Time Building

Skymac

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Justin
How much is everyone flying per month? I’m fixing to kick it in high gear but lord it’s going to be expensive. Personally working on multi-time in some friends twins.

None. Waiting on medical.... But then, will fly twice a week + with cfi to sand off the oxidization (near 20 years worth!). And then, God willing, enough to stay proficient..

I’m averaging about 8 hours a month although after the trip to Oshkosh my flying has slowed down this month to let the bank account get back to a normal balance.

I’m shooting for 50, really trying to ramp it, being a cfi helps though, last month was 39

my last flight was on July 30....

and its been awesome flying weather at least 4 days a week since then....

:oops::oops:

About 70-80/year, so on average 6-7/month.

I flew for an hour last Friday, first time in almost 3 months. It's been so hot and with my work schedule, its a challenge to make room for flying. The only time I can fly is early in the morning or late at night. If I'm on days that week, early in the morning is out and a 0430 wake up means I'm in bed before it cools off enough for night. If I'm on nights (3pm-11pm) I'm asleep in the mornings and too tired to fly after work.

It's all excuses

You're supposed to schedule all upgrades in the winter months!
+1
Ours is in Dark November. There are like 5 flyable days in November. I think there are 2 flyable days in December. But no matter what month you know it will somehow be nice if the annual takes more than 4 days.

Flying about 5-8hrs per month right now. Will slow down a lot in a few months.

little over 90 hours in last 12 months.. its going to slow down for me as well... quite a bit

not building time

+1
Ours is in Dark November. There are like 5 flyable days in November. I think there are 2 flyable days in December. But no matter what month you know it will somehow be nice if the annual takes more than 4 days.

One good thing about living where I do is that you can fly almost every day of the year. Unfortunately I only fly about 4-6 hours per month. Hope to change that since starting to get serious about my instrument ticket.

Yea, flying a baron around at 19” Damn thing is thirsty compared to my decathlon

Trust me I would fly five hours a day if I could but I can barely do five hours a month. Work, wife, life are all in the way. The operating cost for my Mooney is about $50/hr (just fuel). Add in MY cheap hangar rental and annual I have $3700 in fixed costs. For my 50-60hrs a year in “Time Building” my effective operating rate is $125/hr. I’m better off selling the plane for $40-45k and paying as I go with a flying club that charges $35/hr dry for an IFR Warrior II.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What is the breaking point for time-building with a twin vs single? Like, once you hit minimum hiring thresholds for ME time, is it “throwing away money” to fly more twin time versus flying more single time at much lower cost? I see many cargo firms have a minimum of 20-50hrs of ME.
Let’s say there is a $15k budget for time building. Bill and Sally each have 10hrs ME with IFR ratings and 300hrs TT. Bill chooses to do 40hrs of twin building at $200/hr (to hit 50hrs ME) and then spend the rest of the money with a single at $80/hr. Sally spends all of the cash on twin time building. Sally gets 75hrs of ME time so now she has 375 TT with 85 ME. Bill will have 427.5 TT with 50 ME.
Who is better off?

I see many cargo firms have a minimum of 20-50hrs of ME.

In rough hiring times, if they could, they’d list 0. That’s their insurance company’s lower limit. Not theirs.

Depending on the job, you may have easily doubled those numbers in your first month. Which is why the low end is so weird in aviation.

Think about it. 50 hours is less time than most professionals spend in a single work week at any other job. The actuaries say, “Yeah um, we see a rather large spike in claims when pilots don’t even have the equivalent of the amount of time I spent at my desk figuring this out, this week.”

Hahaha. I don’t know where the money break even is for any particular person, but I knew people who bought light twins and flew them hundreds of hours all over the place getting tons of XC and weather and maintenance experience in them in the 90s when nobody was hiring. Nowadays you wouldn’t need to do that for very long.

If you show up with minimum hours and nobody else beat you in the hiring process, and you don’t scare the chief pilot at most of these places, you won’t be at minimum hours for very long.

What you need if you’re targeting a certain job is insider info about whether they’re really hiring at minimums. If they have a pool of ME pilots to pull from with considerably more hours, what’s on the website may just be window dressing for years when they don’t.

What is the breaking point for time-building with a twin vs single? Like, once you hit minimum hiring thresholds for ME time, is it “throwing away money” to fly more twin time versus flying more single time at much lower cost? I see many cargo firms have a minimum of 20-50hrs of ME.
Let’s say there is a $15k budget for time building. Bill and Sally each have 10hrs ME with IFR ratings and 300hrs TT. Bill chooses to do 40hrs of twin building at $200/hr (to hit 50hrs ME) and then spend the rest of the money with a single at $80/hr. Sally spends all of the cash on twin time building. Sally gets 75hrs of ME time so now she has 375 TT with 85 ME. Bill will have 427.5 TT with 50 ME.
Who is better off?

Sally because she is female

How much is everyone flying per month? I’m fixing to kick it in high gear but lord it’s going to be expensive. Personally working on multi-time in some friends twins.
I know some pilots did incentive building time nearly every day flying 8 hours and continued for about one week.

About 10-11 hours this month so far. Scheduled tomorrow for another 2ish.

Back