Tesla Model 3 - Now I get the hype.

But, in general, non-ionizing radiation is harmless
Non-ionizing radiation isn’t harmless, however it is less of a concern than its ionizing counterparts.

Remember, ultraviolet radiation that is 290nm and greater (UV-B and A) is technically non-ionizing, but is energetic enough not to forego any concern associated by it.

A real question- can it get recharged, at least in part, during the tow? I'm thinking the same mechanism as the regenerative braking.
I think that would be like towing a car with someone riding the brakes. I wouldn't think that would be a good idea.

Need to think more about the insurance. It would seem that the process chain for repair would be shorter... that has to be a chance for less expensive.
1. Tesla repair shops only service the limited number of models (inherent in the Tesla autos)
2. The Agent knows you from your car's registration, And knows configuration from serial number.
3. Place order for part from factory ( no middle folks or brokers)
4. Send Tesla flatbed or service truck to location
5. Fix car
6. Return to service
No collision estimators no negotiation no hassle ..
Must look deeper

Hundreds of studies worldwide have shown that living next to high voltage power lines and other parts of the power transmission network increases your risk of cancer and other health issues. The closer you are, the more you are affected by dangerous EMFs. So, you have to ask yourself, is sitting inside a vehicle where you’re exposed with great concentration to electricity circulating around your body healthy? Just food for thought - something of which I’ve greatly thought about.

It's AC that causes electromagnetic fields. The only thing that's AC in an EV is the motor and the wiring between the controller and the motor (a very short run)... And that's still maxing out around 400 volts. You probably are subject to more EM in your house.

I'm trying to imagine what my life would look like if I wanted to remove EMF from my daily routine. All I've come up with so far is floating in the middle of the Pacific Ocean in a liferaft.

If EMF is my big concern, I'm doing things pretty right. :D

I think that would be like towing a car with someone riding the brakes. I wouldn't think that would be a good idea.
If it's like the hybrid Focus I've driven (Foci since I've rented several?), there probably isn't much effect since those cars seem to coast like any other, but the gauges claim regenerative breaking. Stepping on the brakes lightly show more voltage. @Jay Honeck 's reply suggests it is an inconsequential point now since it isn't recommended.

If it's like the hybrid Focus I've driven (Foci since I've rented several?), there probably isn't much effect since those cars seem to coast like any other, but the gauges claim regenerative breaking.
I've driven the Model 3 and the braking effect from regen is significant. When I'd come off the accelerator completely it felt like moderate brake pressure on a conventional car.

I've driven the Model 3 and the braking effect from regen is significant. When I'd come off the accelerator completely it felt like moderate brake pressure on a conventional car.

Yeah, i didn't like that "feature." It wasn't smooth at all. When I let off the accelerator, I like to coast.

Yeah, i didn't like that "feature." It wasn't smooth at all. When I let off the accelerator, I like to coast.

Everybody dislikes it at first but you get use to tapering off the pedal slowly in about a week.

Thereafter the benefit you get from strong regen being able to match traffic speed without the brake pedal outweighs the drawback of having to finesse the acceleration pedal more.

I think there's still a setting in there somewhere to turn off strong regen braking, but I don't know anybody who use it beyond the first few weeks. A lot of people (me included) want it even stronger and have the car come to a dead stop like BMW does.

Can someone explain the article I read this morning that leads one to believe that you can’t get in your car if you can’t get to Tesla’s servers from your phone? I know that can’t be right.

Can someone explain the article I read this morning that leads one to believe that you can’t get in your car if you can’t get to Tesla’s servers from your phone? I know that can’t be right.

They didn't take their physical key with them, and just relied on the Tesla App

Isn't that like those old-fashioned 'manual' transmission cars? Not that anyone remembers those.

Isn't that like those old-fashioned 'manual' transmission cars? Not that anyone remembers those.
I still drive a car with a manual transmission; a 2002 Jetta TDI.

Yes, it is a bit like coasting in-gear in a car with a manual transmission but in a lower gear. It is a surprising amount of deceleration.

I'd recommend a Tesla test drive to anyone interested in the cars and technology. It's not like a typical car dealership. They're happy to let you take a test drive even if you aren't currently shopping for a car. You can setup a test drive on the Tesla website or by calling your local showroom.

Everybody dislikes it at first but you get use to tapering off the pedal slowly in about a week.

Thereafter the benefit you get from strong regen being able to match traffic speed without the brake pedal outweighs the drawback of having to finesse the acceleration pedal more.

I think there's still a setting in there somewhere to turn off strong regen braking, but I don't know anybody who use it beyond the first few weeks. A lot of people (me included) want it even stronger and have the car come to a dead stop like BMW does.

You get regen braking with one pedal or two. No real difference until very slow or you slam on the brakes.

Tim

My friend with the Tesla doesn’t care for the regen, but his wife does. It’s apparently an easy setting to change depending on who’s driving.

In our Clarity, I like maximum regen, especially on twisty mountain roads where it emulates downshifting. In fact, I wish there was a higher setting to approximate “one pedal driving”.

If it's like the hybrid Focus I've driven (Foci since I've rented several?), there probably isn't much effect since those cars seem to coast like any other, but the gauges claim regenerative breaking. Stepping on the brakes lightly show more voltage.

Ford designed their cars (smartly, IMO) so that they feel just like a plain old ICEV with an automatic, even their full electrics. When you're in Drive, the regen you get from releasing the accelerator pedal is limited to 10kW so it coasts like an ICEV. If you shift into Low, the regen limiter is turned off and it drives more like a Tesla, though since the motors aren't nearly as strong, neither is the regen.

You do get more regen from the first part of the brake pedal travel as well, but there's no indication as to when the brake pads hit the rotors and you start to waste energy as heat, so for efficiency purposes I nearly always drove my Ford (Fusion Energi) in Low. The Volt works the same way, and I do the same thing in it.

