I hate birds without ADSB

WannFly

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Priyo
I was minding my own business at 3800 when I saw what appears to be a bald eagle (or he might have hair, don’t know) flew by may be 200 feet above me over my left wing. No regard for FAR, not talking to approach and no ADSB squawk..... I am livid

I hit one of those things. It was about the size of a large dog. Three feet lower and I wouldn't be here.

I swear they shoot them at you from the big towers around here...

Some stupid pilot with a bo was coming in on long final. Since i was doing a currency flight that day (borrowing my bro's plane), i extended my downwind to let him land first. he was in a faster plane and so i gave him the courtesy. i communicated with him. It was at a one strip field with no taxiway other than the gates to the community. well, he landed on my downwind, i announced my base, then final, and instead of vacating the runway at the end, he turned aroud and back taxiid ignoring the fact i was inbound, literally in his windshield. i had the right of way. i called the go around. he asked where i was. i told him i'm going aroud and will have a little talk with him once parked.

i landed and he was no where to be seen.

another time, i was on the runup area with 3 other planes, busy day. some stupid young girl pilot starting coming in on long final on the opposite end. announcing her approach while all of us were wondering WTF. one guy called out on her, asking her to repeat hoping she'd get the hint (three planes at runup). i called out to her and knew the tail number as a rental. 'hey are you flying with pat?' she responded that she was flying her dad around. then asked me to judge her approach.

i told her it was a fail and obviuosly wasn't with an instructor because, while she wasn't breaking any laws, the active runway was the opposite end and 3 pilots were now being delayed on their takeoff because she was too lazy to enter the pattern properly. she aborted her landing and flew away. i called the owner and informed him that some of his customers were wreckless and douchey.

one of the many reasons i became a piilot was to avoid stupid and unsafe narcicistic drivers on the road. I live in possibly one of the worst cities for bad drivers. i have many more stories of people doing stupid things especially at low altitude near an airport and above houses. my esteem for pilots, in general, have decayed since becoming one. By no means does your story shock me.

Sent from my SM-T720 using Tapatalk

one of the many reasons i became a piilot was to avoid stupid and unsafe narcicistic drivers on the road. I live in possibly one of the worst cities for bad drivers. i have many more stories of people doing stupid things especially at low altitude near an airport and above houses. my esteem for pilots, in general, have decayed since becoming one. By no means does your story shock me.

I thought we were talking about birds... with feathers. :D

I was minding my own business at 3800 when I saw what appears to be a bald eagle (or he might have hair, don’t know) flew by may be 200 feet above me over my left wing. No regard for FAR, not talking to approach and no ADSB squawk..... I am livid
It's their world. We just live in it.

Birds owned the sky before our species ever walked upright. It truly is their world.
If you mean they fly better than us, sure. If you mean own in the dictionary meaning of the word, "to possess", not even close.

The former makes no sense in the context of this thread. The latter does.

Some stupid pilot with a bo was coming in on long final. Since i was doing a currency flight that day (borrowing my bro's plane), i extended my downwind to let him land first. he was in a faster plane and so i gave him the courtesy. i communicated with him. It was at a one strip field with no taxiway other than the gates to the community. well, he landed on my downwind, i announced my base, then final, and instead of vacating the runway at the end, he turned aroud and back taxiid ignoring the fact i was inbound, literally in his windshield. i had the right of way. i called the go around. he asked where i was. i told him i'm going aroud and will have a little talk with him once parked.

another time, i was on the runup area with 3 other planes, busy day. some stupid young girl pilot starting coming in on long final on the opposite end. announcing her approach while all of us were wondering WTF. one guy called out on her, asking her to repeat hoping she'd get the hint (three planes at runup). i called out to her and knew the tail number as a rental. 'hey are you flying with pat?' she responded that she was flying her dad around. then asked me to judge her approach.

i told her it was a fail and obviuosly wasn't with an instructor because, while she wasn't breaking any laws, the active runway was the opposite end and 3 pilots were now being delayed on their takeoff because she was too lazy to enter the pattern properly. she aborted her landing and flew away. i called the owner and informed him that some of his customers were wreckless and douchey.

Well you definitely seem like an expert on “douchey”.

