I hate mowing.

CharlieD3

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
CharlieD3
I might not mind it so much if I were, say, mowing my own 2400' grass strip... But alas, I'm mowing my little 2 acres. I can pretend I'm on final approach as I mow down hill on the vacant acre... But, yaknow, it just ain't the same... It'd be a beautiful day to fly...

Soon enough I s'pose... Looking like year's end, based on the speed of Uncle Sam and his medical team... I'll get there.

Soon enough... Or not... I'll fly again.

I’m not a big fan of mowing either, but we recently got a Cub Cadet Zero Turn and thats made it much more tolerable.

I’m not a big fan of mowing either, but we recently got a Cub Cadet Zero Turn and thats made it much more tolerable.
Had a CC commercial zero turn up in Iowa... Moved down here got a Cub Cadet lawn tractor.. miss the zero turn.... But I'll run this one into dust before I spend AMUs on a mower.

Also bought a ZTR because it was painful to drive the tractor.

ZTR: Make Mowing Great Again!

LOL.

Moved to a Condo, the grass always looks good. Gives me more good days to fly.

47863948_303.jpg

What the......oh, nevermind.

I can pretend I'm on final approach as I mow down hill on the vacant acre... But, yaknow, it just ain't the same...

Try pretending you're an ag pilot doing repeated low passes. :)

I bought SWMBO a riding weedeater, but it's proven to be a very expensive way to do a poor job of grass cutting...

upload_2019-8-31_14-1-44.png

I wondered if you were the same Timbeck2... Ha, small world.. I'm also known as oakchas....

I haven't been back there in years. Only a couple of times since I bought my plane. I miss woodworking (Still have all my tools) but there isn't enough time in the day for both.

Last edited:
Get the homeless to mow for you. 9 out of 10 "homeless" that I see are just looking for a handout.

Get the homeless to mow for you. 9 out of 10 "homeless" that I see are just looking for a handout.
That’s just it - If you offered them a job flipping burgers at McDonald’s, they’d turn it down, but they’ll accept the free handout. I never give a dime to those panhandlers along side the road. To them I say ‘GO GET A JOB LIKE THE REST OF US!’

What would happen if you did not mow that two acres? Besides saving a ton on equipment costs, gas/oil/batteries, your free time and helping the environment?
(I ask, because I have my own reasons to mow way too much.)
Perhaps an HOA requirement? (much of mine is firebreak, some is aesthetics)
One of the best things that happened to me this year is a client did not pay me. Said client is really good with a weedeater. Yay.

What would happen if you did not mow that two acres? Besides saving a ton on equipment costs, gas/oil/batteries, your free time and helping the environment?
(I ask, because I have my own reasons to mow way too much.)
Perhaps an HOA requirement? (much of mine is firebreak, some is aesthetics)
One of the best things that happened to me this year is a client did not pay me. Said client is really good with a weedeater. Yay.

On mine erosion starts because the taller grasses kill the shorter stuff that fills in better and the tall stuff leaves a lot of dirt open waiting to be washed away.

Also the y’all stuff along the fence lines causes weird problems with snow drifts in winter because they start acting as very effective snow fences.

On mine erosion starts because the taller grasses kill the shorter stuff that fills in better and the tall stuff leaves a lot of dirt open waiting to be washed away.
Plus, the taller grass attracts snakes and various other creatures, which opens up another can of worms for infestations around your home.

Hate mowing.?? Go with a retro mower....

0e75358c1fcc907b98d4d8b91b349da0.jpg

Why did this never catch on? The 1950s was a time for an optimistic view of a better tomorrow. And what could make suburban life better than a futuristic air conditioned lawn mower. On Oct. 14, 1957, the future of lawn mowing took a new turn with the addition of a beautiful air conditioned bubble; the rider could cut the lawn while looking like a creature in some sort of futuristic zoo while riding in a clear five foot sphere. Not only was this appliance air conditioned, but it also had an electrical generator that powered such life necessities as a radio telephone and a chilled drink dispenser.

You may be surprised to learn this, but there are people out there that make their living mowing other people’s lawns. Call one up. Setup an appointment. Never worry about mowing your own lawn again.

Similar methods work for those that hate cooking and cleaning (among other things).

The down-side of the above mentioned methods are that they do thin out your wallet.

Here was my solution to my mowing getting bothersome...but it kind of snowballed....got three Lamancha whethers, then began hearing more coyotes, so got the llama as a guard animal... all very cool critters. Goats do challenge fences tho...old saying amongst goaters: “if your fence will hold water it’ll hold goats”. Goats are also tough on trees.
8A986C72-07E2-4972-9B0A-FBEC8064786C.jpeg

I haven't been back there in years. Only a couple of times since I bought my plane. I miss woodworking (Still have all my tools) but there isn't enough time in the day for both.
I haven't been there either... Life got in the way.. now that I'm semi retired, and getting back into the air, I don't know if I'll keep all my tools, or sell them for AMUs...

We'll see what happens...

But, I'll always be an igit. I earned that by going to Des Moines with the rest of the igits back then....

I don't remember you ever mentioning that you were a pilot but then again, why would it come up? Nice to "see" you again.

Also bought a ZTR because it was painful to drive the tractor.

ZTR: Make Mowing Great Again!

LOL.
Zero turns are nasty on side hills. I should have kept my small White tractor. (My big one ain't suitable for sidehills, as it's a real tractor.)

I don't mind the mowing. I mind the mulching, weeding, hedges etc.

I gots me about an acre and a self-propelled push mower and an electric weedwacker. I've got more time than money, so I will keep kinda pushing and weed eating within 125 feet of my outside electric outlet.

I miss living on a boat. If I woke up with grass around me I had much larger things to worry about than cutting it.

I'm glad my HOA doesn't care about lawns and my 'lawn'(aka weed and grass patch) is not visible from the street. I think it needs more water during the summer, but I don't care nearly enough to waste water on it. Maybe I'll just seed it with wildflower mix for next year.

I don't remember you ever mentioning that you were a pilot but then again, why would it come up? Nice to "see" you again.
Likewise... "I are a pilot" just seems too braggadocios... I'm proud of being one... But also thought I'd never do it again

I'm glad my HOA doesn't care about lawns and my 'lawn'(aka weed and grass patch) is not visible from the street. I think it needs more water during the summer, but I don't care nearly enough to waste water on it. Maybe I'll just seed it with wildflower mix for next year.

Pretty sure flowers need water, too. ;)

I love mowing. I grab a sweet tea, put on my cowboy hat and my ear buds with some country music, then hop on the tractor. I’m actually sad I can mow my 2.5 acres in an hour.

Attachments

• 3FA2A487-1A06-4D2D-B81B-BF2DEF1E7F33.jpeg
    3FA2A487-1A06-4D2D-B81B-BF2DEF1E7F33.jpeg
    286.7 KB · Views: 26
I love mowing. I like raking leaves. Love planting grass and reclaiming brushy areas, cutting down trees (old, dead ones, or smaller saplings that are in the way of my planned cleared areas.) I love sitting by the firepit and seeing all my nicely mowed grass. Just over a year ago the grassy area in the pic was wooded and thick with undergrowth. Lots and lots of cutting, hauling, and raking out the layers and layers of dead leaves and pine needles got me down to nice loamy soil so I could plant more grass to mow!

Attachments

• IMG_4228.jpg
    IMG_4228.jpg
    401.1 KB · Views: 25
Back