Space and Rocket Museum (Huntsville)

kyleb

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Drake the Outlaw
I'd like to fly my son over to the museum sometime, and am looking for "last few miles" transport suggestions. Best I can tell, Signature is gonna charge a $49 ramp fee at Huntsville International, which makes me cringe. From there, it is either a 10 mile uber ride or a car rental to the museum and back. Decatur (DCU) won't have the ramp fee, but it's 20 miles away from the museum, which would almost certainly require a rental.

Suggestions?

Check with Signature. At times they waive the ramp fee on the weekend or if you buy 5 gallons of their overpriced fuel.

My kids go to to Space Camp. My wife's Lyft receipt for HSV to the museum last week was $29.40

I will say that’s a great museum to visit. Lots of historic items. Better than KSC IMO.

Following this one. I've been looking at the same trip and was planning on posting here when I actually found a time to make the trip. I was starting to consider MDQ (they advertise no fees). Looks like about the same cost for Uber (at least at this time of morning). Not sure about rental car availability there, though.

Kyle -- Have you made this trip yet? Got any tips to share?

We did that flight many years ago, 10+ years. The ramp fee wasn't much, or I got fuel. I was going to get a rental car, but they gave me a crew car as they had several not being used on the weekend. Made the ramp fee or pricey gas look like a deal then. :D

Wayne

FYI I did this trip today. Flew into HSV and $ignature.

$55 handling fee waived with fuel purchase. Not sure what their min purchase is to get the fee waived. I got 23 gallons and got the waiver.
$.50/gal discount on the weekend. Came out to $6.35 after the discount.

Took an Uber to/from for about $50 round trip.
EAA members get free admission to museum for 1 adult and 2 kids under 18.
We spent about 3.5-4 hours at the museum and that was pretty much enough for the interest of an 10 and 8 y/o, though we didn't do any of the 'extras' like the Planetarium or movies or VR or simulator stuff. When we walked past the 'flight simulator experience', my oldest son immediately said "Huh... That's MSFS."

Last edited:
We did this trip recently, posted a video of it on YT. We also opted for an Uber, was $37 each way. Ramp fees at MDQ were waived with our 15gal fuel purchase and got a $.50/gal discount when I said we were going to the Museum. Two adults and two kids tickets came to a smooth $100. It’s a fantastic museum, really good exhibits although some of the outside aircraft could use a coat of paint. Highly recommend seeing it, my kiddos enjoyed it and they slept the whole flight back home.

We did this trip recently, posted a video of it on YT. We also opted for an Uber, was $37 each way. Ramp fees at MDQ were waived with our 15gal fuel purchase and got a $.50/gal discount when I said we were going to the Museum. Two adults and two kids tickets came to a smooth $100. It’s a fantastic museum, really good exhibits although some of the outside aircraft could use a coat of paint. Highly recommend seeing it, my kiddos enjoyed it and they slept the whole flight back home.

Nice video!

I grew up about 45 mins west of USSRC, so we did several elementary school field trips there in the 80's. Back then, you could take a bus tour over to Marshall Space Flight Center and see them building the actual modules for the Space Station. I think the Space Station modules that they have on display now are the same ones I walked through as a 5th grade. ha!

This trip (for me) was a little underwhelming, though I think my boys really enjoyed it as their first trip. The Saturn V hall was really interesting as it outlined the history of the US space program, but I was disappointed they really didn't have much of anything about the Artemis mission or anything about the Mars missions other than the "Mars Grill". Despite my own personal letdown, the boys came away saying "I definitely want to go to Space Camp", so I can still call it a win.

Nice video!

I grew up about 45 mins west of USSRC, so we did several elementary school field trips there in the 80's. Back then, you could take a bus tour over to Marshall Space Flight Center and see them building the actual modules for the Space Station. I think the Space Station modules that they have on display now are the same ones I walked through as a 5th grade. ha!

This trip (for me) was a little underwhelming, though I think my boys really enjoyed it as their first trip. The Saturn V hall was really interesting as it outlined the history of the US space program, but I was disappointed they really didn't have much of anything about the Artemis mission or anything about the Mars missions other than the "Mars Grill". Despite my own personal letdown, the boys came away saying "I definitely want to go to Space Camp", so I can still call it a win.

Thank You! yeah, you are right that they could have done a better job of showing Artemis and everything involved with that. That side was definitely disappointing. My kiddos were 50/50 on space camp, the other wants to go and the other doesn’t. I have a few more years to work on that :)

Back