Any Flight Bag advice?

This is what I use.
https://www.cnet.com/products/motion-systems-icon-dvd-player-case-for-dvd-player/

I'm not even sure where I got it or how I ended up with it, but it works awesome for my needs. Sunglasses case, checkbook, passport, change pocket, room for phone, wallet, 2 flashlights, a couple knives, pens, and 2 D rings. One for airplane key chain, one for car keys key chain, and a room for a little bit more stuff.

This is what I use.
https://www.cnet.com/products/motion-systems-icon-dvd-player-case-for-dvd-player/

I'm not even sure where I got it or how I ended up with it, but it works awesome for my needs. Sunglasses case, checkbook, passport, change pocket, room for phone, wallet, 2 flashlights, a couple knives, pens, and 2 D rings. One for airplane key chain, one for car keys key chain, and a room for a little bit more stuff.
How can you use that? It’s not an aviation specific bag sold by Sporty’s for 10x the price!

I like the Brightline bags. I have one, however now I have a center console so I just put stuff in that and my headsets stay in my plane.

I like the Brightline bags. I have one, however now I have a center console so I just put stuff in that and my headsets stay in my plane.

Their current stuff is nice.

They screwed the version 1 customers who helped them go from nobodies to well known with bad zippers and zero effort to make it right when version 2 came out.

Not even a discount. Let alone warranty or replacement.

So I don’t do business with them anymore. Screw em.

Clearly they understand the value of the people who pushed their brand early on, and decided to screw us. So bye bye.

Same deal with the Mac Logbook software guy.

Wouldn’t have cost either one much to keep their original anchor customers happy.

I fully know at their current sales rates, one old original customer doesn’t matter in the slightest as far as reviews or commentary goes.

But both can go straight to... you know where.

Technically if you’re asking, you already failed this difficult life test. LOL.

Thus, the amount of fun poked at every thread ever started with this question... all available in the search bar. Hahaha.

I thought this was one of the private pilot exam questions? Hope the OP got it correct!

That’s a lot of bag for 25 bucks!

I've had mine for like a decade, originally branded as maratac sold by la police, still looks new. Only use it for ferry jobs and the like nowdays, as I normally just roll with my ipad mini and headset for most stuff, sans mini if Im not going IFR, but money aside, it is the best flight bag IMO

I bought the one James recommended what was it....four years ago now? I think it was after the second semi-annual bag thread here.

I've got a Sporty's flight bag that seems to have less and less in it as the years go by. It has pockets at each end for headsets (that's useful), a pocket inside for my handheld radio, pockets on the outside, one of which has current charts for the area and check lists for the planes in the club and then "stuff" in the main compartment. That gets less and less each year. I used to carry a couple Jeppesen binders in there, but when I quit flying instruments I let that subscription lapse. That saves space and weight. I used to carry the POH for whatever plane I was flying that day, but seeing as there are the same docs in the planes, why carry mine? I could get away with a smaller flight bag, but then I'd have to spend money and my 19 year old Sporty's bag was paid for almost 2 decades ago. I'd rather spend the money on the airplane time.

Slightly on and off topic... I’m changing jobs and will be back on the flying bus fairly regularly in a few weeks. I have a samsonite roller bag that works and has a few years on it.

I was thinking of replacing it soon and if I do I wanted something that will last a decade or more. What was the brand the flight/cabin crews typically use? I know it had steel frames inside, replaceable parts etc.
It’s the PurdyNeat/Luggage Works bag. Steel frame, canvas bag. I used one for a while, I don’t recommend it. It’s heavy (especially the metal framed one), and the quality has really gone downhill over the past few decades. Frames bending and breaking, zipper pulls come off easily, seams ripping, etc. And sending it in to be refurb’d will cost almost as much as a new bag.

At my airline, I still see some of them, but nowadays many of us are carrying a well made “civilian” bag. I use a Briggs and Riley. I have three of them and love them. And it doesn’t scream “pilot” when I’m walking through he terminal going on vacation. I also see a lot of guys at work with Eagle Creek bags. They seem to like them too.

