Avg time for ME rating?

6t6

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
North Bound
Trying to put a figure on the cost of a ME rating. What would you say is the average time to get a ME rating assuming 0 ME time to checkride? Complex no IR. 300 TT
Chuck Yeager's aside

Last edited:
Trying to put a figure on the cost of a ME rating. What would you say is the average time to get a ME rating assuming 0 ME time to checkride? Chuck Yeager's aside

What is your experience? Complex etc? What airplane do you want to do it in?

Seems most of the accelarated schools do it in 5 to 10 hrs. If you study ahead and chairfly the engine out then 5 hrs is probably good.

The hardest thing for me was doing single engine in actual cause i was 2 years removed from any ifr stuff.

Budget 10 hours.

Be prepared for some of the experts on this forum who did it in 1/10 that time, and they'll be by shortly to let you know that. ;)

I did a weekend course. Total multi time with the checkride was a little over 7 hours. I agree budget for 10 hours

Flight school near where I live is advertising 10 hours, about 5K in cost. Plane is a Piper Seminole.

I just re-read where you don't have your instrument yet.

If you get Multi first, you'll need to re-do your multi after the instrument to keep that in line.

I'd recommend Instrument first, multi after.

Someone smarter than me will come along shortly, and expand on that or correct me.

Did mine in a weekend as well. Probably could have finished in a day if we hadn't run out of daylight. 6k is about the going rate to include the check ride fee.

Did mine in a weekend as well. Probably could have finished in a day if we hadn't run out of daylight. 6k is about the going rate to include the check ride fee.
6K!? I did mine with Tom at Traverse Air a few years ago for around 3K including checkride. Great operation and great instructor.

Did it last year for around $4,000 and $500 checkride. 10 hrs.

1957 Piper Apache

Nice..wouldn't mind doing mine in that at some point. I have two flight schools near me. One has the Seminole and the other has a Seneca. I had a few people comment that the Seneca was a poor choice for ME training due to complexity, but no idea if that holds any water.

1957 Piper Apache
i'm either going with him and bring the family for a vacation, or there's a local guy with a travel air. I'm also non-instrument rated, but might get around to the ME before the IR, realizing that I'll need to redo the multi-IR checkride at some point later.

there's a surprising amount of twin owners that are VFR

It might have been less, I can't remember. It was in a Baron. I paid more to fast track it than what you would traditionally pay to do it over the course of several weeks for 1-2 hours a day.

Nice..wouldn't mind doing mine in that at some point. I have two flight schools near me. One has the Seminole and the other has a Seneca. I had a few people comment that the Seneca was a poor choice for ME training due to complexity, but no idea if that holds any water.
In my very limited experience it was a very easy plane to get used to and felt very forgiving. Good luck!

i'm either going with him and bring the family for a vacation, or there's a local guy with a travel air. I'm also non-instrument rated, but might get around to the ME before the IR, realizing that I'll need to redo the multi-IR checkride at some point later.

I definitely recommend Tom. He sends you all the study material a few weeks before you meet him. He’s a very patient guy and top notch instructor. It’s pretty much a guaranteed pass.

The Seneca should not be that big a deal. All the same principals apply. It's a Piper, so not super demanding to fly imo. Biggest issue its probably more expensive than the Seminole for the same outcome.

Personally, I like the Apache idea! Everybody who can fly a twin should have some time in one of those in their logbook. :D

I did mine at one of those weekend course deals. I can't remember the number that's in my logbook for total multi but its under 8 hours. And I recall thinking the CFI's watch must spin a lot faster than mine every time he wrote times down in my book at the end of the flight.

It goes without saying that I would not trust me to fly any kind of twin. I wouldn't even let me look at one up close.

If you get Multi first, you'll need to re-do your multi after the instrument to keep that in line.

Someone smarter than me will come along shortly, and expand on that or correct me.

You are correct, I got my multi prior to my instrument (of course there is a story). Once I got my IR, I never flew the twin because I wanted to keep sharp on the IR and had better equipment in the 182. Purchased a 310Q last year and took my multi commercial check ride and did the single engine approaches to remover the multi vfr only limitation.

It can be done, but easier to get the IR first.

It would certainly surprise me. It seems backwards, although in thinking about it, I can't explain why I feel that way.

I did Sheble's in 2008. Literally 3 flights and then a checkride in a Travel Air. I recall $3500 or so. I had about 300 hours in Bonanza at the time, and the Be95 flew darn near identically to my Vtail, which eased my training load significantly.

I'd go one further and suggest doing your SE commercial first if you ever think you might want/meed the ME commercial. The commercial ME ride is pretty much identical to the private. Or put another way, the differences are not significant enough to be memorable!

