My ident button works. Who woulda thunk.

Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Light and Sporty Guy
As far as I can remember (yea, I know, that's not very far), I have never pushed that button before. Ever. Really. But I got asked to push it yesterday. (OK, I don't often hang around towered airports. But I did talk to a tower, class C approach and a TRSA approach yesterday - pretty sure that's a new record for me also. )

Turns out a little light lights up for a couple seconds and my transponder actually sent an "ident" code.

:)

As far as I can remember (yea, I know, that's not very far), I have never pushed that button before. Ever. Really. But I got asked to push it yesterday. (OK, I don't often hang around towered airports. But I did talk to a tower, class C approach and a TRSA approach yesterday - pretty sure that's a new record for me also. )

Turns out a little light lights up for a couple seconds and my transponder actually sent an "ident" code.

:)

Aha. Another PoAer discovers the burden of unlimited potential.

Next thing ya know Capt Geoff will routinely be asking for flight following, and thinking about an ADS-B install. :eek:
It's a slippery slope. :D

Did you tell ATC "With the flash"?
No. Is that a "thing"?

It did get kinda crazy - like changing the transponder code and stuff. Great Lakes Approach even asked me if I wanted to get handed off to Detroit Approach - but hey, let's not get carried away...

No. Is that a "thing"?

It did get kinda crazy - like changing the transponder code and stuff. Great Lakes Approach even asked me if I wanted to get handed off to Detroit Approach - but hey, let's not get carried away...
You will make a great pilot some day once you can handle everything. LOL

I wasn't talking to center but I had them dialed up. I heard him call me (type unknown) to a crossing airliner. I punched IDENT. The controller made a comment to the other aircraft.

“Here’s your flash”

Is that phrasing in the "Pirate" section of the AIM? LOL
If by AIM, you mean the Arrrr-onautical Information Manual, then yes.

What's prohibited is "Ahoy ye scallywags, if ye be in the vicinity, pipe up."

If by AIM, you mean the Arrrr-onautical Information Manual, then yes.

What's prohibited is "Ahoy ye scallywags, if ye be in the vicinity, pipe up."

Ok, that was funny. New acronym "AYSIYBITVPU".

I wasn't talking to center but I had them dialed up. I heard him call me (type unknown) to a crossing airliner. I punched IDENT. The controller made a comment to the other aircraft.

Now I would never have thought of that, using the IDENT button unbeckoned, to say “ I hear you talking about me, but I’m not talking to you.”

But I’m just curious, why is it that they still say “type unknown,” when ADS-B announces everything about us anyway?

Now I would never have thought of that, using the IDENT button unbeckoned, to say “ I hear you talking about me, but I’m not talking to you.”

But I’m just curious, why is it that they still say “type unknown,” when ADS-B announces everything about us anyway?
Not everybody has ADS-B. Further, I'm not sure ATC radar will populate the info for aircraft they're not working.

Back