I passed some sort of bird at 9k a couple years ago inside the Bravo, no mode C, no ADSB, nothing . Sumbeech never showed up for his FAA interview either. I believe there is a warrant out for “Bird, brown or light black, two wings, claws on both feet, beady eyes, possibly suicidal”. I swear ....that’s what on the warrant.

Sitting in the run up area preparing to takeoff does not give you the right away over landing traffic. There is no such thing an active runway at an uncontrolled field.

IFR=on the thousand
VFR=on the thousand +500
AVR(avian flight rules)= on the thousand - 200.

He was where he was supposed to be. He probably reported you, you file a nasa report? I hope you did.

I had a loon cross directly in front of me in a long final, he was close! Happened so fast I had no time for reaction luckily didn’t nail him!

Flying out west this summer seen a flock of something zoom by way to close then “SWWAATT” on the windscreen.., evidently scared the **** out of one! The feeling was mutual- I was beyond wide awake!

Sitting in the run up area preparing to takeoff does not give you the right away over landing traffic. There is no such thing an active runway at an uncontrolled field.
And how the hell would she know there were three planes waiting on the other side?
And how the hell does it even slow you down if she lands the other way anyway. You still have to wait for her to land and clear.

the active runway was the opposite end and 3 pilots were now being delayed on their takeoff because she was too lazy to enter the pattern properly.
We all know the perils of a long straight in with other planes flying the patterns, but if everyone is on the ground, then she certainly has the right of way and you needed to either decide to expedite and get out or wait, regardless of which runway she chose as PIC.

We talk about the power of the decisions as PIC, but sometimes downplay that power when exercised by a lower time pilot.

@WannFly , my interpretation of 14 CFR § 91.159 is the VFR cruising altitudes don't kick in until you are above 3000 AGL. At my home drome, 3800 MSL would put you below the floor for that requirement. At KFAR with a field elevation of 896 it wouldn't actually kick in until 3897 MSL at which point you'd climb to 45 or 55 depending on your compass heading. Of course I can't know where you were at the time just wanted to add for clarification.

@WannFly , my interpretation of 14 CFR § 91.159 is the VFR cruising altitudes don't kick in until you are above 3000 AGL. At my home drome, 3800 MSL would put you below the floor for that requirement. At KFAR with a field elevation of 896 it wouldn't actually kick in until 3897 MSL at which point you'd climb to 45 or 55 depending on your compass heading. Of course I can't know where you were at the time just wanted to add for clarification.

At KFAR the controllers will give a stay under x or y, doesn’t have to be 45 or 55 in the practice area

Yeah, for all you know she was practicing an engine out landing with a tailwind. I've done that before, on purpose...

I was in formation with a hawk at Hemet-Ryan years ago; I was solo in a 150, in the pattern, I think turning base to final - he was inside my turn, a few feet lower, in perfect formation during the whole turn, and looking over at me - like, his was head turned, looking at me. . .weird, and kinda cool. He never flapped a wing to stay in place; I think his shorter turn radius made up for the difference in our speed, and we were descending, which I guess gave him some more energy, as well.

Just danged odd that his relative position never changed during 90 degrees of turn. . .that was a weird airport, back in the 70's - wild dogs/coyotes eating the fabric off sailplanes, the taxiway being landed on all the time 'cause it was better looking than the runway, wires across one end of the runway, fairly close as I recall; a bluff, or a kinda flat ridge just north, if I remember, and you could "skim" over it and get a dramatic effect as the edge dropped away. Did my first solo there . . .

I did. As a CFI, my assessment is you need to re-read 14CFR.
I'll do it or you

91.113 G Aircraft, while on final approach to land or while landing, have the right-of-way over other aircraft in flight or operating on the surface, except that they shall not take advantage of this rule to force an aircraft off the runway surface which has already landed and is attempting to make way for an aircraft on final approach. When two or more aircraft are approaching an airport for the purpose of landing, the aircraft at the lower altitude has the right-of-way, but it shall not take advantage of this rule to cut in front of another which is on final approach to land or to overtake that aircraft.

Explain to me how I didn't have the right of way while on final approach while the other pilot opted to do a 180 and back taxi instead of taking the exit point where he was?

You can read but you cannot comprehend. You said there is no taxiway. Where is he supposed to exit the runway when he is not going to the gated community at the end and has to back taxi to depart? The way for him to make way for you is to back taxi and depart.

