How to impress your spouse

gkainz

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Greg Kainz
... hit a skunk with her car ...

anyone have home remedy concoctions to remove the stench from under the car?

So far ...
- drive through car wash - removed maybe 50% of the smell
- Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda, Dish soap mixture sprayed liberally under the car, let sit for an hour and pressure washed. Removed maybe another 50% remaining smell.

still not fit to bring into the garage ... and spouse is not yet impressed

Last edited:
Looks like you got the right mixture.

Yeah that’s a tough smell to extricate. Back when I had my Volvo S60, I ran over a skunk that was already dead on the road (two-lane road with traffic, so I couldn’t help but run it over). Took a bit of unicorn blood and a few car washes to fully get rid of.

Haven’t found anything. We usually just enjoy watching the dogs sniffing the car every time they walk by in the garage.

“You guys actually LIKE that smell?!”

... hit a skunk with her car ...

anyone have home remedy concoctions to remove the stench from under the car?

So far ...
- drive through car wash - removed maybe 50% of the smell
- Hydrogen Peroxide, Baking Soda, Dish soap mixture sprayed liberally under the car, let sit for an hour and pressure washed. Removed maybe another 50% remaining smell.

still not fit to bring into the garage ... and spouse is not yet impressed

Trade it on a new one, she'll be quite impressed.

There's only one way you can use a car to impress a woman, and that's to buy it for her. (or build it for her, as @Ted DuPuis is doing)

By the way @gkainz, I found porcupine quills in the sidewall of one of my wife’s truck tires.

She says she thought she swerved enough to miss it. LOL.

I was thinking 'unsolicited flowers' or 'movie tickets and dinner'. But the skunk sounds like a nice touch.

Skunk story:

So, I get home @ 23:30 (back when I worked for a livin). Let the dogs out. One liked to go round back of my pole bldg. garage, across the driveway from the house. He did. Then he yelped. And comes running to me. He'd been sprayed.

Mama's asleep in the house. I let the clean dog in, and carried stinky. IN TO THE HOUSE. I've gotta clean him up. Just built the house, so no outside facilities to use.

Wife wakes up from a dead sleep... "SKUNK!" she hollers.

I took stinky into the second bath got him in the tub, got the peroxide, dog shampoo, and towels..

Got most of it off in 3 washes.

He gets outta the tub and shakes off.

Every once in a while, you could still smell a tinge of skunk in that bath for about 2years(even after a repaint).

Before I built that house, I had a raccoon in my attic... Someday I'll 'splain how I got rid of it.

Give the keys to Toonces, and then call the insurance company.

Only solution...

anigif_enhanced-14054-1432243593-7.gif

My dad (a veterinarian) said that tomato juice was good for removing skunk smells. That was a long time ago and he's been dead for 10 years, so I can't ask him for clarification. Give it a try. It's cheaper than a new car. :p

I've heard the "tomato juice" thing too.
I think they tested it on Mythbusters once, and it performed okay.

You are pretty much stuck with it. It is possible to reduce the smell but it lives longer than the actual skunk.

It is not such a bad smell after a few weeks....:lol::lol:

The Dawn, peroxide, baking soda remedy works on pets - don’t ask how I know. I think it would work on a vehicle, too. I know you had some success with it, so that’s good.

Probably park it outside in the hot sun and hope whatever is left oxidizes as soon as possible.

Upon getting skunked in September best things to apply are October, November, and December.

I ran over a chuck of dead skunk a few weeks ago. The smell is still there....

Tomato juice was our go-to when the dog got sprayed, which happened often enough we kept a bunch of it on hand. Doesn't completely eliminate it but it sure helps. You'd smell the skunk any time the dog got wet for months afterwards, though.

So the first time you removed 50%, the second time you removed 50% of that. Based on that in 5 more washes you should be down to around .1% of the original stank.

So rub a dub dub my brutha.
Just watch, some f***ing engineer is going to do the math in an attempt to prove me wrong.

Last edited:
Ever since I lost my sense of smell, Skunk juice smells like coffee to me.

Yummmm!

Tomato juice was our go-to when the dog got sprayed, which happened often enough we kept a bunch of it on hand. Doesn't completely eliminate it but it sure helps. You'd smell the skunk any time the dog got wet for months afterwards, though.

Kept getting sprayed? Dogs weren’t very smart?

Second or third vote for "time." Tomato juice or ketchup (actually preferred using ketchup on our dogs when they got skunked on several occasions) works pretty well, but they are acidic and, depending upon what parts of the car you're washing, you'd want to make sure you rinsed EXTREMELY well so as not to cause yourself even less enjoyable hassles down the road (pun intended).

So the first time you removed 50%, the second time you removed 50% of that. Based on that in 5 more washes you should be down to around .1% of the original stank.

So rub a dub dub my brutha.
Just watch, some f***ing engineer is going to do the math in an attempt to prove me wrong.
Unless what really happened was my sense of smell was dulled by the awful, wretched stench of skunk over time, and it still reeks as badly as before I started? Parking it across the street tonight ... with the keys in it. Maybe it will be gone in the morning? :D

I did the math in my nugget and juuuuust after I pressed "post reply" I thought about the reputation of POA "Poo-pooing Other's Accuracy" that it was going to be challenged. Therefore, I went back and added the not so subtle disclaimer.

To show my work:
first wash removed 50% of the smell
second removed 50% of that leaving 25% of the original smell

Five more washes:
1st - 12.5% of OS (original smell)
2nd - 6.25% of OS
3rd - 3.125% of OS
4th - 1.5625 of OS
5th - .78125 of OS

To continue for accuracy of my statement:

6th - .390625 of OS
7th - .1953125 of OS
8th - .09765625 of OS

To the OP - I apologize for my grossly underestimated calculations of washings and the three more washings required to remove almost all the smell.

So, what you are saying is... he'll never get rid of the smell!

But he'll forever have a clean car.

Back