I use a small duffle/sport bag. I prefer a bit wider and shallower to a backpack. The headset bag, iPad, sentry, extra battery charging pack, clipboard and such just all fit nicely .... like files in a filing cabinet. End pocket for headlamp, sunglasses and water bottle. Side pocket for random stuff. Kinda scared to dig deeply in there! I have a second small duffel for extended XC trips. Some basic first aid, extra water, snacks, another headlamp or two, and shelter blankets and signaling stuff. I need to get smoke maker stuff also. That might be handy.

I showed up at the most difficult flying course in Army Aviation with a bag composed of six WalMart plastic bags tied together at the handles.

It irritated all the other skygods every day, but lasted through the whole course. I had two or three fancy pubs bags scattered around the planet and didn't see the need to bring one...

Is using multiple crappy plastic bags a cool thing, like how some gun guys like to “distress” their rifles to look like they were in a battle or something?

I just don’t get using throw away plastic bags as a professional pilot?
Along those lines you can also often remove a Phillips screw with a flathead, or use a torque wrench as a mallet, just not a good look IMO

I showed up at the most difficult flying course in Army Aviation with a bag composed of six WalMart plastic bags tied together at the handles.
Which one?

If getting a backpack, find one with lots of smaller pockets, otherwise you’ll look like a woman fishing through her purse mumbling “I know it’s here somewhere”.

Tom

If getting a backpack, find one with lots of smaller pockets, otherwise you’ll look like a woman fishing through her purse mumbling “I know it’s here somewhere”.

Tom

My first bag was the medium sized Brightline with a lot of pockets. It was just as bad because I couldn't remember which pocket held which thing and there are pockets IN pockets on those things. I saw it yesterday while I was cleaning out a closet.

It’s the PurdyNeat/Luggage Works bag. Steel frame, canvas bag. I used one for a while, I don’t recommend it. It’s heavy (especially the metal framed one), and the quality has really gone downhill over the past few decades. Frames bending and breaking, zipper pulls come off easily, seams ripping, etc. And sending it in to be refurb’d will cost almost as much as a new bag.

At my airline, I still see some of them, but nowadays many of us are carrying a well made “civilian” bag. I use a Briggs and Riley. I have three of them and love them. And it doesn’t scream “pilot” when I’m walking through he terminal going on vacation. I also see a lot of guys at work with Eagle Creek bags. They seem to like them too.
Thanks. I was looking for Luggage Works. They look nioce but if they arent up to snuff anymore...

So I now have a hybrid eBag roller on the way for a ton less...

Thanks again for the rec's

What do people carry with them? Headset, iPad, notepad and pen? What else?

I get having a lot of stuff for our flying hobby including books and sectional, spare batteries, flAshlight, foggles, etc, but do you really need to bring all that stuff with you for every flight? Some people's fight bags must honestly weigh 30 lb

I get having a lot of stuff for our flying hobby including books and sectional, spare batteries, flAshlight, foggles, etc, but do you really need to bring all that stuff with you for every flight? Some people's fight bags must honestly weigh 30 lb

I used to carry a harmonica. I suck at it so it stays home now. But it’ll entertain you for a little while when waiting out weather. LOL.

I used to carry a harmonica. I suck at it so it stays home now. But it’ll entertain you for a little while when waiting out weather. LOL.
Nice, Les Stroud (survivorman) used to always have a harmonica with him

If you’re just flying around the practice area, not much. Doesn’t anybody use airplanes to travel?
When traveling, I have change of clothes and toiletries, plus I don’t leave my A20, Aera 660 in the plane, too expensive and too easy to steal. That way if making an overnight stop, I just grab my flight bag. I also generally walk,scooter to the hotel, so a backpack works great for that.

Tom

Nice, Les Stroud (survivorman) used to always have a harmonica with him

It honestly gives you something to do/think about when you just need to ignore something else. Like weather for a while.

But I seriously suck at it. Like not even beginners think I sound good. Hahaha.

It honestly gives you something to do/think about when you just need to ignore something else. Like weather for a while.

But I seriously suck at it. Like not even beginners think I sound good. Hahaha.

It’s alot more complicated than people think. Playing just 1 note requires blocking the others and then there is the bending of notes.