Some people are not comfortable with another aircraft landing behind them, nor with an aircraft in front of them. I fly into a number of no taxiway strips. Sometimes we arrange multiple aircraft on the runway, sometimes they decline. If he's not stopping at the destination he isnt going to vacate the runway. Maybe you should have asked him before assuming everyone is supposed to cater to you.

You can read but you cannot comprehend. You said there is no taxiway. Where is he supposed to exit the runway when he is not going to the gated community at the end and has to back taxi to depart? The way for him to make way for you is to back taxi and depart.

Some people are not comfortable with another aircraft landing behind them, nor with an aircraft in front of them. I fly into a number of no taxiway strips. Sometimes we arrange multiple aircraft on the runway, sometimes they decline. If he's not stopping at the destination he isnt going to vacate the runway. Maybe you should have asked him before assuming everyone is supposed to cater to you.
There are two exit points on the runway at either end. He was at the other end where he stopped his plane. It's a roundabout with a runup area as well as a community gate (where he lives). I lost count the number of times i've vacated the runway to make way for planes on final.

I know the guy now, we're buddies. At the time I was furious but it's all water under the bridge.

as a claims adjuster, I know all too well the scourge of The Birds. They smash wings, radomes, pressure bulkheads, blow up engines, even little sparrows pierce through windscreens like rifle rounds and strike passengers in the face. My god, the HORROR. The skies will not be safe until they are wiped clean of such vile creatures. Godspeed out there, all.

I was in formation with a hawk at Hemet-Ryan years ago; I was solo in a 150, in the pattern, I think turning base to final - he was inside my turn, a few feet lower, in perfect formation during the whole turn, and looking over at me - like, his was head turned, looking at me. . .weird, and kinda cool. He never flapped a wing to stay in place; I think his shorter turn radius made up for the difference in our speed, and we were descending, which I guess gave him some more energy, as well.

Just danged odd that his relative position never changed during 90 degrees of turn. . .that was a weird airport, back in the 70's - wild dogs/coyotes eating the fabric off sailplanes, the taxiway being landed on all the time 'cause it was better looking than the runway, wires across one end of the runway, fairly close as I recall; a bluff, or a kinda flat ridge just north, if I remember, and you could "skim" over it and get a dramatic effect as the edge dropped away. Did my first solo there . . .

Sounds like the hawk violated 91.111. Did you report it?

Looks like this turned into a butthurt thread ... lol

Birds owned the sky before our species ever walked upright. It truly is their world.
Naw. We've taken it. Though occasionally they fight back, with suicide attacks (I got seven on one landing, Sully had a more spectacular result.)

I was turning left base to final landing at Gettysburg and a large black hawk appeared roughly 50-100 feet in front of my right wing. I thought for sure I was going to hit it, but then it looked me straight in the eye and saw me. Fortunately as soon as it saw me it dived out of the way. It looked like it would have done some serious damage.

Awesome! Young people into aviation; sounds like she was sharing it with her family! This is exactly what we need. She probably just got her license to learn, and was proud to take her dad up.

Yikes. Well it sounds like a fail might have occurred here.

We need to try to be patient with each other; understand not everybody is God's gift to the skies, and sometimes people make mistakes. We don't need to be harsh with a young lady for no good reason. She wasn't blatantly being reckless; from the sounds of things. Nice words and a laugh would have accomplished far more; she may have learned something, still landed with her dad (but perhaps the other direction), and still kept that neat shine on aviation that we all had when we were new to flying.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong; and chasing her away from your airport was the right thing to do. I wasn't there.

Well, a nearby Hawker took out a couple of the feathered sky-rats yesterday:

IMG_5356.jpg

Yes, that's a leg hanging out the bottom of the radome. Nailed him dead center. Got another one with the wing.

As a pilot who also flies paragliders, I’ve had the privilege to soar with turkey vultures, sparrows, pelicans, frigates, a flock of parrots circling above the botanical gardens in Rio, and most recently some small falcon-looking birds near Seattle.

If they had ADS-B it would surely make it easier to find the lift! Looking forward to that.

Attachments

• F9C0BE28-8E49-4DF8-A017-F602D944F683.jpeg
    F9C0BE28-8E49-4DF8-A017-F602D944F683.jpeg
    251 KB · Views: 11
I thought we were talking about birds... with feathers. :D
Me too. I did not really catch up with the topic.

Back