Getting Ready to Start IR Training- Checkride Prep

Fly4Fun!

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Fly4Fun!
What is the best way to prepare for the IR Checkride?

Have a good instructor train you through all the tasks in the ACS.

Read acs. Be prepared to talk about everything on it. My checkride the DPE said clearly we would be going over everything on it for the oral. The flying portion was a bit more relaxed.
Know your local charts.
I watched some yT checkrides as well. I had the king course with checkride prep and found it to be disappointing. The prep for oral was great

I just took mine. Just do what you have been. If your instructor thinks you're ready, you are. And don't worry about being perfect, we all make mistakes. Just correct it without saying anything and move on. Remember, if they don't say you failed, you passed.

I just took mine. Just do what you have been. If your instructor thinks you're ready, you are. And don't worry about being perfect, we all make mistakes. Just correct it without saying anything and move on. Remember, if they don't say you failed, you passed.

As a DE back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I disagree with the "don't say anything" advice. If an applicant messed something up and said nothing, my assumption was that s/he did not realize that an error had been made. I much preferred applicants who noticed deviations and told me what they did wrong and (if necessary) how they would avoid that error in the future.

Bob Gardner

Train well.
Ask questions.
Understand what you naturally do well, and what you need work on.
Learn to split-attention like crazy! (instrument scan, set avionics, etc.)
Trust your Instructor. When he/she says you're ready for the checkride, he's probably right.

IR training IS the prep for the checkride......

As a DE back when dinosaurs roamed the earth, I disagree with the "don't say anything" advice. If an applicant messed something up and said nothing, my assumption was that s/he did not realize that an error had been made. I much preferred applicants who noticed deviations and told me what they did wrong and (if necessary) how they would avoid that error in the future.

Bob Gardner

I can see both sides of it. My DPE told me not to say anything, just fix it and move on. Best bet is to ask your examiner what they prefer. Which brings up another point. Don't be afraid to ask what your examiner is expecting. I made sure to ask if it was alright for him to be "autopilot" while I put my foggles on. He said no problem.

Back