The big move!

Ahhh....

I see now. You are speaking about traveling, not living. Yes, in fact I was in Cali for two weeks last month and had a blast. Saw my friends, ate some great food, enjoyed my old haunts. I travelled there and left as well.

But living their again? Naw.... I’ve tasted freedom. In fact, the only way I was able to buy my own plane was after I moved out. And that was on the same gross income. A dollar has far more value to a mans life when he realizes the suits have been talking half of it behind his back. If you are OK with that, well, OK. Wrap yourself in the comfort of that California flag. But also realize you would be able to live so much more by trading it in for one of 40 other flags available to you, like I did.

I live just fine in California; I've made a good wage through my career and the higher cost of living is not an issue. And wrapping myself in the flag? Yes, please! That bear fur is sooo plush and cozy!

Thank you for your concern. Live and let live, I say.

I live just fine in California; I've made a good wage through my career and the higher cost of living is not an issue. And wrapping myself in the flag? Yes, please! That bear fur is sooo plush and cozy!

Thank you for your concern. Live and let live, I say.

So did I... Till I found out what being an American meant. Pretty obvious you are very happy where you are at. Good for you. I just do anything I can to show people the light. Keep making that NASCAR circuit I guess.

So did I... Till I found out what being an American meant. Pretty obvious you are very happy where you are at. Good for you. I just do anything I can to show people the light. Keep making that NASCAR circuit I guess.

Rest assured...I am an American through and through.

There are career fields you can work in and get a job anywhere. There are other career fields where your choices might be limited to 4 or 5 companies. If those companies are all located on the west coast and in the northeast, then living for pennies on the dollar in bumf*ck Alabama isn't really an option unless you want to abandon your field and be a nightshift Walmart manager.
This is one of the few reasons I'm glad I work in computers, I can work from anywhere with an internet connection because there aren't any actual jobs in the places I want to live.

I also live and work among many more people who are very open about their hate of those who don't look like them or vote like them or observe religion like them.
The people you encounter are openly telling you that they *hate* people who don’t look like them or worship like them?

The word hate seems to have been recently redefined to mean something quite different than it used to.

I lived in California for 46 years. Cost of living, in particular taxes is why I don't anymore. I never felt 'unfree' there. What things couldn't you do in California that you can in Michigan?
Off the top of my head....
Buy ammunition w/o big brother knowing, approving, recording it
Buy a gun without an anal probe
Carry a gun, if you so choose
Buy a dog or cat from a know source (I usually have rescues, mutts etc, but CA just banned all sales of bred dogs in the state at stores)
Use a plastic straw if i want to
Not be required to put solar panels on a new house
Use a plastic bag (single use bags banned a couple years ago)
Have a Hamster or gerbil
Ride Dirt bikes I want...try to get new ORV stickers for certain bikes or areas

And thats just the tip of the iceberg...If you went up the chain of products and services in CA and looked at how each thing was regulated, banned, licensed, etc and figure how choices are limited and costs are increased...its amazing.

And I assure you you are breaking several state and local laws for something right this instant, just sitting in your house....something to do with too many vehicles in a residential area, too much paint thinner in your garage, a lawn mower without CARB approval...something. the fact your not fined or in jail right now is only due to big brothers current lack of interest.

I like NYS, at least most of the areas where I've lived. The Adirondaks are amazing, the North Country is beautiful, I'm a winter guy so the climate is awesome to me, the central part of the state has enough small cities to do fun city things, but you can be out in the rolling hills hiking, climbing, backpacking, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, etc. in a matter of minutes, there's lakes to sail on, lake and ocean beaches, we have all four seasons at their absolute best... very cold and lots of snow in winter, very warm and sunny in summer, great fall colors, a vibrant spring (OK... I hate spring.. nothing but mud and black flies... but my wife loves spring). It's a great place to live.

It's the people in the government I can't stand. Ruins the whole thing. I'd probably feel the same way about California.. never been there, but I bet there's stunning areas. I've got no use, personally, for large cities in general, but I'd love to see the other parts. I could never live there. Now, Texas, I could live there... but I hate the climate. LOVED the people.

We've been to lots of different places on this planet, and there is no place like the Adirondacks. Born and raised, living here again after 20 years away, and we won't be leaving. All of the activities you mentioned (minus the ocean) are right out our back door. Taxes are taxes wherever you go. If you don't pay for one thing, you'll end up paying more for another. It all works out. I've been to California, and there's really nothing wrong with California. It's the Californians that are the problem. ;)

Hoboken? I think the nearest place to rent is Caldwell as mentioned earlier. I don't think Linden rents planes, either. Look at Morristown (KMMU), too. I also recommend N51. You can take NJ transit to work, depending on where you choose to live. Traffic? Coming from CA, you'll be used to it. They like to stretch a yellow light well into red. There's a lot of things to do when based in NJ. Delaware Water Gap, Appalachian trail, NYC. with a plane you can fly to Block Island (KBID), Montauk (KMTP), Ocean City NJ (26N). Heck, Martha's Vinyard (KMVY) and ProvinceTown (KPVC) on Cape Cod is doable, be aware it's a queer little town.

Easy access to NYC, Philadelphia.

