ADSB and military flights

Bill Weber

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Bill W
Morning...

I've noticed that MIL flights don't show live (or archived) on websites like flightradar24, however, I believe they do show while in flight on the aircraft PFD/NAV.

Can anyone confirm this?

Thank you.

Most Mil aircraft don't have ADSB.

Flightradar24 filters out certain traffic for security reasons.

And for those of us in fleets getting equipped, we re currently flying with it off.

maybe I should better qualify this... Do MIL A/C keep there Mode C xpdr on during operation? you tend to see all this relayed to you if in ADSB service area.

Yes. At least while in the US NAS.

You should see military aircraft near you on TCAS or ADSB in your aircraft. Just won't see them online or in some app on your phone.

It depends on the airspace and scenario. In formation only the lead has M3/C on. Some airspace or controlling agencies ask the others to turn it on, some don't. Very good chance that only one (of 4 or 8 jets) might have M3/C on in a MOA or Warning area.

Was watching a B-1 on radar earlier this year and it wasn’t showing equipped. Controller said they can’t remember any tactical military showing ADS-B. Transports / helos, yes. I know some are waiting til the last minute to upgrade as well. Saw a Canadian C-130 on my Scout back in May.
EFABED63-C004-40F0-BACA-CC742DAD73BC.jpeg

No plan for any fighters (that I know of) to get ADSB. We finally got the waiver distributed to the fleet a few months back. Having something that tells your exact location, speed and altitude to anyone asking isn't the best option for fighters when people are trying to shoot at you. I know a version with an on/off switch could be implemented, uncle sam just hasn't put money or brain bytes into that for now.

The purpose of ADS-B is in the name. Surveillance.

The entity surveilling already knows where their assets are. :)

If you see a 4000 code anywhere near Central Texas, that is a Fort Hood based VFR helicopter.

Other installations have unique codes also.

If you see a 4000 code anywhere near Central Texas, that is a Fort Hood based VFR helicopter.

Other installations have unique codes also.

If it's mirroring the transponder then 4000 is the squawk when on a VR route so it could be anyone.

If it's mirroring the transponder then 4000 is the squawk when on a VR route so it could be anyone.

Yeah the only times I’ve ever seen a 4000 were jets on VR route. All the times I’ve been in SUA areas ATC or “range radio” issued a discrete.

Last edited:
Back