Piper Archer\Cherokee 180

FlyBoyAndy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyBoyAndy
If a person was stuck on getting a Piper Archer or Cherokee 180 (because he wants to buy a low wing, but fixed gear) and had about $60,000 to spend, where would you direct him for something similar, but not Piper to buy?

The Grumman aa-5 would be my choice were I in the market for a 4-seat aircraft. Faster than a Piper, and that sliding canopy is super cool. And you can sleep in the back.

Beech Mouse if 2 doors are important.

I dunno, it’s pretty hard to beat the performance of an Archer / Cherokee 180 given that price frame. Why are you trying to divert away from them?

If a person was stuck on getting a Piper Archer or Cherokee 180 (because he wants to buy a low wing, but fixed gear) and had about $60,000 to spend, where would you direct him for something similar, but not Piper to buy?
why would he not buy an Archer? ;)

Check out the ads on Barnstormers, Controller, Trade-a-Plane and the other vendor sales sites. Put out the word through your local AMEs and flight training units. You will want to find something that isn't too far away (e.g. not on the other coast).

https://www.barnstormers.com/
https://www.controller.com/
https://www.trade-a-plane.com/

What's the typical mission? For two, an AA5A is faster and uses less fuel, should be available in that price range fairly well equipped. An AA5 is almost as fast and is even less expensive. Many AA5/AA5As have been modified with an HC STC that effectively makes them160 hp on 8 gph or less. You'd be hard pressed to find a well equipped Tiger for $60k.

A Cherokee 180 is not a bad choice in this class. Does it go as fast and as far as you want with the desired payload?

No, I’ve either missed on the good priced ones with good equipment or there aren’t a lot for sale. I love the Archer and 180.

The Grumman aa-5 would be my choice were I in the market for a 4-seat aircraft. Faster than a Piper, and that sliding canopy is super cool. And you can sleep in the back.
They suck. No one should buy them. They are way overvalued.

Plus, I'm looking for one and don't want anyone else trying to buy them now.

Your friend has a good taste for planes. And that’s coming from a c182 guy. I flew those for later half of training. They are easy to fly, relatively low mx. Wondering why the anti-piper stance or just want to present options??

You can absolutely get an Archer II or 180 for under $60k. I sold one this year so I should know. A mid time Archer II with GPS, original/paint&interior in good condition should be in the $50-$60k range just generally speaking. A cherokee 180 ought to be less than that. Don't get too hung up on the asking prices on the for sale sites, I think a lot of those guys are grossly inflating their advertised pricing in hopes someone will bid high to get *the* airplane. I can say I had no trouble selling mine, I got 3 offers within about a week. They are definitely in demand though so the hunt may take some time and get a bit frustrating.

They're popular for a reason. It's an easy to handle trainer that is cheap to maintain and operate(for an airplane) and is still quite capable of going on a long cross country. I can name bigger/better/faster airplanes easily but there aren't many as capable for the cost to acquire and operate.

That kind of Money can buy a crapload of Mooney. I know the OP said fixed gear, but the Mooney gives a whole lot more bang for the buck. Just sayin'

That kind of Money can buy a crapload of Mooney. I know the OP said fixed gear, but the Mooney gives a whole lot more bang for the buck. Just sayin'

He can find a crap load of old crap Mooney’s for 60k.

Love my 180hp Piper Archer II. I bought 2 years ago for just under $60K as IFR capable, GNS430, leather seats, original paint, ~200 hours on the engine (now over 300). I'll sell it to you for $100k! :)

There's no real use of the rear seat in a PA32, so just get your RV6 now. You'll be glad you did!

[This from the my plane is better than yours department]

There's no real use of the rear seat in a PA32, so just get your RV6 now. You'll be glad you did!

[This from the my plane is better than yours department]
real airplanes have the seats one behind the other and no training wheel on the front. get a RV-4.......:)

I did tell him RV6, not 6A. :)

At his price point the 8 isn't happening. I don't know how much traveling I'd do in a 4.

[4 was the first RV I almost owned]

My post may have helped. Some great feedback and a possible plane for me to buy.

What the others said. Find a Grumman. Great little plane. Doesn't have the trainer stigma. Fast. Nimble. And best of all, it's a low wing!

I have yet to fly in an RV that's big enough for me. Can't stretch out my legs. Some of that is probably on the builders that leave zero room between the rudder bars/pedals/whatnot and the floor. It's like sitting int he back seat of a smaller sedan.

Back