The nice thing about the USA is that there is so much variety. Don't like the laws in CA or MI? You're free to live elsewhere. No place on earth is perfect, so find a place which suits you best.
I didn't see the cause for the move, but best of luck with it!.

no, it should be compared to that wonderful place called fresno, or bakersfield...............

Stockton just got all offended. It wants to be the armpit too, ya know.....

The people you encounter are openly telling you that they *hate* people who don’t look like them or worship like them?

The word hate seems to have been recently redefined to mean something quite different than it used to.
Nope you got me there. I don't believe I've actually heard anyone use the word hate. When I hear someone say they wish it was legal to shoot and/or kill {insert group of people], I tend to equate that with hate. I could be wrong on that and far be it from me to want to contribute to redefining the word hate to mean something it didn't used to mean. And yes I have heard that said by more than one individual. Quite a few more in fact. Can't say that was an experience I had growing up in the region so many here seem to dislike so much.

Last edited:

Nope you got me there. I don't believe I've actually heard anyone use the word hate. When I hear someone say they wish it was legal to shoot and/or kill {insert group of people], I tend to equate that with hate. I could be wrong on that and far be it from me to want to contribute to redefining the word hate to mean something it didn't used to mean. And yes I have heard that said by more than one individual. Quite a few more in fact. Can't say that was an experience I had growing up in the region so many here seem to dislike so much.
Fellas, let’s be careful not to get off topic here.

To be fair, nobody that I can see, has any animosity toward the demographic of people who live in the region. Most would just choose not to live there for various other personal reasons.

When I hear someone say they wish it was legal to shoot and/or kill {insert group of people],
Or just ignorant people speaking foolishly. I don’t know where you live, but I’ve spent my entire life in the South and Midwest and if I’ve ever heard the talk you allude to, it’s only from the Jerry Springer element of society. I don’t consider them representative of any group except for the severely dysfunctional. But what I do see is an eagerness to represent disagreement as hatred.

Fellas, let’s be careful not to get off topic here.

To be fair, nobody that I can see, has any animosity toward the demographic of people who live in the region. Most would just choose not to live there for various other personal reasons.
Not for nothing but that is some world class diplomacy right there. I don't think I've ever heard a better version of 'Just because I say I can't stand people who are just like you, it doesn't mean I can't stand you..' in my life. Bravo.

Or just ignorant people speaking foolishly.
No argument. But the observation still stands. I never heard that kind of thing where I grew up. I hear it more often than I care to admit here. I strongly suspect there were a relatively equal number of those who disagree in both places. Seems to be something about the midwest where people are quick to assume that if you look like them, you also vote like them and take the same view on other races as them and they're therefore not at all shy about telling you what they think on those subjects and they tend to assume you'll find their inappropriate jokes just as funny as they do.

Agree.

Trying to compare the armpit of Hoboken, New Jersey to the beautiful Golden State is such an apples to oranges comparison. I really hate to be negative, but it’s just the truth.
Though the western half of NJ is very beautiful, rural, heavily forested, lot of hills, back-country, hunting and fishing. A lot more attractive than say, downtown Sacramento or LA or Fresno, places where I was trapped for various periods earlier in life.

Though the western half of NJ is very beautiful, rural, heavily forested, lot of hills, back-country, hunting and fishing. A lot more attractive than say, downtown Sacramento or LA or Fresno, places where I was trapped for various periods earlier in life.
Again, that’s greatly debatable. I would live just about anywhere in California over NJ - but that’s just me. Summers are nice in Northeast, but the winters are unbearable. It’s just not my cup ‘o tea.

As soon as my parents' house was sold, my sister moved out of the Bay Area and deep into the Sierra Nevada mountains.

She does not go into town very often, since the subhuman scum from the coastal areas have moved in and begun the decay of what was once a cool gold rush town.

The decay of modern society has infiltrated everywhere. It is equal opportunity, so nobody is left out...

no, it should be compared to that wonderful place called fresno, or bakersfield...............

Fresno and Bakersfield are kinda nice when you compare them to cities in most other states, sadly. They just don't hold a candle to San Diego, Los Angeles and San Francisco.

I'm a member of Paramus Flying club. Great club with a 6month wait list. That said, I also know someone over at Lincoln park, N07, with a '73 Archer w/ g500, 430w and aero 796. Beautiful plane.

If you like Cirrus P6 out of Caldwell. They're all g5 and g6 models, so be prepared to pay for the newness.

PM me and I'll happily show you around and make introductions.

I also live and work among many more people who are very open about their hate of those who don't look like them or vote like them or observe religion like them. I'm not complaining about that, its just an observation that goes to show no place is without down sides.

I live in a place like that too, Massachusetts. The sad thing is the people open about their hate, actually they are fanatical about their hate, think they are "tolerant" and beyond reproach.

I “lived” in White House Station, NJ for a year (Sunday night through Friday afternoon) commuting from Denver. Drove from Newark Sunday night in the dark and never ceased to be amazed that it wasn’t concrete jungle when the sun came up Monday morning. Still couldn’t wait to get home to Colorado, though.
Good luck with the move.

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. I appreciate leads for looking into where a good place to rent aircraft would be.
For those that offered to show me around and/or make some introductions, I sincerely appreciate the offer, and will certainly take you up on it.

Thanks again!

Back