My First GoPro Test Flight

Mooney Fan

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Mooney Fan
Putting some videos together for my Dad who has been a pilot for 64 years. I recorded it in 1080P but since I live in the sticks the satellite upload (we have no fiber out here) I think the quality suffered. Youtube defaults it to 320 but selecting 720 or 1080p in settings helps. First part is a little shaky but improves once on the taxiway

Anyway, no flaps landing and engine out.... conveniently on the downwind lol....

Errors noted
- I say I have tower dialed up when its actually local CTAF 122.8
- 'Lean it out'... for me, that means enrich... it's the redneck version lol
- I'm a little off center line on the no flap landing but I blamed it on the nose high view.. Yea, that's it ;)

Takeaways- I need a smaller suction cup mount so I can mount to the windshield. The one in the kit is crap

Carry on... and pile on as required

No pile on here.... Needs a bit of editing... Watch it with captions on... Whole lotta "Carrol county one nighters" copious (applause) after every radio transmission! Great fun! Thanks for the vid.

Begin and end with Carrol County...otherwise, you fly a Cherokee, what could be wrong with that?

Fun stuff! Don't be too hard on yourself about radio flubs, etc. Whenever I turn the GoPro on myself and review the video later, I'm always amazed at the dumb stuff I say! :) I need to reduce the "uhs" and pauses in my transmissions and the camera is a great tool to sharpen this.

I really like experimenting with different angles and camera locations. I want to try the "wheel pant cam" next...ought to give a nice view of touchdown. I had a mount by the rear tie-down, but it was only good for 30 minutes or so, until the oil mist from the exhaust blurred the lens.

Here's a video I made with the GoPro facing rearward, on top of the canopy, for a zoom climb out of French Valley (F70). It's toward the end of the video.

Back