Wingsuit Pilot Crashes

404 Page Not Found
This page does not exist yet!

Mr. Grubisic called his world-record preparations ‘‘the Icarus Project,’’ after the Greek mythological figure who carried himself aloft on homemade wings of feathers and wax but died after flying too close to the sun.
If there were a legal limit on irony, this would surely exceed it.

"The goal of Mr. Grubisic’s Icarus Project was to jump from 45,000 feet and fly as far as possible for around 15 minutes, reaching 280 mph."​

I thought if you are unpowered, terminal velocity was the limiting factor. And for a human that's around 120mph.

So how does he get to over twice that speed?

"The goal of Mr. Grubisic’s Icarus Project was to jump from 45,000 feet and fly as far as possible for around 15 minutes, reaching 280 mph."​

I thought if you are unpowered, terminal velocity was the limiting factor. And for a human that's around 120mph.

Be streamlined.

Additional lift / acceleration from the wing

Lower air density way up high. Didn’t Baumgartner exceed the speed of sound when set the free fall record a couple of years back?

Not surprising to hear of one of these incidents given some of the videos we see of wingsuit guys. Seems very dangerous, speaking as one who has never done it... Mess with the bull and you're gonna get the horns.
Sympathies for those around him. Sounds like a guy who got alot out of the live he lived.

Additional lift / acceleration from the wing
Please explain how lift or drag can result in (positive) acceleration. You can’t get lift without adding drag. Adding a wing to a human is also going to result in additional parasitic drag.

Please explain how lift or drag can result in (positive) acceleration. You can’t get lift without adding drag. Adding a wing to a human is also going to result in additional parasitic drag.

Probably in the same way that sailboats can sail to windward, rather than just downwind.

If you put a 180hp engine in a 172 it will go about 115 knots. If you put that same 180hp engine in a C model mooney, it will go quite a bit faster than 115 knots. Change the shape of the foil that's presented to the wind and you can get more speed.

Icarus plummeted to his death because he was boastful. Maybe not the best idea to name a project that you meant to be successful at.

If you put a 180hp engine in a 172 it will go about 115 knots. If you put that same 180hp engine in a C model mooney, it will go quite a bit faster than 115 knots. Change the shape of the foil that's presented to the wind and you can get more speed.

And put it in a RV-8 and it’s almost 1.5 times as fast than the 172!!

Sorry but if you play at one of the most dangerous sports out there...

We aren’t talking about a better wing, we’re talking about adding a wing where there was no wing before and that is NEVER going to make you faster. No matter how good the airfoil is.

Sorry but if you play at one of the most dangerous sports out there...

You live much fuller life?

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

We aren’t talking about a better wing, we’re talking about adding a wing where there was no wing before and that is NEVER going to make you faster. No matter how good the airfoil is.

It’s not scientific, but if I do a tracking dive next to wing suit, the wing suit is going to go a good amount faster and further

It’s not scientific, but if I do a tracking dive next to wing suit, the wing suit is going to go a good amount faster and further
Horizontally maybe, but straight down? I don’t see how that is physically possible. Faster than terminal velocity, again, I don’t see how that’s physically possible.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”
True. It’s dangerous to point out to dangerous people that they are being foolish. Lol

True. It’s dangerous to point out to dangerous people that they are being foolish. Lol

Yup

http%3A%2F%2Fcdn.cnn.com%2Fcnnnext%2Fdam%2Fassets%2F130607131706-wright-brothers-flight-1903.jpg

Horizontally maybe, but straight down? I don’t see how that is physically possible. Faster than terminal velocity, again, I don’t see how that’s physically possible.

True

Also you go a good bit faster in a head down / freestyle dive vs belly flying

Sympathies to his love ones... It´s a dangerous business doing aerobatics with no aircraft at low level.

Sorry but I do not see thrill-seeking for its own sake to be particularly noble or admirable and in no way does it compare to the Wright Bros. or anyone else that risked their life to further the aspirations of all of us. That said, if you enjoy thrill-seeking for its own benefit (and I think that many of us do to an extent), fine. Just don't expect me to mourn you, especially if the thrill-seeking you enjoy is likely more dangerous than riding a wheelie down the interstate at 100 mph.

Sorry but I do not see thrill-seeking for its own sake to be particularly noble or admirable and in no way does it compare to the Wright Bros. or anyone else that risked their life to further the aspirations of all of us. That said, if you enjoy thrill-seeking for its own benefit (and I think that many of us do to an extent), fine. Just don't expect me to mourn you, especially if the thrill-seeking you enjoy is likely more dangerous than riding a wheelie down the interstate at 100 mph.

I’m sure back then a bunch of people said the same thing about the Wright brothers.

That 120 figure is for a spread-eagled human in skydive position. Point your toes down and you'll get going much faster.

Back