Flying in Northern Europe

Rebel Lord

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rebel Lord
Me and my brother are planning on going to Belgium and I was thinking about renting an airplane for local VFR sight seeing.

Anyone know where in Belgium I can rent an airplane and also how different is flying in Europe versus us specifically vfr

I’ve only flown once while living here (Germany). From what I can tell you can only land at airports that have a manned tower. Even the grass strips they have a mini tower with a radio that the club mans to coordinate traffic.

And good luck with the accents. And all the landing fees.

Check out the euroGA forum. They'll point you in the right direction.

Check out the Royal Antwerp Aviation Club. They might take you. As far as I know, all aviation in Western Europe is done via clubs. There are no rental outfits like the US.

Flight schools usually double as rental outfits, at least in the UK.

Rules vary somewhat by country, but in general:
You must hold a full pilots licence, medical and class rating (e.g. single engine land) issued by an ICAO member state.
You demonstrate to an examiner that you are familiar with local air law and ATC procedures.
You do not fly the aircraft outside of the state of registry.
You can then be granted a time limited authorisation to fly applicable aircraft on their registry.

The alternative is to find someone who will rent you a US registered aircraft and fly under the privileges of your US licence. There are a few but not many.

Back