That's not right. The key function uses Bluetooth. What you can't do when you can't get to Tesla's servers is to control the car when you're farther away from it... Same as with any other network connected device ever. Pull out the cord on your rotary phone and it won't work either...

The driver told investigators that he was not using his cell phone. A witness who was traveling alongside the Tesla said that before the crash, the Tesla driver “appeared to be looking down at a cell phone or other device he was holding in his left hand.” Records confirm that the driver was not using his phone to talk or text in the minutes before the crash, but they do not contain any information about manual manipulation of the phone or using applications installed on it.

The driver said that he was unsure whether he had a coffee mug or a bagel in his hand atthe time of impact. He told a CHP officer after the crash that he had been distracted by the car’s radio.

Uh huh. Sure. He was distracted by the "radio", and not looking at his phone at all, so he managed to hit a stationary fire truck... at 31 miles per hour. Sorry, if you can't avoid an accident with a stationary vehicle from a speed of 31 miles per hour, you don't belong on the road, period.

For what it's worth, the autopilot system on that car (2014) would have been one of the first-gen single-camera versions developed by Mobileye (aka "Autpilot Hardware 1"). The Model S and X switched over to Tesla's in-house 8-camera "Autopilot Hardware 2" in 2016, and every Tesla Model 3 has had at least Autopilot Hardware 2.5. Hardware 3, with Tesla's neural net processor, launched on all Tesla models a few months ago; everyone who paid for the self-driving option on their Hardware 2/2.5 cars will get the Hardware 3 computer.

That's not right. The key function uses Bluetooth. What you can't do when you can't get to Tesla's servers is to control the car when you're farther away from it... Same as with any other network connected device ever. Pull out the cord on your rotary phone and it won't work either...
Seems this answer was more accurate.
They didn't take their physical key with them, and just relied on the Tesla App
https://thenextweb.com/cars/2019/09...d-out-of-their-cars-because-the-app-was-down/

As far as I can see what happened (based on my wife’s app behavior) - the app tried to contact the servers, the servers were up but the database behind it down so it sent an authentication failure down to the app and it logged the users out of the app as a result.

If the servers were plain unreachable the app would have stayed logged in and worked fine. (We use the app often in a parking lot that has no LTE access and it works).

So this is a bug in my opinion, not just a service outage - the server shouldn’t respond with a auth failure unless it knows for sure that e.g the password has changed. It’s pretty common to code a backend like this though to log the user out on any kind of failure because it’s easier and theoretically more secure. But it’s very undesirable in this case.

It's Kent. It is impossible for there anything to be negative about Apple or Tesla.

Hah! No, there's plenty wrong with Apple and Tesla... But if I do tend to knee-jerk in their defense sometimes, it's because there's 10 times as much misinformation, especially about Tesla. Bag on them all you want, as long as it's actually true.

In this case, I think @deonb nailed it. This particular failure mode is too much in the "fail-secure" mindset and apparently caused some people's phones to stop working as keys. But, IMO it's not particularly smart to not even have the key card in your wallet. Phone batteries run out frequently too...

In this case, I think @deonb nailed it. This particular failure mode is too much in the "fail-secure" mindset and apparently caused some people's phones to stop working as keys. But, IMO it's not particularly smart to not even have the key card in your wallet. Phone batteries run out frequently too...

Exactly right. My key card lives in my wallet. Mary's key card lives in her purse.

Relying on a cellphone as your only means of entry to your car is daft.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

Exactly right. My key card lives in my wallet. Mary's key card lives in her purse.

Relying on a cellphone as your only means of entry to your car is daft.

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

I love that word - "Daft."

Well, I just put down a deposit on a new Tesla model 3. Dark blue, dual motor, long range, with full self driving capability. Delivery date is set for 9/17. Can’t wait!

I was going to wait until next year, but the tax credit ends at the end of this year. Also the price of the self driving option will be going up soon. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger. The car is amazing.

Well, I just put down a deposit on a new Tesla model 3. Dark blue, dual motor, long range, with full self driving capability. Delivery date is set for 9/17. Can’t wait!

I was going to wait until next year, but the tax credit ends at the end of this year. Also the price of the self driving option will be going up soon. So I went ahead and pulled the trigger. The car is amazing.
So now you’re Tesla Don?

Looking forward to a pirep. Or would that be a drirep?

Looking forward to a pirep. Or would that be a drirep?

Oh yes, I will provide an update when it is delivered!

I will say that the purchase experience was quite different. No haggling over price. No sales tactics. The Tesla associate just walked me through the order process on my iPhone. I could have done it just as easily from my couch at home.

I understand that is what Porsche has done with the Taycan. You have to be on the brake pedal before the progressive regen braking activates.

Guys like this will give the Tesla a bad name.
I love that the Mass police were quoted as saying there's no law against sleeping behind the wheel of an autonomous vehicle . . . um, fully autonomous vehicles aren't likely permitted on public roads anyway, so I'd imagine there's a law regarding "inattentive driving" that would cover it, at a minimum.

I love that the Mass police were quoted as saying there's no law against sleeping behind the wheel of an autonomous vehicle . . . um, fully autonomous vehicles aren't likely permitted on public roads anyway, so I'd imagine there's a law regarding "inattentive driving" that would cover it, at a minimum.
Do self driving cars have the intelligence to pull over if there are flashing lights behind?

Do self driving cars have the intelligence to pull over if there are flashing lights behind?

I don't have an answer to that question, but probably not at this stage in the game, since Telsa themselves maintain that the driver should be attentive and at the controls when on autopilot. The car probably should have veered off the side of a bridge for that guy just to deepen the gene pool a bit, lol.

Back