ADS-B Ghost?

Turbo-Arrow-Driver

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Turbo-Arrow Owner
I installed ADS-B out earlier this year. I got the FAA report and all looks great.

Recently, I've noticed that someone else seems to be transmitting my 24-bit ICAO code. Flight aware is saying that my last flight is 1500 miles away from where the A/C is really located.

So, I'm assuming that's cuz another ADS-B unit has been incorrectly configured with the ICAO code.

Is that likely what's going on? What can I do about it?

I have the same thing happen. I'm in MS and my tail number pops up every now and then in south Florida. Either wrong ICAO code or wrong number put in a flight plan. I always keep note of this just incase they do something stupid! Heck the first time this happened I thought my plane was stolen and had a line guy go to my hangar for me and confirm it was there.

Some states will actually use this type of data and send you a "use fee" or something like that. You were there unless proven otherwise.

Are you sure it's an ADS-B hit vs just some controller fat fingering something when entering info? The flight aware details should show whether it was a radar feed or an ADS-B receiver that picked it up. I had a flight that appeared to be my airplane, but flight aware was just tracking it via their feed from FAA radar, and not their ADS-B network, so it was just a typo somewhere in the system. If it is showing tracking via ADS-B network, then that would be a little more concerning, someone would have had to program that code in to the transponder wrong and it likely won't get fixed until the FAA notices the discrepancy and sends them a letter.

I feel sorry for whoever has a transposition of my tail number (5s and 9s are confusing apparently) because ATC almost never gets mine right on the first try, and sometimes never during VFR flight following. IFR I seem to have better luck, but ATC still gets tongue-tied on occasion. Its been bad enough over the years I've considered changing my number.

Are you sure it's an ADS-B hit vs just some controller fat fingering something when entering info? The flight aware details should show whether it was a radar feed or an ADS-B receiver that picked it up. I had a flight that appeared to be my airplane, but flight aware was just tracking it via their feed from FAA radar, and not their ADS-B network, so it was just a typo somewhere in the system. If it is showing tracking via ADS-B network, then that would be a little more concerning, someone would have had to program that code in to the transponder wrong and it likely won't get fixed until the FAA notices the discrepancy and sends them a letter.

Good question. The Flightaware track log only shows two hits...but I don't know how to tell if these are sourced from ADS-B or maybe an older Mode-C transponder...? Any idea how I could figure that out?

Normally, If you click on the track log for a flight, it’ll report the source of each position it has. Like “xxx center” or “flight aware ads-b network”

See the 2 screenshots below one is a mode-c that just comes through tracon/center/etc and the other from ads-b network

Attachments

• 66ED0628-2A37-4247-9C5D-CE1B490E8DE7.png
    66ED0628-2A37-4247-9C5D-CE1B490E8DE7.png
    281.5 KB · Views: 12
  • D01C2EA9-A585-4256-9B0F-1F80A723C635.png
    D01C2EA9-A585-4256-9B0F-1F80A723C635.png
    282.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Thanks! -- It says Albuquerque Center next to the two hits...so I guess it was just someone getting the tail number wrong for flight following...

I wonder what would happen if both tail numbers were in the system or airborne at the same time...
martha.jpg

Back