$5 HUD!!!

Lawson Laslo

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
N2005H
I purchased a HUD from 5 below for $5! It simple reflects your phone onto a clear piece of glass

Works With the stratus horizon pro app in hud mode and a stratus gps

Flew with it today and works great, even in the bright open cockpit with sun on it and works good at night too
6C7910F5-CB09-4407-A280-E48501104240.jpeg E7D465A5-31A8-48D2-A24F-76CC6FC0D2D4.jpeg

That doesn't look very transparent to me but could be the lighting.

I've been eyeing this for a while (no pun intended):
http://grtavionics.com/home/efis-systems/heads-up-display/
I like what I've seen of it so far.

Nauga,
eyeballs out
It’s pretty transparent just the lighting
You could probably get a more transparent one for a little more than 10 dollars
You should definitely try this out if interested in a HUD and have a stratus gps
That grt looks cool but looks like it takes up some room

You fly an Ercoupe, right? No need for a VSI. Keep your eyes outside, fly by attitude and just an occasional look at the instruments.

Yes sir
Just for reference, mainly use for vertical speed because my gauge is off. I have it on right side of panel so it’s not in the way

If your VSI is off you know there’s a little hidden (usually brass) screw right on the side of it that sets the zero point.

Technically you’re supposed to have an A&P do it, but good luck anyone catching you. Yours miraculously healed itself in turbulence on your next flight, didn’t it? LOL.

Anyway, get out the Leatherman and fix it. I’m sure you know where zero is. :)

I will testify under oath to the ALJ that I’ve never fixed one of these in ten seconds to make the damn thing accurate and far less annoying, and definitely not in a rental. Or five.

I’ve only looked at gps based vsi’s while flying commercial, but it has been wildly inaccurate in those situations.

You fly an Ercoupe, right? No need for a VSI. Keep your eyes outside, fly by attitude and just an occasional look at the instruments.
Currently taking flight lessons and he likes me to look at it, got to get prepared for other aircraft and not Just the coupe
If your VSI is off you know there’s a little hidden (usually brass) screw right on the side of it that sets the zero point.

Technically you’re supposed to have an A&P do it, but good luck anyone catching you. Yours miraculously healed itself in turbulence on your next flight, didn’t it? LOL.

Anyway, get out the Leatherman and fix it. I’m sure you know where zero is. :)

I will testify under oath to the ALJ that I’ve never fixed one of these in ten seconds to make the damn thing accurate and far less annoying, and definitely not in a rental. Or five.
I did that still don’t seem to be getting actuate readings

Currently taking flight lessons and he likes me to look at it, got to get prepared for other aircraft and not Just the coupe

Look at VSI for VFR flight? Hmm.

Why not? VFR doesn’t mean devoid of all instruments, just don’t settle focusing on the panel.
Seems opposite of the message most instructors are trying to convey when teaching for PPL.

Seems opposite of the message most instructors are trying to convey when teaching for PPL.
Those instructors are just flat wrong. Proper instruction should teach the student to efficiently be able to utilize the instrument panel, but not settle on it. Eyes outside is key, but that doesn’t mean the instruments are devoid of value. Suggesting that the use of the VSI under VFR ops is prohibited is just wrong.

Some of you would prefer VFR students to fly without looking at, or understanding the meaning of an instrument that's in the basic 6-pack?
Who are these people?

Some aircraft used for training don’t even have a vsi, so I’m not sure why the instructor would be making an issue of looking at one specifically.

Who are these people?

Some aircraft used for training don’t even have a vsi, so I’m not sure why the instructor would be making an issue of looking at one specifically.

Maybe the instructor is making an issue out of looking at it, to promote an understanding of the device, and interpretation of the data being provided. Since, it does appear that the OP says he has one.

The majority of common day training aircraft are equipped with a VSI.

To be fair, you were the one who brought up the instructor comment.

Yes, I agree with instructors that stress the importance of looking outside. That is a big problem when learning for many students . Not looking at the vsi has probably never been an actual problem for any Ppl student ever. That doesn’t mean I think you should never look at it either. For crying out loud.

I think the OP probably mistook the importance of what was probably an innocuous comment by his instructor to be a big deal. Just my guess.

To be clear to the OP. Using the VSI to confirm what you’re seeing outside is a good thing. Using it as a primary instrument to tell if you’re holding altitude is probably not the best way to go when you are a PPL student.

Yes, I agree with instructors that stress the importance of looking outside. That is a big problem when learning for many students . Not looking at the vsi has probably never been an actual problem for any Ppl student ever. That doesn’t mean I think you should never look at it either. For crying out loud.

I think the OP probably mistook the importance of what was probably an innocuous comment by his instructor to be a big deal. Just my guess.
I’m certainly not intending to create an argument, I just don’t want to send the wrong message to our student in training OP. It’s important for instructors to teach the efficiency of scanning the panel and looking outside.

To be clear to the OP. Using the VSI to confirm what you’re seeing outside is a good thing. Using it as a primary instrument to tell if you’re holding altitude is probably not the best way to go when you are a PPL student.
Agree.

I’m certainly not intending to create an argument, I just don’t want to send the wrong message to our student in training OP. It’s important for instructors to teach the efficiency of scanning the panel and looking outside.
I have over 200 flight hours and know to not stare at the instruments

My instructor never told me to stare at it? He teaches me to use it so I can plan my decent times, or time to get to a certain altitude

No argument here.

What’s inaccurate? How would you tell?

Might be a fun conversation with the instructor.

“How does this thing work?”

Which will lead to...

“Are we legal to fly with it broken?”

Which might lead to...

“Depends on what’s actually wrong...”

:)

OR IFR student for that matter.

OR IFR student for that matter.
It is primary for some things in IFR, is it not, but perhaps not straight and level flight, I think that's altimeter? I started studying for IR, but haven't done anything in earnest yet.

It is primary for some things in IFR, is it not, but perhaps not straight and level flight, I think that's altimeter? I started studying for IR, but haven't done anything in earnest yet.

Oh, sorry. Yeah, you'd drive yourself insane trying to hold altitude with a VSI, even if it wasn't one of the standard "7-second lag" variety. It's supporting/cross-check, and also the first instrument you'd choose to sacrifice and break the glass on in a blocked-static-port situation :D

If you have a long decent, and calculate an appropriate rate of decent to your destination, then yes, you will use a VSI in VFR flight.

I'm usually too lazy to do that though.

Back