I did mine in May, 4 non-consecutive days over 2 weeks. 7 hrs + checkride $3k

It would certainly surprise me. It seems backwards, although in thinking about it, I can't explain why I feel that way.

I did Sheble's in 2008. Literally 3 flights and then a checkride in a Travel Air. I recall $3500 or so. I had about 300 hours in Bonanza at the time, and the Be95 flew darn near identically to my Vtail, which eased my training load significantly.
it seems counterintuitive, but I know a fair number of them, as a percentage of twin owners I know. I think all but 1 has plans to get his IR, but isn't there yet

I've got my SE and ME, but haven't flown in many years. Going to get my SE current, then work on an IFR rating. If I then get my commercial, I would essentially need 2 check rides, correct (one for SE and one for ME)? If so, would I be able to add the IFR to my ME during the commercial check ride?

So in the amount of time this thread has run, you’re finished, right? ;-)

Trying to put a figure on the cost of a ME rating. What would you say is the average time to get a ME rating assuming 0 ME time to checkride? Complex no IR. 300 TT
Chuck Yeager's aside

$4000. $60 for a book, 4 hours ground, -10 hours dual, and the test.

I've got my SE and ME, but haven't flown in many years. Going to get my SE current, then work on an IFR rating. If I then get my commercial, I would essentially need 2 check rides, correct (one for SE and one for ME)? If so, would I be able to add the IFR to my ME during the commercial check ride?

Just do the instrument test in a multi engine and you are done.

Mine was quite a bit higher than others at 15.3 although I took about 4 months off at the halfway point. The airplane went down for maintenance for more than a month and when I came back online, it took me several more months before I found the time and motivation to start back up again. We also did a quick XC and a night flight which were not required; without them it probably would have been more like 12 hours. I will say I was probably more prepared than any other checkride I've done; my DPE looked bored during the flight.

Just do the instrument test in a multi engine and you are done.

But if going for a commercial rating, I'd need it in both SE and ME, right? That's why I was wondering if it was possible (better?) to get my commercial ME and instrument ME on the same check ride.

its a poor choice, but not for that reason. complexity is not the issue, its a simple airplane to learn. the problem is its to benign of a twin. with the counter- rotating props it has no critical engine and a nice fat wing so it has a very docile VMC characteristic as light twins go. with a low time instructor that really doesn't know the importance of teaching VMC properly, it breeds pilots that do not really understand how deadly getting below VMC on one engine is. letting a twin commanche or baron get below VMC on one is fatal almost every time.

Flyvetter.com
Harold in Helena, MT is a no BS ME instructor who has it dialed. Low cost, good instruction.

But get the IR done first.

Just my pennies

Budget for ten hours,8 flying and 2 for the check ride. It’s easier if you become familiar with the systems before you do the actual flying.

its a poor choice, but not for that reason. complexity is not the issue, its a simple airplane to learn. the problem is its to benign of a twin. with the counter- rotating props it has no critical engine and a nice fat wing so it has a very docile VMC characteristic as light twins go. with a low time instructor that really doesn't know the importance of teaching VMC properly, it breeds pilots that do not really understand how deadly getting below VMC on one engine is. letting a twin commanche or baron get below VMC on one is fatal almost every time.

Mishandle a Seneca and it'll kill you just as dead as any 310, Baron or Twinkie. Unfortunately, that's been proven the hard way.

Applying your argument to single engine means every ab initio student should be learning to fly in something less docile than a Cub, 172 or Cherokee. Something with a thin wing, a high stall speed and little warning perhaps?

Flyvetter.com
Harold in Helena, MT is a no BS ME instructor who has it dialed. Low cost, good instruction.

But get the IR done first.

Just my pennies

I always hope to find cheaper rates than my main school. But seminoles at 189 wet and instruction at 47, it doesnt seem to get much better than that?

But if going for a commercial rating, I'd need it in both SE and ME, right? That's why I was wondering if it was possible (better?) to get my commercial ME and instrument ME on the same check ride.

You are going to have 3 practical tests minimum.

You are going to have 3 practical tests minimum.

Hmm. Thought I could've gotten my ME instrument sign off the same time as my ME commercial if I already had the ratings in a single. Guess it's a good time to be an examiner.

Hmm. Thought I could've gotten my ME instrument sign off the same time as my ME commercial if I already had the ratings in a single. Guess it's a good time to be an examiner.

You said you were not instrument rated. A instrument checkride can't just be combined with another checkride which is why Clip said 3 minimum - IR, CPASEL, CPAMEL.

If you are instrument rated when you take an ME checkride, it will come with instrument privileges, but there is no such thing as an ME instrument rating.

Back