalMart, no issues yet.

Back