Tom

Rotary Wing Instrument Examiner Course (RWIEC). In the UH-1H.

Toughest course ever, but ultimately rewarding when you finish!

That's what I thought you were going to say. Yes, it was the Ranger School of Army Aviation. I went in 1971, and got issued one of these bags: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-U-...526271?hash=item3d92e59bff:g:j1IAAOSw0eNdJMas

It was called RWIFEC then, and those cats didn't mess around. Of the original eighteen that started the course, six of us finished with an additional two recycled from the previous class.

I started in the night section, and on my first training flight was compelled to make a localizer approach into Dothan in a thunderstorm. Lightning struck directly in front of us between final fix and the runway. It was a timed approach, and when we couldn't see anything because the rain was so heavy, the Examiner IP said "descend 100 below minimums". I did as instructed, and we could then see runway lights through the torrent that sounded like hail. I planted that Huey on the centerline and kept it at operating RPM so we wouldn't blow over. Used both those tricks a couple times in my career. And that first flight in the course set the tone for years to follow, until I finally had enough close ones to realize I wasn't bulletproof just because I was an IFE.

I could go on forever, but this is a flight bag thread. PM me sometime and we'll swap war stories about how crazy it was to fly the right seat instruments from the left seat in the H model.

That's what I thought you were going to say. Yes, it was the Ranger School of Army Aviation. I went in 1971, and got issued one of these bags: https://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-U-...526271?hash=item3d92e59bff:g:j1IAAOSw0eNdJMas

It was called RWIFEC then, and those cats didn't mess around. Of the original eighteen that started the course, six of us finished with an additional two recycled from the previous class.
<snipped>
I could go on forever, but this is a flight bag thread. PM me sometime and we'll swap war stories about how crazy it was to fly the right seat instruments from the left seat in the H model.

Cool. I would have thought you did the course in the H-13 with the bag in 1971. It must have been nice to fly the Huey when they were fairly new.
I did most of the course with the hydraulics off because I thought it felt better. The right seaters need it, though, Ha!

Mine weighs 9 pounds including 2 headsets and water bottle.
Headsets, iPad, kneeboard, laminated POH numbers and charts, paper chart, notebook, pens, pencils, knife, tire pressure gauge, channel locks, screw driver, portable radio, water bottle, Go Pro (which I never use anymore), usb battery pack, iPhone and headphone cords, nitrile gloves, 2 red/white headlamps, red and blue flashlight, extra batteries, prescription glasses, O2 sat monitor, tire valve tool and schreader(sp) valves, extra screws, safety wire, cotter pins, AGS fuses, tube patch kit.

Plus the new additions since I have a 3 year old co pilot, pull up diaper and granola bar. Well, since I have a 89 year old CFI, those last two apply to him as well.

I did most of the course with the hydraulics off because I thought it felt better.
You meant giving instrument rides in the the OH-13? Can't see doing extended hydraulics off in the Huey.

He acknowledges wearing a diaper for the flight from NY to OSH at least once in the past decade. You gotta get real when you get old.
He charged by the lesson, not hour, because it took 15 minutes to get in and out of my cramped 150f.

Are you renting or owning? If you can leave stuff in the plane, your flight bag becomes almost non-existent.
This was part of my thought process as I was making the decision about 16 years ago to stop flying till I could buy my own plane. Sick of schlepping the stuff, finding other folks trash in the side pockets, etc...

Back in the days of paper catalogs (and no internet) I had found a place down in the Rucker AL area (I think selling to Army aviation folks). Ordered a little open topped bag, just the right size for approach plates. I can carry all I needed in that thing. Pencils, flashlight, AFD, plates, charts, and could even sorta fit my headset into it. No zippers or flaps to keep me out of it while flying. Even had my last name embroidered. Kinda like this but a different color. Not sure if this is the same store or not....
http://thehangar.com/aviation-supplies/bags/instrument-bag-without-flap.html
I'm not sure how well it will work with the new way of flying with ipads and such though..... I'll be finding out shortly!

I bought the one James recommended what was it....four years ago now? I think it was after the second semi-annual bag thread here.
Mine's still in great shape after seven years.

Back